How’s the stock market?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There is actually a good chance SVB would have been fine it weren't for the bank run, not to mention their client portfolio.

If the repeals in Dodd-Frank were about bank runs and banks vetting their depositor's sources of income you'd have a case.
I don't see how you can disconnect capitalization requirements from bank runs. Isn't that precisely what capitalization requirements are designed to improve institution resiliency against?

I now think it's highly possible.
I'm glad to see you've bent the knee on this one.

It looks like debt is going up quickly. Do you think the big institutions went leveraged gambling again?

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
Brukus , prior to the 2000 to 08 blow up , Banks had a 10 x leverage rule . Graham had a bill that Clinton signed allowing them to go 50 x and compete with brokers . This brought the Cmo , CDO GNMA bloodbath . The Gunslingers of Wall Street engineered the financial products they peddled world wide .This is much different . Bloomberg is yapping about it right now .

Reactions: brukuns

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Since the American god is money, it's good that we're enslaving ourselves to bankers - Al Soldano.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Brukus , prior to the 2000 to 08 blow up , Banks had a 10 x leverage rule . Graham had a bill that Clinton signed allowing them to go 50 x and compete with brokers . This brought the Cmo , CDO GNMA bloodbath . The Gunslingers of Wall Street engineered the financial products they peddled world wide .This is much different . Bloomberg is yapping about it right now .
So - I read Murray N Rothbard - "The Mystery of Fractional Banking" where it explains how banks lend out many times what their deposits are and whip up money from thin air when they make a loan in excess of their deposits. Where do you find the data on how much a banks outstanding loans are in comparison to their deposits? Like your 10x leverage means that they can lend out 10 dollars for every dollar of deposits they have. Where do they report that?

The president of our local bank used to take us to lunch once in a while - I asked him once and his non answer was like a corkscrew.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
This thread should be named "How's the inflation market" (and Dollar conspiracies).

I am currently working my way up from the ditch. Covered in sh!t :/

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This thread should be named "How's the inflation market" (and Dollar conspiracies).

I am currently working my way up from the ditch. Covered in sh!t :/
If my S&P-indexed rate of return is 7% and inflation is 6.5%, what is my real rate of return?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Transaction costs? Did you agree to say a 1%-.7% management fee? Brokerage houses/banks are pretty good at hiding obscure fees. Check your statement. Closely Then there's the sticky little point of capital gains taxes.

Reactions: kawika

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are we back at "it is impossible to make money and it will all disappear" again? The rich are only getting richer, must be something going right....

View attachment 150747

S&P 500 Returns since 1950 - Inflation Calculator
Right - so the inflation-adjusted return is dependent on stable currency, hence our interest in inflation. You sound poor.
Transaction costs? Did you agree to say a 1%-.7% management fee? Brokerage houses/banks are pretty good at hiding obscure fees. Check your statement. Closely Then there's the sticky little point of capital gains taxes.
Taxes factor heavily into your real rate of return.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
PBLA

Mentioned it before as a coin to keep an eye on for possible bottom scoop. Continuing to drop big for a long time and 99% down from ATH. Will be scooping some if it drops below 0.50 cents.

ATH: $1800
Current: $0.51

1679423498778.png

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores