Home improvement - where to start?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lots of rain cracked the clay sewer line where the house line joins the common line (installed 1924 on our property....common line joins sewer main a few houses down).

After pulling home-owners permit, spent last few days after work digging out a trench for a new 4 inch line, will abandon about 25 ft of line in-place. Have hired pro to lay in the new black iron line and to T into the common line

Am regretting all those times I sassed back to the folks about being fine with being a ditch-digger after a less than stellar report card. That clay is tough!

PS
In top image, tape on red driveway marks cracked//blocked line

Under the yellow leaf is another crack in the 6 inch (ED) common clay line (blue) and running parallel to it is the gas line (red).

View attachment 154094
View attachment 154095
My back is sore just looking at fotos of that trench.

Ow!

:shameonyou::socrazy::roflmao:

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Did you put the yellow leaf there as an indicator? Or just happen naturally?
I put it there to show the plumber where the crack is (and covered it back up with clay because i don't need the neighbors to smell sewage for a week or so). That area is more dug out now for this coming Wednesday repair (inspection on Thursday). By the way, took me all of 15 minutes to to get homeowner's permit from the City and $148.90. Two different plumbers quoted me $300 and $400 to get the permit.

Doofenstein has a driveway in SF? Someone has more money than he lets on
In older parts of SF, single family homes are not pressed up against the street (in before new requirements came into effect)

Also, different zoning rules for RH1 vs RH2 have different requirements too. Besides, don't most homes out on the ocean side of the City have driveways?

Me doing some of the hard larbor for the plumbing repair should mean I am not loaded. Wouldn't a rich person farm that stuff out so they could spend their time (more valuable than money?) sippy mai tais in Tahiti?

But I concede that me and my spouse owning a home in SF means we have more than a few pennies to rub together......and a few more means I might be able to buy a small plain coffee from Peets.

“Had” money, until this home improvement project started about 22 years ago :)

his ungrateful nephews will not thank him for the multi million dollar gem he leaves them one day

oh wait that second part might be me never mind. Little punks
A guy down the street from us, per Joe the ex- SFPD across the street from me, had a collapsed sewer line from his yard to the main (under sidewalk to middle of street) and that ran him $16K. His situation is different from mine (thank-Cthulhu) and needed City work too. He was responsible for all the stuff on his property, which ends where the sidewalk meets the actual street...the landform relief there is way more drastic than mine too.

As for the "multi-million dollar gem" going to the nephews, I think I would be more likely to deed it all over to the one niece who writes me back than any of the nephews....certainly not the one now flying for United or the one who was gifted (!) a $60K downpayment from my brother-in-law's "rich" grandmother (in true weird grandmother fashion, she gave a pittance to her daughter, a little more to the grandchild (my brother-in-law) and $60K to the great grandson (oldest nephew) and $65K to the great granddaughter (oldest niece). And the other ones, well, yeah, good money after bad is not a way to build a dynastic legacy .:p

But even there, ha, that niece better put that college degree to good use first because who knows how many garage sale surfboards she'll have to pay to get rid of upon my untimely demise.

My back is sore just looking at fotos of that trench.

Ow!

:shameonyou::socrazy::roflmao:
Had to rent a concrete saw this weekend to allow the plumber better access to the pipes (to allow for the tie-in to the new line). Only took 1.5 hours to cut about 8 ft worth of 4 inch concrete. Even with hearing protection, my ears are still not in love with me.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We are paying top dollar for a full Re siding from a large regional company that gives a true lifetime warranty on parts and labor and they have all the stellar reviews one would expect from a high price outfit. Permits for work and dumpster were easy and we got them ourselves. The sales “consultant” has gotten a little less impressive now that the contract is signed but I think we are still on track

she texted my wife “oh, I didn’t budget for the chimneys, you never mentioned them so we will leave them as is” and my wife politely but firmly said “YOU TOOK ALL THE PHOTOS and the chimneys are in half of them- did you think we were just going to Re side the entire house in blue board and batten with white trim and leave the little chimneys with their original white 30+ year old plain white vinyl slats? It’s PART OF THE SIDE OF. THE HOUSE”. She quickly acknowledged that yes; that does make sense and don’t worry I will order the additional material” because she knew full well she just plain screwed up.

there are a couple of other little air head moves from the consultant but sounds like they have all been settled. However she doesn’t have a start date for us yet. When we signed, she was all gung ho “as soon as you have the building and dumpster permit we will have a crew of 10 guys there and within 4 days you will have an entirely new exterior.

that was a few weeks ago now lol

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Nothing gets the neighborhood dads fired up like a dumpster delivery. I know I'd strap on New Balances and walk over to see what you got cookin.

View attachment 154277
Dumpsters are more like building inspector magnets than dad magnets. In some areas you can have them dropped on sat, load up your dirty work, and then have them picked up on sunday. No pesky inspectors around on weekends.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The siding permit was easy. $700 and an address. No scope of work or certified renderings etc

Reactions: Mr Doof

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
You gettin rid of the arch doorway? I'm not a fan of the arch.
Yessir!

That was one of the first things on the list to get rid of / correct. I hate it too!

Then we ran into that big header that is supporting a king post to the ridge beam.

Minor set back. Already got that solved.

But the photos are just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a whole redo and I wasn't really prepared for that or ready for that but my people are pushing me to do it and I'm all onboard with it now. It really needs it.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Yessir!

That was one of the first things on the list to get rid of / correct. I hate it too!

Then we ran into that big header that is supporting a king post to the ridge beam.

Minor set back. Already got that solved.

But the photos are just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a whole redo and I wasn't really prepared for that or ready for that but my people are pushing me to do it and I'm all onboard with it now. It really needs it.
Smaller projects usually snowball into a full redo anyway. So at least you just jumped right into the deep end.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The weekend was "fun" with the cement saw and more digging to the point where the iron pipe meets the clay and site of another crack (red circle). Good think the plan from the beginning was to abandon-in-place the old and replace entirety with iron. The other pipe is the abandoned in place water line (red line)....replaced about 20 yrs ago.

1684350700594.png

At the sidewalk, yesterday after work, found the main break. Had to prop it up a little to make it marginally more useful for next 12 hrs. Actual plumbers laying new pipe today. Should be done by 2 PM, then inspection tomorrow before I back fill it. Spray-painted the gas line to make certain everyone is aware of things.

1684350950165.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
@Mr Doof where did you put all the dirt that has to go back in? Pics??

I had to remove some dirt that accumulated from multiple failed lawns on my side yard. lowered the soil by 2” and was blown away how much dirt that is when shoveled into a pile.

moving dirt is hard work.

Reactions: mundus

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
@Mr Doof where did you put all the dirt that has to go back in? Pics??

I had to remove some dirt that accumulated from multiple failed lawns on my side yard. lowered the soil by 2” and was blown away how much dirt that is when shoveled into a pile.

moving dirt is hard work.
Digging by hand is the hard part. Moving it enough and you learn how to use leverage both in loading and moving the wheel barrow. It’s like duckdiving. Minimum effort, maximum progress.

Take a long handled square shovel. Extend your arm with the bottom of the shovel on the ground. Lift the shovel to waist level with your arm fully extended. Now do it with the shovel full of dirt.

We use 4” PVC for drainage from the houses to the septic tanks. Surround it with a big cushion of sand and gravel. Probably not allowed there? I fkn hate cast iron pipe.

Reactions: mundus and sdsrfr

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Digging by hand is the hard part. Moving it enough and you learn how to use leverage both in loading and moving the wheel barrow. It’s like duckdiving. Minimum effort, maximum progress.

Take a long handled square shovel. Extend your arm with the bottom of the shovel on the ground. Lift the shovel to waist level with your arm fully extended. Now do it with the shovel full of dirt.

We use 4” PVC for drainage from the houses to the septic tanks. Surround it with a big cushion of sand and gravel. Probably not allowed there? I fkn hate cast iron pipe.
You have not lived until you have had to wheelbarrow concrete on a uphill narrow path or on planks with air underneath

• Haha
Reactions: wedge2 and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

1 Mainly used a sharp shooter shovel, and in the bigger areas, used a long handled spaded shovel.

2 Moved dirt with wheel barrow, not too far away (don't have photo of the pile). Also filled the rolling compost bin (as provided by the garage company for all SFH in the CIty) with the wet gunk at the bottom of the hole.

3 SF requires cast iron. Inspection tomorrow, so no cheating allowed.

4 Backfilling will require a fair bit of stomping about to compact it.