Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Small world? Just got off the phone with the wife, two layoffs. One in k-12 education (not a teacher) and I'm pretty sure the other one is in IT.

Trades would make sense as real estate isn't moving.

Anyone who works in retail will tell you sales have been down for a long time (despite the gubmint numbers, which are likely propped up by inflation).

The surfboard business is slow as hell, and from what I hear and personal experience turnaround times are faster than ever.

I am told by a person in the know there is essentially a hiring freeze at my employer (healthcare), HR just isn't coming out and saying it.
and we have more strikes coming in my world..yay!

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I don’t think a lot of people think like inflation.

Savings can be at an all time high, which feels good, but in reality everything is twice as expensive so you actually lost ground.

you don’t really realize this until you’re faced with a grim reality of not enough savings to weather a household “need”.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
CRWD don't follow this one, but since Subway bought in, I figured I might as well have a look. It dropped below 300 this morning. Looking for next bounce around 272 ?

1709656691465.png

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I don’t think a lot of people think like inflation.

Savings can be at an all time high, which feels good, but in reality everything is twice as expensive so you actually lost ground.

you don’t really realize this until you’re faced with a grim reality of not enough savings to weather a household “need”.
I have two wealthy friends, that made tech money, and are under 40. They both said that they are spending less money these days and putting it into markets. They said no value in going out to fancy dinners or taking exotic trips at current prices. More cooking at home and domestic travel. They said their circles are doing the same. They are stacking cash and slowly buying into ETF's and crypto. Daily spend has no value. Even their wives are doing pilates off Youtube lol.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have two wealthy friends, that made tech money, and are under 40. They both said that they are spending less money these days and putting it into markets. They said no value in going out to fancy dinners or taking exotic trips at current prices. More cooking at home and domestic travel. They said their circles are doing the same. They are stacking cash and slowly buying into ETF's and crypto. Daily spend has no value. Even their wives are doing pilates off Youtube lol.
imo, the “nice” things really aren’t worth it anymore.

most experience based expenditures are mediocre if not disappointing at best these days. good luck getting customer support if things go wrong.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That’s exactly what they said.

also this rich gey couple who surfs my local (they rip), just got back from the Swiss alps and said it was lame. Nickle and diming everything at the resort. These are rich fags (their words not mine) who are super bougie and said no high end value out there.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That’s exactly what they said.

also this rich gey couple who surfs my local (they rip), just got back from the Swiss alps and said it was lame. Nickle and diming everything at the resort. These are rich fags (their words not mine) who are super bougie and said no high end value out there.
That's a real problem when employment in "advanced" economies is almost entirely service sector.
AI will fix this.
There are 3 types of customer service in the US: bad service, self-service or no service. AI customer service is all 3.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Crowdstrike ER looks good - the dip was today and it looks good ah ATM. Feels like an nvda good-for-everybody scenario tomorrow.

Reactions: Subway and Mr Doof