How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I posted this after the initial slide and it continues to bomb.

Trading halted at 1.86 after dropping another 43% today.

NY Community Bancorp - Regional Bank

14.22 -> 1.70

View attachment 174528
i hate this kind of thing coz i have some money tied up in a very successful local regional bank....but it seems like every time one of these regional banks sneezes, every other regional bank in the country gets a cold. :cursing:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
i hate this kind of thing coz i have some money tied up in a very successful local regional bank....but it seems like every time one of these regional banks sneezes, every other regional bank in the country gets a cold. :cursing:
Yep. Wish I could short these regional banks, but every time I check, stocks are listed as HTB (hard to borrow).

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
NYCB....at $1.86 (last traded price I can see), one could gamble on it and justify the reasoning as a type of options purchase that doesn't expire (might go to zero too and then just like with unexercised options, you are s.o.o.l.).

And Steve Mnuchin (former Sec of Treasury under Pres Trump) is getting appointed to the board? He had connections with Saudi moolah, wonder if he still does?

PS
Is this fall similar to Silicon Valley Bank's fall?

PPS Ten minutes later, back open at $3.25 and change. Short covering bump or behind closed doors cash infusion bump?

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
NYBC....at $1.86 (last traded price I can see), one could gamble on it and justify the reasoning as a type of options purchase that doesn't expire (might go to zero too and then just like with unexercised options, you are s.o.o.l.).

And Steve Mnuchin (former Sec of Treasury under Pres Trump) is getting appointed to the board? He had connections with Saudi moolah, wonder if he still does?

PS
Is this fall similar to Silicon Valley Bank's fall?

PPS Ten minutes later, back open at $3.25 and change. Short covering bump or behind closed doors cash infusion bump?

1709756738316.png

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Yeah, bought most of my shares under $400 and keep buying more. I'm a little more diversified nowadays. Up 4.4% YTD, so pretty happy with my gains. VOO is 60% of my holdings, most everything else is 4-6% with no particular rhyme or reason.

I hold:
Vanguard S&P 500
Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets
Vanguard FTSE Europe
Vanguard Total Stock Market
Vanguard Growth
Main Street Capital
Down Jones US Home Construction
Applied Materials
Costco
VanEck Semiconductor ETF
indie semiconductor (this is the only loser in my portfolio atm)

Basically, I'm long the US economy and the picks and shovels for AI/tech. Not looking to directly invest in "services" companies like Palantir, Facebook, Google, banks etc, I like places that build real physical things.

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Basically, I'm long the US economy and the picks and shovels for AI/tech. Not looking to directly invest in "services" companies like Palantir, Facebook, Google, banks etc, I like places that build real physical things.
i feel that. a couple years ago, i felt i was a little heavy in the Shiny Things sectors and light in the sectors that actually make and do things....so i ran out and bought CAT, WM, GT, Garmin, and a few others. no regrets, have done well on most of it (except Goodyear, so far). a little diversification and balance are good things to have :waving:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, bought most of my shares under $400 and keep buying more. I'm a little more diversified nowadays. Up 4.4% YTD, so pretty happy with my gains. VOO is 60% of my holdings, most everything else is 4-6% with no particular rhyme or reason.

I hold:
Vanguard S&P 500
Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets
Vanguard FTSE Europe
Vanguard Total Stock Market
Vanguard Growth
Main Street Capital
Down Jones US Home Construction
Applied Materials
Costco
VanEck Semiconductor ETF
indie semiconductor (this is the only loser in my portfolio atm)

1709761694420.jpeg
My emergency stash. Lawyers guns and money time hits and good luck getting cash from the stokes.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Pretty sure CCKeith and I live in the same county. I agree with the above on a macro level but there is a lot of cashed up people whose houses need work plus new developments, so I figured it would be a bit safer for the labor pool here :unsure: Guess not.

On that note, today the tile guy who did work on my bathroom get back to me to finish the work we discussed. Also had 2 subcontractors for my investment home in the southeast call today, both of which I have never worked with, looking to see if I needed any work done.

Seems that work is drying up, which means that it’s actually a good time to get those projects done that you’ve wanted to do for while :beer:
Construction isn’t just homebuilding. Commercial/office is dead. New homes are selling great almost everywhere.

Reactions: grapedrink

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA

View attachment 174533
There's maybe a larger story here. NYCB also took over Signature Bank which had gone under. Signature was started by my son's high school friend's father and was generally regarded as a good bank. My son interned there during college and sat in on some investor calls. They did a lot of NYC taxi medallion loans, specializing in that area and helping immigrants willing to borrow from relatives and to practically live in a cab to get a bank loan to buy a medallion. The City Of NY was also glad to sell new medallions for 1 Million dollars each at the peak. Then the city let the rideshare companies in which collapsed the medallion price system that the city had created, resulting in at least two medallion owner suicides. Signature Bank took a lot of losses in that area which may have caused them to take on greater risk with the Crypto deposits which ultimately killed the bank.

It is interesting that the city started the medallion system at a cost of $5 each around the time of the great depression because everyone with a car was operating a cab and none of them were making any money at it. The city hoped that by limiting the number of cabs that the cabbies would be able to make a decent living. Its amazing how things distort over time.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
NVDA nearing $1k

Incredible year to see NVDA, SMCI, MSTR eclipsing the 1k mark.
Someone was comparing NVDA's rise to Cisco the other day and predicting a subsequent fall. Maybe that ends-up being true, but NVDA grew to more than 10x Cisco. You need a log scale to compare the two.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Someone was comparing NVDA's rise to Cisco the other day and predicting a subsequent fall. Maybe that ends-up being true, but NVDA grew to more than 10x Cisco. You need a log scale to compare the two.
My old supervisor bought in to CSCO in the late '90s. It appreciated 10X by the peak of the dot com boom. He contemplated selling but didn't because he didn't want to pay the cap gains. Ride that sucker all the way down. He eventually sold and doubled his money but learned a fat lesson, and CSCO is still in business, making money.

NVDA will surely give a lot of people a scary ride down, lessons will be learned, and they will still be in business in 20 years, making money.

Reactions: sussle