How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Okay so there you have it. If you're an East Coaster, you need guaranteed surf in July/August before you snap and go on a shooting spree, to tide you over until the fishing turns on, the surf gets good, the air dries out and cools off some....

Best bet is Mainland Mexico, specifically something South of PV provided there's no hurricanes.

If you have a few extra vacation days, burn them between Thanksgiving and Christmas and go to California.

Good weather = incredible conditions and uncrowded surf in a beautiful place up past Pt Conception
Windy upcoast = it will still stand an excellent chance of being clean in Southern California
Raining = snowboarding.

And for all of you talking about Sierra Cement, or the San Gabriels not being very good, try Mountain Creek in Vernon Township New Jersey, then never, ever, for as long as you live, complain, ever again, about snowboarding in California.
All great vacation options for minimum wage employees if only the minimum wage were to be raised to 15 bucks an hour.

Except here.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you can't handle 5 hours in a plane, you're not going to like 17 hours in a plane. Or if you go to Cape Town, 17 hours plus a 2 hour layover plus 2.5 more hours.
J-Bay would be my dream surf trip. Perhaps someday. I also have family on an island between Finland and Sweden that I'd like to visit in the next few years. No surf there though.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Wait, I thought the Trump economy made you rich?
Didn't he say stock market? Better cash in now, I see capital gains taxes going up soon, and not a little.

Flights from the east coast to europe can be as low as a few hundred bucks. It's occasionally cheaper to fly to Paris than NYC from LA.

You can do Hossegor bare bones. Stay in a hostel or camp. It's fun and you'll meet people from all over the world. And the waves pump.
Hossegor is cheap as fuck, especially if you camp. And yes, waves are fucking amazing. Watch out for the Aussie surfers though, buncha moochers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You don’t even need to camp in hossegor to save money in the fall. It’s stupid how much the price of apartments goes down, from talking with other foreigners it was almost the same as camping. Although I could see it being a big difference during peak season.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm with GromsDad on this one. I've been to London, Barcelona, and the stretch from Barcelona to Perpignan. If I don't have to go back to Europe for work I won't. No thanks. I don't think counting on your boards getting on the trains is a wise idea, and everyone I've ever asked says you desperately need a car in SW France to chase sandbars and avoid crowds.

Gas costs a fucking fortune and everyone and their brother says France is crazy tide-sensitive, you need to be in your wetsuit, at the spot, paddling out, if it looks like whatever the tide is doing *could* make the waves improve. I've been told the current can be insane.

It makes about negative infinity sense to leave the East Coast Sept/Oct/Nov. July/August is the bail time.

I've travelled a little more than GromsDad, and if I've learned one thing, it's that I'm a North American. I like Canada and Mexico the most.

AND CALIFORNIA
I agree to an extent. It's hard to justify leaving CA or even the east coast during the prime season of France from a surf quality standpoint. And you definitely want a car.

However if I were coming from the east coast, I would take France over CA in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about the sandbanks there.

Reactions: sizzld1

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Airfare are super cheap right now all over, because nobody wants to travel and deal with unknown Covid issues and restrictions.

Getting tests just prior to leaving and then again coming back. Risk of quarantines when arriving, and assorted other closed and lock-downs businesses and tourist related activities, make it a gamble having a typical fun and event filled trip.

You can fly RT to Hawaii for under $250 on some off-peak days right now. But you need to test positive just before leaving, and again tested when you arrive. And likely will need to test before you come back home, depending on location of "home".

We haven't seen RT prices like that for 30 years, because no one's going anywhere far, except the wealthy.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Airfare are super cheap right now all over, because nobody wants to travel and deal with unknown Covid issues and restrictions.

Getting tests just prior to leaving and then again coming back. Risk of quarantines when arriving, and assorted other closed and lock-downs businesses and tourist related activities, make it a gamble having a typical fun and event filled trip.

You can fly RT to Hawaii for under $250 on some off-peak days right now. But you need to test positive just before leaving, and again tested when you arrive. And likely will need to test before you come back home, depending on location of "home".

We haven't seen RT prices like that for 30 years, because no one's going anywhere far, except the wealthy.
appreciate that captain obvious!

RT to Hawaii usually costs me around 450ish pre pandemic..same as a flight to CR, or a little cheaper for mainland Mex.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
McDs will soon be 80%+ automated.

I generally only eat there when doing long drives and I'm on a time crunch, but their new spicy chicken popeye knockoff looks flame

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
However if I were coming from the east coast, I would take France over CA in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about the sandbanks there.
I bet I'd feel the same way if I was going for a week, but most of us aren't. If you live in VB or farther South, you are probably planning on a week+, "primary" surf trip in June/July/August to someplace that catches Souths in the Pacific, eg Latin America. There's another subset who live somewhere between Hatteras and Greenland, especially NJ and North, and they want to go somewhere in January/February, and requirement #1 is trunks.

The beauty of California is that it's a plausible 3/4 day weekend trip. You only have to be at the airport an hour before departure. You can get to California from lots of places. They have an ample supply of red-eyes to save you a vacation day. The gnarly time change is after you are done surfing, not at the start of your trip.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I bet I'd feel the same way if I was going for a week, but most of us aren't. If you live in VB or farther South, you are probably planning on a week+, "primary" surf trip in June/July/August to someplace that catches Souths in the Pacific, eg Latin America. There's another subset who live somewhere between Hatteras and Greenland, especially NJ and North, and they want to go somewhere in January/February, and requirement #1 is trunks.

The beauty of California is that it's a plausible 3/4 day weekend trip. You only have to be at the airport an hour before departure. You can get to California from lots of places. They have an ample supply of red-eyes to save you a vacation day. The gnarly time change is after you are done surfing, not at the start of your trip.
Agreed. In terms of swell and weather consistency California is a pretty safe bet in fall and winter. if you are mobile you will find waves somewhere. You may have to choose between battling it out at a point break with dozens of heads or surfing relatively alone in the worlds most perfectly groomed closeouts (like where i live lol) but there will be waves.

The overall issue for both east and west coasters in terms Europe is that you are leaving the best conditions in your home for the hope of the same conditions where you are going. It's tough to justify from an apples to apples standpoint. You have to look at it more holistically as a travel experience where you hope for good surf too.