How’s the stock market?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Needed to get the bio-techs when they bottomed out (along with all others) in late March. Bought one just before absolute bottom March 17, sold it exactly 2 months later and made 55%. It's been topped out since and hovering the last couple weeks since I sold. Even today it didn't move much and stagnant the last 2 weeks. So sell timing is looking good on one, for a change.

Most bio-techs rocketed April/mid-May and topped out. Other oversold sectors that haven't recovered much the last 2 months are now fully on the radar. Airlines, banks, REIT's and others.

I have a mREIT that got hammered hard, and wishing I had a stop loss on back in March. I had a stop loss on one a few years back (2015), but that one "flash crash" day forced a sell I didn't want, as it recovered back the same day. So, I went back in naked without one on this batch. My bad. It's about 3% or so of retirement acct, so not too detrimental, but notable.

Seems the mREIT's are now on the move yesterday and today. But could just be day-traders moving in as prices are so low, it's like trading penny stocks when $0.20 is a 10 percent gain in a day. Now wishing I bought some at it's bottoms the last week or 2. Would already be up near 50% in last few days. Was thinking about it earlier this week, but didn't have the ballz/confidence it could happen this soon. Well, missed that boat.

Oh well. it's just a very small percentage of our retirement as kind of a aggressive alternative to all cash with minimal/no interest. These mREIT's pay 8-14% dividends, so even if they don't gain much in stock "value" over time, the dividend would pay for the stock itself in 8-10 years give or take. So, I looked at it like a long term "aggressive" savings account that paid high interest. Ya, very, very risky, but if looked at long term, better than cash paying 0.05% at best. After adding up my dividends from it the last few years, and it's current value, I've just about broke even at this point. It did pay 14-16% early on before reality check stepped in and settled at around 12% dividend. So, kept those dividends in cash, instead of re-investing in the stock, like many do/did. Glad I kept those divi's in cash now.

But still wishing I had a stop loss on it, because it will take forever to get it back to where it was in Feb, if ever. Oh well, win some, lose some. Rest of IRA's are like SpaceX launch, so far, and making more in last 2 days ALONE than the entire value lost on that mREIT. And mREIT is now trying to recover.

Oh ya, ACAB, FTP, BLM, and all the other protest acronyms of the day. :cursing:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I may take some off the table next week.

As my father used to say, when there's blood in the streets, buy. When the cab driver is giving you stock tips, get the hell out. (or the erBB. Always do the opposite to what the erBB consensus is. It's a virtually 100% reliable contrary indiactor)
Ya, significant amounts of new money in at this point needs to be VERY selective. Still a few niche's where decent gains can be had, but I'm just riding this roller coaster with cotton candy in one hand, and holding on tight with other, at the moment.

Better than Mr Trump's Wild Ride at Wally World.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The market is perverse. Today's guru is tomorrow's bum. Maybe you're the next guru? I'm just funnin. Go for it.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The market is perverse. Today's guru is tomorrow's bum. Maybe you're the next guru? I'm just funnin. Go for it.
I'm going for bum all the way through.

I'm here for the long game.

Stoke market is gambling pure and simple.

It trips me out that society made this choice.

But I guess risk leads to winning.

Who dares wins!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It's not exactly gambling. You play the market intelligently, take a long term view and diversify and you will be fine. The only way that doesn't work is if the entire country collapses in absolute anarchy and lead becomes our currency.

But let me simplify market movements for y'all. When I was in the bus I used to have my answer ready at all times for "what made the market go up today." I'd have three pages of BS in my head for the client. When my friends asked me what made the market go up I had a one word answer. "Greed." Greed and fear ladies and germs. That's what makes the world go round. Really, I think a working knowledge of mass psychology is more valuable to a PM than the MBA.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hope you are right because I am doing that with my 403bs.

I've also been doing small stock purchases riding the little bumps for fun, which is more like gambling.

I've been making money this entire pandemic.

Just a little

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I've also been doing small stock purchases riding the little bumps for fun, which is more like gambling.

I've been making money this entire pandemic.

Just a little
Me as well.... and it's gambling to an extent, but it's calculated gambling. There are some basic rules of risk management that can minimize exposure (using stops, decent risk-reward ratios, keep any given position at 2% or less of your portfolio etc)... and you can be wrong 40% of the time and still make money. And since it's all commission free these days, there's not a lot of expense.

My SO, on the other hand, trades options, which looks a helluva lot more like gambling to me. At least if I make a bad trade, I can sit on it and hope for an upturn. When her options expire, that's it, win or lose. But her wins are a lot bigger than mine, so there's that.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm going for bum all the way through.

I'm here for the long game.

Stoke market is gambling pure and simple.

It trips me out that society made this choice.

But I guess risk leads to winning.

Who dares wins!
It’s gambling in that there’s no guarantee you’re going to make money but at the same time using common sense I’ve made bank and I’m too stupid and smoke too much reefer to understand anything past the basics of earnings, etc.

Example:
Bitches love yoga pants. Buy Lululemon stock. Profit.
Didn’t take a rocket scientist(me) to figure out it might not be a bad idea to purchase Peloton stock a few days before their most recent earnings report.
Who doesn’t love Chipotles giant burritos? Etc.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It’s gambling in that there’s no guarantee you’re going to make money but at the same time using common sense I’ve made bank and I’m too stupid and smoke too much reefer to understand anything past the basics of earnings, etc.

Example:
Bitches love yoga pants. Buy Lululemon stock. Profit.
Didn’t take a rocket scientist(me) to figure out it might not be a bad idea to purchase Peloton stock a few days before their most recent earnings report.
Who doesn’t love Chipotles giant burritos? Etc.
That, and taking advantage of people freakin the fook out. When there's blood in the streets, buy it up. Such as the fact that oil is not going anywhere anytime soon. I swooped on some oil ETFs at the bottom and . . . . cha-ching! Oh wait . .. . I only put in a few hundred bucks :( :ROFLMAO:

When it seems oversold and gym bros are talking about in the hot tub . . . probably not.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I don't play with the main stash either - mostly just been working my stimulus check money.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That, and taking advantage of people freakin the fook out. When there's blood in the streets, buy it up. Such as the fact that oil is not going anywhere anytime soon. I swooped on some oil ETFs at the bottom and . . . . cha-ching! Oh wait . .. . I only put in a few hundred bucks :( :ROFLMAO:

When it seems oversold and gym bros are talking about in the hot tub . . . probably not.
One of the keys to my system’s success is cross referencing any potential purchases against what Zacks(analysts) and TipRanks(salespeople) say. When both of them say buy/sell/hold they’re usually right. If I was really smart I’d be able to do so much more with Zacks.com info

Reactions: grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
My 401K is going richter.

I am past the point of the crash in March.

Yew!!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I got twitchy and cashed out of TSLA and then it jumped another $100

FK YOUR STUPID FACE, UNIVERSE

• Haha
Reactions: QuadFin