How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I googled McD's Net Profit Margin. I saw 31.83%. That's a lot of pennies.
Another poster who doesn’t understand the difference between the corporation and the franchisee :foreheadslap: :roflmao:

Yes- the corporation does very well. However the corporation is not a restaurant chain. Their main business is real estate, licensing, and being the company store for the franchises. The individual franchise margins barely compete with an average SP year. The only corporate stores are a few high profile locations and special locations like airports, stadiums etc.

That’s why these policies are so dumb and meant to appease the culture warriors. They say “U BIG CORPORATION VERY RICH, MUST PAY MORE!!!” when in reality the majority of stores are independently owned.

]The notion that the working poor with two-three jobs are going to en masse develop/improve skills is comical. They're going to become foot soldiers in retail theft rings or self-medicate until the fentanyl works. I don't have a realistic solution for what to do about the losers in a capitalist system. Neither does capitalism or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Mostly agree. The bottom quarter will always struggle. The question is how do you catch those people and subsidize their ability to improve their skill set before they get older and more difficult to transition.

There are plenty of trades where you can work as an assistant and get paid to learn and eventually own your own business.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Another poster who doesn’t understand the difference between the corporation and the franchisee :foreheadslap: :roflmao:

Yes- the corporation does very well. However the corporation is not a restaurant chain. Their main business is real estate, licensing, and being the company store for the franchises. The individual franchise margins barely compete with an average SP year. The only corporate stores are a few high profile locations and special locations like airports, stadiums etc.

That’s why these policies are so dumb and meant to appease the culture warriors. They say “U BIG CORPORATION VERY RICH, MUST PAY MORE!!!” when in reality the majority of stores are independently owned.

Mostly agree. The bottom quarter will always struggle. The question is how do you catch those people and subsidize their ability to improve their skill set before they get older and more difficult to transition.

There are plenty of trades where you can work as an assistant and get paid to learn and eventually own your own business.
Cool you should get on spreading that word, because if Florida is approving $15/hr minimum wage and I was a no on that one, you have much bigger mountains to climb than convincing me. Namaste.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I can flip T-bills and pretty much make that much. That's with a few 30 second phone calls a year. I'm guessing that's significantly less hassle than owning a franchise.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the welfare of workers is secondary to the welfare of owners. If business owners don't start businesses then these workers wouldn't have income at all.
I like when you're trying to be sarcastic but you land on the truth

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
EBITDA = Earnings Before I Tricked the Dumb Auditor
It probably beats being a "housing provider" in CA.

Something reasonable is going to be about a million bucks.

You can probably rent the place for maybe 3,500 a month. 12 X 3500 = 42,000 a year. Now subtract taxes, insurance, repairs/maintenance and you are left with "fvck this."

"Housing provider" should probably be changed to "I'm an idiot." At least in most of CA.

EDIT: I don't think the cost of buying a MD franchise includes the real estate that the building sits on. Probably doesn't include the building either.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Not really sure what you are getting at here :unsure:
Part of the partisan re-alignment we've seen in the Trump Age is disdain for redistributionist policies and minimum wage hikes and protectionism, and fondness for tax cuts has flown out the fukn window relative to 2012 Romney/Ryan.

IMHO a couple more cycles and both parties leading candidates will sound like Bernie circa 2016. YMMV.

Quality posts from you and GWS on how the franchisee is squeezed by corporate like a baby bird found by a snake.

• Love
Reactions: sirfun

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Part of the partisan re-alignment we've seen in the Trump Age is disdain for redistributionist policies and minimum wage hikes and protectionism, and fondness for tax cuts has flown out the fukn window relative to 2012 Romney/Ryan.
I don't have a problem with them on the surface, I just don't think that they work. I don't see how raising the minimum wage does not result in increased prices when you are already operating on a 5-8% margin. When those minimum wage workers rely on other minimum wage businesses for their daily wares and services, then the cost of living goes up for them and it ends up being a wash.

Quality posts from you and GWS on how the franchisee is squeezed by corporate like a baby bird found by a snake.
Thanks :beer: Which is kind of my point. I don't see why anyone would invest in a fast food chain at those margins unless they are using some leverage?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
this board is full of privileged folks who have won the game of life and it's easy for us to forget how the lower-income class lives.
oh fuck right off with that. i and many like me/here came from humble beginnings - not poor by any means but I hammered a skill since the age of 16 and here I am still hammering that skill 30 something years later. didnt win anything. grit my man. my first job in my field was for 10 bucks an hour. i think like 3 or 4 dollars mnore than the minimum wage at the time.