How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
maybe there were other factors involved, did you ever think of that?

like maybe a 3rd-rate fast food chain that has been floundering for the last few decades isn’t the best example to make your point.
I'm sure there are other factors but having his payroll expense suddenly go up likely $5,000-$8,000 a month based on the number of employees because of the new law was the final nail in the coffin.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I'm sure there are other factors but having his payroll expense suddenly go up likely $5,000-$8,000 a month based on the number of employees because of the new law was the final nail in the coffin.

and probably if you dug into that location’s finances there would be some interesting revelations.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
and probably if you dug into that location’s finances there would be some interesting revelations.
Again, I don't doubt that the business was on shaky ground. Just like many individuals carry debt and are paycheck to paycheck a lot of businesses are the same way. Having your payroll expense go up $5,000-$8,000 a month is a pretty big fukking deal if you're a business in that position. Unlike the government where you get your paycheck, a small business can't magically print money out of thin air or simply jack up local taxes to make payroll.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Feel free to google average margins of fast food or any other type of restaurant

They most likely pinch pennies when it comes to other expenses

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
maybe there were other factors involved, did you ever think of that?

like maybe a 3rd-rate fast food chain that has been floundering for the last few decades isn’t the best example to make your point.
I’m sure it’s probably anything but sudden massive increase in the cost of labor….

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
how are people supposed to live if they don’t have a living wage?
Develop a marketable skill.

BTW, and I can’t believe this still has to be explained, if you raise everyone’s pay the price of everything goes up negating any benefit.

Do you realize that flipping burgers at a fast food establishment as never a job designed to support independent living. When I had my first job at KFC the only guy that worked there who was supporting himself was the manager.

Now, for some reason everyone working at a KFC should be able support a family of four? Why?

It’s entry level work. It’s not a career.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
the welfare of workers is secondary to the welfare of owners. If business owners don't start businesses then these workers wouldn't have income at all.

Reactions: npsp

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Feel free to google average margins of fast food or any other type of restaurant

They most likely pinch pennies when it comes to other expenses
I googled McD's Net Profit Margin. I saw 31.83%. That's a lot of pennies.

The notion that the working poor with two-three jobs are going to en masse develop/improve skills is comical. They're going to become foot soldiers in retail theft rings or self-medicate until the fentanyl works. I don't have a realistic solution for what to do about the losers in a capitalist system. Neither does capitalism or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Meanwhile in recent elections in Florida:

Ron DeSantis couldn't clear 60%
Increasing property tax exemptions couldn't clear 60%
$15/hr minimum wage cleared 60%

In my opinion, I am not sure if bumping the minimum wage is the right thing to do. 60% of Florida is.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I googled McD's Net Profit Margin. I saw 31.83%. That's a lot of pennies.

The notion that the working poor with two-three jobs are going to en masse develop/improve skills is comical. They're going to become foot soldiers in retail theft rings or self-medicate until the fentanyl works. I don't have a realistic solution for what to do about the losers in a capitalist system. Neither does capitalism or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Meanwhile in recent elections in Florida:

Ron DeSantis couldn't clear 60%
Increasing property tax exemptions couldn't clear 60%
$15/hr minimum wage cleared 60%

In my opinion, I am not sure if bumping the minimum wage is the right thing to do. 60% of Florida is.
This is why McDonald's is switching to robots.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
fast food isnt a career. dunno why people think they deserve to make as much money as people who developed and nutured a skillset other than - would you like fries with that? these jobs are for teenagers.
Used to be for teenagers. Californiacation is alive and well.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You know, in the 70's people made great livings working at fast food places.

The trick was selling drugs at the drive through.

Fast food/ weed dispensaries.

Problem solved.
You want some reds with that burrito?

Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You build your skill set

true, and many people work low wage jobs while attending school. they still have to pay rent while they're in school.

this board is full of privileged folks who have won the game of life and it's easy for us to forget how the lower-income class lives.