How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
it's interesting to see sector rotation in action.... it's fintech's turn and my fintech positions are starting to climb out of the basement :cheers:

Reactions: PJ

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
it's interesting to see sector rotation in action.... it's fintech's turn and my fintech positions are starting to climb out of the basement :cheers:
casa_nostradamus does not like this :(

However when we have the next big drop, which will happen, he will promptly return to pat himself on his back for his financial future prediction prowess :computer:

Lovin my SOXQ ETF(semiconductor) in my roth ira, 21% increase in cost basis :beer:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sussle and afoaf

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ethical investing is not my problem bro and Palantir tech holds the potential to do as much goodness for this country as badness if not more.

That and I’m a firm believer in giving back to my community so the more I make off PLTR the more that gonna get donated to the various charitable organizations I try and support

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
where's your ethical line when investing?
Well he's not halting trading on Game Stop, liquidating Reddit's honestly purchased shares to bail out one hedge fund naked shorted an American business, so he's light-years ahead of the regulatory apparatus in this country.

He doesn't seem to have taken a bunch of shitty mortgages, blended them (probably in the name of removing accountability as much as diversity) and then said it was bonds made of good mortgages, so he's light-years ahead of the financial sector stocks listed on the NYSE for purchase alongside PLTR.

Haven't asked what the spread between the cost of a C-130 to St. Petersburg and the Wagner wages from a C-130 full of Unhoused Americans would need to be before it was a buy.

Reactions: sdsrfr and sussle

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Palantir is interesting, but some serious big brother type sh!t

where's your ethical line when investing?
more of a feelz line than a bright red line. e.g. i own some AirBnB stock but my opinion of AirBnB as a company has really nosedived in the last couple years, so it's a purchase i regret and would not make again under almost any circumstances. I don't like Apple or Facebook as companies, so i don't have any individual position with either (although i'm sure my mutual funds do). and there's the rub: you can divest yourself of all the icky companies and invest only in ostensibly ethical mutual funds but you're probably not going to do nearly as well as you would otherwise. and not investing in said companies isn't going to change anything. so what are you gonna do? :shrug:

Reactions: afoaf and CutnSnip

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Well he's not halting trading on Game Stop, liquidating Reddit's honestly purchased shares to bail out one hedge fund naked shorted an American business, so he's light-years ahead of the regulatory apparatus in this country.

He doesn't seem to have taken a bunch of shitty mortgages, blended them (probably in the name of removing accountability as much as diversity) and then said it was bonds made of good mortgages, so he's light-years ahead of the financial sector stocks listed on the NYSE for purchase alongside PLTR.

Haven't asked what the spread between the cost of a C-130 to St. Petersburg and the Wagner wages from a C-130 full of Unhoused Americans would need to be before it was a buy.
I’d feel a lot different about investing in, and Palantir in general if the Karp dog wasn’t at the helm. As it stands I’m actually pretty stocked to have invested in the company that has kept Ukraine in the fight.

”Admittedly, we are not a philanthropic organization, but if we build these tools, it is in the service of peace. If people realize that their actions will have consequences, there will be fewer wars, less terrorism.”

Reactions: sussle

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I’d feel a lot different about investing in, and Palantir in general if the Karp dog wasn’t at the helm. As it stands I’m actually pretty stocked to have invested in the company that has kept Ukraine in the fight.

”Admittedly, we are not a philanthropic organization, but if we build these tools, it is in the service of peace. If people realize that their actions will have consequences, there will be fewer wars, less terrorism.”

lol, i'm just stoked to have invested in a company that immediately went up after i bought in and continues to do so, ever since. my standards have declined considerably over the last couple years of beat-downs :roflmao:

Reactions: PJ and Chocki

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
No hike.

But SEP suggests 2 more hikes coming.

Jpow talk:
Jpow just reinforced idea a few more hikes coming.

Acitivity in housing sector remains weak.

Subdued growth to continue.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The DJIA is where it was at 04/04/2021 when inflation was just starting to take off.
1686767695898.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Ethical investing is not my problem bro and Palantir tech holds the potential to do as much goodness for this country as badness if not more.

That and I’m a firm believer in giving back to my community so the more I make off PLTR the more that gonna get donated to the various charitable organizations I try and support

Are you an Effective Altruist?

imo, one should pick any stock they feel comfortable holding. It’s a slippery slope to see who you’re exposed to in the ETFs and other mutual funds if you need to have an ethical ground to stand on.

i don’t think a line can be easily placed between good and bad, bc if you want any exposure to the markets, you’re piling into the game we all know is to some degree rigged.

also, I think some of the “good guys” are just green washing and pandering to a crowd they know have money. There is very little organically good about investing. It’s a 0 sum game, after all.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
What fintech stocks are holding?
which am i holding? UPST, PSFE, ADYEY, LDI, LMND

some have done ok, i've taken a beating on others. UPST is the most interesting, imo, taking on FICO head to head with an alternative credit rating system that uses non-tradtional variables to rank credit worthiness. seems like they've just turned a pretty big corner, imo, to the point where their system is seeing some adoption in traditional banking circles and their portfolios have rising resale value. also have high hopes for LMND and ADYEY; may be fooked on LDI for years :shrug:

Reactions: slipped_disc