How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The point i was getting at is his views and opinions of alot of stuff make more sense now that I know he hasn't traveled and experienced other cultures. I kind of had a hunch he hasnt left Jersey or the states much and its a little easier to sympathize now.

I realize that vacationing with a family is very expensive so not judging there just an observation but Id have to imagine there are much cheaper places abroad to vacation to than California.
I just spent 2 minutes looking - October RT from Newark to Paris on United is just over $500. It's got nothing to do with money and everything to do with Grossdad having no interest in seeing the world.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I just spent 2 minutes looking - October RT from Newark to Paris on United is just over $500. It's got nothing to do with money and everything to do with Grossdad having no interest in seeing the world.
surely a captain of the toner cartridge industry could afford a trip to Europe.

also, I’m willing to bet that the only reason he even goes to CA in the first place is because he’s bitching a ride with the surf team when they go out for nationals

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
yes but if he has a family of four thats 2g's on just plane tickets..factor in hotel, food and recreation and it could get close to 10g's for a vacation..

for ref - a week in CR living it up, splurging on nice place to stay/eat/ 4 wheel drive rental/ maybe some ATV's an sh!t like that costs me just under 2 grand all in solo. I can do Indo/Bali for much cheaper but x that by 4 and guess what - I aint going on vacation!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
yes but if he has a family of four thats 2g's on just plane tickets..factor in hotel, food and recreation and it could get close to 10g's for a vacation..

for ref - a week in CR living it up, splurging on nice place to stay/eat/ 4 wheel drive rental/ maybe some ATV's an sh!t like that costs me just under 2 grand all in solo. I can do Indo/Bali for much cheaper but x that by 4 and guess what - I aint going on vacation!
California is no less expensive.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm with GromsDad on this one. I've been to London, Barcelona, and the stretch from Barcelona to Perpignan. If I don't have to go back to Europe for work I won't. No thanks. I don't think counting on your boards getting on the trains is a wise idea, and everyone I've ever asked says you desperately need a car in SW France to chase sandbars and avoid crowds.

Gas costs a fucking fortune and everyone and their brother says France is crazy tide-sensitive, you need to be in your wetsuit, at the spot, paddling out, if it looks like whatever the tide is doing *could* make the waves improve. I've been told the current can be insane.

It makes about negative infinity sense to leave the East Coast Sept/Oct/Nov. July/August is the bail time.

I've travelled a little more than GromsDad, and if I've learned one thing, it's that I'm a North American. I like Canada and Mexico the most.

AND CALIFORNIA

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I subsist on beans, eggs, and collard greens I grow in my driveway to save money so I can go annoy ogro a month out of the year and take my kids out for nuggets here and there. the struggle is fkn real, you DINK motherfkrs

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I subsist on beans, eggs, and collard greens I grow in my driveway to save money so I can go annoy ogro a month out of the year and take my kids out for nuggets here and there. the struggle is fkn real, you DINK motherfkrs
What time of year do you plant your eggs to grow a good egg bush/tree/vine in your driveway? NPK nums on the fertilizer?

Reactions: hal9000

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm with GromsDad on this one. I've been to London, Barcelona, and the stretch from Barcelona to Perpignan. If I don't have to go back to Europe for work I won't. No thanks. I don't think counting on your boards getting on the trains is a wise idea, and everyone I've ever asked says you desperately need a car in SW France to chase sandbars and avoid crowds.

Gas costs a fucking fortune and everyone and their brother says France is crazy tide-sensitive, you need to be in your wetsuit, at the spot, paddling out, if it looks like whatever the tide is doing *could* make the waves improve. I've been told the current can be insane.

It makes about negative infinity sense to leave the East Coast Sept/Oct/Nov. July/August is the bail time.

I've travelled a little more than GromsDad, and if I've learned one thing, it's that I'm a North American. I like Canada and Mexico the most.

AND CALIFORNIA
Like I've said, counting on waves anywhere in the Atlantic is silly, listen to ifailalot!

For me, those kind of trips are equal parts food, surf and culture immersion.

If you're going to France/Spain just to surf your brains out, you're doing it wrong.

PS Gas is expensive but those tiny diesels don't need much fuel to get you to the sandbars.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay so there you have it. If you're an East Coaster, you need guaranteed surf in July/August before you snap and go on a shooting spree, to tide you over until the fishing turns on, the surf gets good, the air dries out and cools off some....

Best bet is Mainland Mexico, specifically something South of PV provided there's no hurricanes.

If you have a few extra vacation days, burn them between Thanksgiving and Christmas and go to California.

Good weather = incredible conditions and uncrowded surf in a beautiful place up past Pt Conception
Windy upcoast = it will still stand an excellent chance of being clean in Southern California
Raining = snowboarding.

And for all of you talking about Sierra Cement, or the San Gabriels not being very good, try Mountain Creek in Vernon Township New Jersey, then never, ever, for as long as you live, complain, ever again, about snowboarding in California.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Okay so there you have it. If you're an East Coaster, you need guaranteed surf in July/August before you snap and go on a shooting spree, to tide you over until the fishing turns on, the surf gets good, the air dries out and cools off some....

Best bet is Mainland Mexico, specifically something South of PV provided there's no hurricanes.

If you have a few extra vacation days, burn them between Thanksgiving and Christmas and go to California.

Good weather = incredible conditions and uncrowded surf in a beautiful place up past Pt Conception
Windy upcoast = it will still stand an excellent chance of being clean in Southern California
Raining = snowboarding.

And for all of you talking about Sierra Cement, or the San Gabriels not being very good, try Mountain Creek in Vernon Township New Jersey, then never, ever, for as long as you live, complain, ever again, about snowboarding in California.
or maybe just find some other hobby to keep you occupied when the surf is flat

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Work and watching TV and jacking off and bong rips are all things that "keep me occupied". I'm not a retiree with no idea what to to do with himself. I have a job.

The problem with those non-surfing hobbies is none of them make me any less pissed off that there aren't waves.

I tried. I had several summers to try growing up. I tried snorkelling. I fished for snook from 5:30a-7:30a and 6:30p-8:30p and read Lord of the Rings and listened to Metallica and napped all. Day. Long. I tried skateboarding. I tried skimboarding. I tried riding my bike. I tried asking my parents to get a slip for our boat and then had my friends come up with gas money and went wakeboarding all summer long.

None of it worked.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Work and watching TV and jacking off and bong rips are all things that "keep me occupied". I'm not a retiree with no idea what to to do with himself. I have a job.

The problem with those non-surfing hobbies is none of them make me any less pissed off that there aren't waves.

I tried. I had several summers to try growing up. I tried snorkelling. I fished for snook from 5:30a-7:30a and 6:30p-8:30p and read Lord of the Rings and listened to Metallica and napped all. Day. Long. I tried skateboarding. I tried skimboarding. I tried riding my bike. I tried asking my parents to get a slip for our boat and then had my friends come up with gas money and went wakeboarding all summer long.

None of it worked.
It would be a healthy addiction if it weren't so goldarned hard on the gristle.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
surely a captain of the toner cartridge industry could afford a trip to Europe.

also, I’m willing to bet that the only reason he even goes to CA in the first place is because he’s bitching a ride with the surf team when they go out for nationals
This place is a trip.

Actually never went out for nationals. Was supposed to go out for several events including nationals last june.......but Covid. This June is looking unlikely too for the west coast surf contest scene. Bummed for the kids.

Honestly Europe doesn't interest me for surf travel. If I ever cross the Atlantic to surf it will be to go to South Africa. Considering either Hawaii or Puerto Rico in February. Son's best friend is going to PR so we might go there. My preference would be Hawaii. The call will be my son's to make. Any money I save if we do PR instead of Hawaii will go into the switch from DSLR to Mirrorless.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

None of it worked.
That actually sounds frustrating.

Skateboarding always did the trick for me. I’ve gone through times in my life where I could take or leave surfing and just wanted to skate 24-7.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
This place is a trip.

Actually never went out for nationals. Was supposed to go out for several events including nationals last june.......but Covid. This June is looking unlikely too for the west coast surf contest scene. Bummed for the kids.

Honestly Europe doesn't interest me for surf travel. If I ever cross the Atlantic to surf it will be to go to South Africa. Considering either Hawaii or Puerto Rico in February. Son's best friend is going to PR so we might go there. My preference would be Hawaii. The call will be my son's to make. Any money I save if we do PR instead of Hawaii will go into the switch from DSLR to Mirrorless.
I almost bought the Fuji mirrorless rangefinder dealio

I think I might just buy a new pixel phone instead...I don't think I'm going to keep taking my DLSR backpacking anymore...easier and lighter to just bring the phone.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This place is a trip.

If you can't handle 5 hours in a plane, you're not going to like 17 hours in a plane. Or if you go to Cape Town, 17 hours plus a 2 hour layover plus 2.5 more hours.