How to do a cutback. Tips???

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This guy has always had one of the best cutbacks imho. Still got it at 50!

http://instagr.am/p/CgQa1NpFlqe/
:jamon:
The dad of that Jackson kid surfs pretty good. Back in the Momentum era Taylor Knox was my favorite surfer to try to emulate. Face it, none of us were going to surf like Kelly, Machado or the squirrley little Hawaiian kid but you could watch a video section of Taylor Knox and you had something you could try to emulate your next session. I always viewed his surfing to be as close to technically perfect as any average Joe could aspire to. On rail surfing at its best. Joel Parkinson is very similar in that way too.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
The best roundhouse I've ever seen was in one of the old Billabong videos(VHS) in the late 80's/early 90's. Can't remember which one, but I think it was "In The Wind", and it was at the beginning of "Breed" by Nirvana. I think I do them just like that:ROFLMAO:

EDIT: Wow, "In the Wind" is on YouTube(horrible quality). The roundhouse I'm referring to starts at 18:48.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ghostshaper

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
If you're trying to get there, your trailing arm will naturally become your leading arm.
uhmmmm, I’m not very good but I think your leading hand will naturally always be your leading hand… unless you’re flapping, in which case your leading shoulder is always your leading shoulder, no..??..

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
uhmmmm, I’m not very good but I think your leading hand will naturally always be your leading hand… unless you’re flapping, in which case your leading shoulder is always your leading shoulder, no..??..
Leading arm/shoulder (left) becomes pivot zone/point.

Trailing arm/shoulder(right) becomes the lead, swings you through the turn, driving you back to the power source.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Funny how you ask for tips. Cause a question mark means asking. Then casa-correct another post. Kinda like a wanna be lawyer. “Don’t ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.”

Whatever. Here’s a new Mason clip featuring some textbook cutbacks to off the lip rebounds by Mick Fanning.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Funny how you ask for tips. Cause a question mark means asking. Then casa-correct another post. Kinda like a wanna be lawyer. “Don’t ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.“

The request for tips was a joke - no amount of tips will help anyone do a turn like that.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think the guys who do cutbacks with heavy upper body rotation and their arms up in the air, even though they are really cranking their boards around, are doing a very ugly maneuver. Keeping the leading hand low and letting your hips rather than your shoulders propel the rotation is much more appealing, at least to my eye.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think the guys who do cutbacks with heavy upper body rotation and their arms up in the air, even though they are really cranking their boards around, are doing a very ugly maneuver. Keeping the leading hand low and letting your hips rather than your shoulders propel the rotation is much more appealing, at least to my eye.
1658541802964.jpeg
Disco cutbacks suck lol.

That’s how you do it bs snowboarding. Back elbow tucked in and drive the hips.
Start high. Finish low.

Plus if you had to rotate the upper body than how why do grab rail turns works?

Last edited: