Home improvement - where to start?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe hardwood plywood will warp less than cheaper softwood plywood. HW is probably double or triple the price, but it sounds like you only need a sheet or two. Temp and moisture changes will cause warpage, so lessen that if you can. There is something called marine grade plywood which sounds cool as fugg and may be an option if this will be exposed to the weather. Home Depot or Lowes should have some hardwood options. Just go pick out a flat sheet. Sometimes its referred to as cabinet grade plywood (I think). You'll see the difference immediately between cabinet grade and softwood that is used in home construction. The hardwood/cabinet grade stuff is usually further away from the registers as its sold in much lower volumes from the cheaper stuff.

Only 50% confident my info is correct.

PM Kento. I think he sells lumber. Or someone on this forum does.
Yeah, marine plywood would be cool but too much $$$. Looking for the cheaper, uglier step child version.

How’s this - $55/ea seems not bad?

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Thinking of replacing tile on our mid floor with some type of laminated wood. Kitchen and living room. Im thinking of remodeling the kitchen as well. Id like to do the floor first because Im not sure what to do with the kitchen. That being said is the space going to be livable while I do it? Is it just gonna be a dust bowl? Ive laid tile but never tore it out.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Thinking of replacing tile on our mid floor with some type of laminated wood. Kitchen and living room. Im thinking of remodeling the kitchen as well. Id like to do the floor first because Im not sure what to do with the kitchen. That being said is the space going to be livable while I do it? Is it just gonna be a dust bowl? Ive laid tile but never tore it out.
We have Kahrs engineered wood flooring throughout and I am gonna do the opposite and get it taken up in our kitchen and put in tile. Wood and water don't mix.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
We have Kahrs engineered wood flooring throughout and I am gonna do the opposite and get it taken up in our kitchen and put in tile. Wood and water don't mix.
I dont put a lot of water on the floor. And we got a sh!t tile. Its like an uneven flagstone. Almost an exterior tile. Previous owners. Ill keep it in the bathrooms.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Pull one up and you’ll have a pretty good idea what the rest of the job entails.
The ones I’ve pulled up here sucked wicked hard. The dust isn’t bad just very labor intensive with the tiles not always coming up intact and all the adhesive to scrape up.

Reactions: Pico

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Dog paws slide on bare hardwood. By carpet I don’t mean shag. Lol.
What about rubber mat(s) for back of truck:shrug: Easy to cut stay flat if thick enough and easy to dry and keep clean. Find a ole door for your work table jyst add some 2x4's for legs using 2 screwed together like a "L" for each keg and you got a sturdy work bench last a lifetime.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Demo will be a mess, cannot stop all of the dust but tarp off as well as possible.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Pull one up and you’ll have a pretty good idea what the rest of the job entails.
The ones I’ve pulled up here sucked wicked hard. The dust isn’t bad just very labor intensive with the tiles not always coming up intact and all the adhesive to scrape up.
And hope the subflloor is good :)

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Just finishing a 3 month upstairs kitchen/flooring remodel, was fortunate to have downstairs quarters to live and cook in, we used a heavy duty zipper door to seal off upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms from the carnage, it worked well. Kitchen and living room on other side of said zipper were complete carnage, completely unlivable. Living room became appliance storage and workshop. Don’t get any hope you can still live in the work areas. So glad it’s over.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Lots of rain cracked the clay sewer line where the house line joins the common line (installed 1924 on our property....common line joins sewer main a few houses down).

After pulling home-owners permit, spent last few days after work digging out a trench for a new 4 inch line, will abandon about 25 ft of line in-place. Have hired pro to lay in the new black iron line and to T into the common line

Am regretting all those times I sassed back to the folks about being fine with being a ditch-digger after a less than stellar report card. That clay is tough!

PS
In top image, tape on red driveway marks cracked//blocked line

Under the yellow leaf is another crack in the 6 inch (ED) common clay line (blue) and running parallel to it is the gas line (red).

1683929063649.png
1683929171513.png

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Lots of rain cracked the clay sewer line where the house line joins the common line (installed 1924 on our property....common line joins sewer main a few houses down).

After pulling home-owners permit, spent last few days after work digging out a trench for a new 4 inch line, will abandon about 25 ft of line in-place. Have hired pro to lay in the new black iron line and to T into the common line

Am regretting all those times I sassed back to the folks about being fine with being a ditch-digger after a less than stellar report card. That clay is tough!

PS
In top image, tape on red driveway marks cracked//blocked line

Under the yellow leaf is another crack in the 6 inch (ED) common clay line (blue) and running parallel to it is the gas line (red).

View attachment 154094
View attachment 154095
Did you put the yellow leaf there as an indicator? Or just happen naturally?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Doofenstein has a driveway in SF? Someone has more money than he lets on
“Had” money, until this home improvement project started about 22 years ago :)

his ungrateful nephews will not thank him for the multi million dollar gem he leaves them one day

oh wait that second part might be me never mind. Little punks

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yes. Obviously I will keep the tile in the bathrooms but this uneven flagstone really holds the ketchup. Ketchup just gets a grip. Im destroying mops grinding it off. I get more ketchup on the floor that water.
Every time I think I whine too much about my imaginary 1st world issues, along comes Mod-loving pico and his ketchup-caked tile to give me some perspective on how hard some people truly have it :)

mundus said:
And hope the subflloor is good :)
See, I know exactly what subfloor is, and i even worked with it briefly in my early 20s, but just seeing the word in text makes me want to call my handy man for sage words of calm reassurance that everything’s gonna be alright

Last edited: