Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That board deserves to be surfed!
2 sessions, both amazing, on the trip when i picked it up

stomach high Hanalei, and DOH Hanalei. Got lots of waves, now she's a hanger

I am NOT paddling that out only to have it dinged by some donkey who started surfing during covid

Reactions: kelpcutter

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I live on a sandbar, we don't quake, we flood

Besides, the couch below it should cushion any fall

Although, now that i think about it, I really should have a redundancy restraint in place. that board is, well, most of you know exactly what it is. Just do NOT tell SL that it's a wall hanger. even his WIFE has sworn herself to secrecy about it

Sandbars liquify in quakes, and foundations crack. Friends on Treasure Island had some interesting photos of their place after the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

I see small quakes happen in your neck of the woods......

Link

1669746843871.png
1669746883796.png

PS

All things come to end, surf the board before your ability to use it ends. Besides, it can always be a wall hanger with dings, buckles, sinkers....stories are all we leave behind.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i'll keep you posted on the liquefying sand

In the meantime, I had that board made for me when i was 235 pounds. it's not really a great shape for my body size anymore, and its aesthetic and mental health benefits are best realized on the wall of my living room. I have a ton of boards that work just fine for the act of surfing

I derive immense joy from looking at that particular board any time I am in my living room. it's beautiful.

Reactions: Mr Doof

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
As long as you never sell you should be fine.
This was not the type of project where you don't pull permits. I've done more than a few of those.... This was more akin to building a house. No way we could have done it without going thru the permit/inspection process.

Attachments

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
He shaped my first custom when I was in high school. Wish I had that one for a wall hanger. Would go well with my traditional red oak floors.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I need to decrease a door width by 6 inches. The door is part of a non-load bearing wall.

I also removed a pocket door - of course the part of the wall the door slid into had no framing.

I'm also increasing the size of a shower.

Where can i find a draftsman to draw that out so i can apply for the permits?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I need to decrease a door width by 6 inches. The door is part of a non-load bearing wall.

I also removed a pocket door - of course the part of the wall the door slid into had no framing.

I'm also increasing the size of a shower.

Where can i find a draftsman to draw that out so i can apply for the permits?
Non-load bearing, that's a job that does not need a permit. Just frame in a pre-hung door in the width you need, drywall in the gaps, mud, paint and you're done. Two weekend job max or call a handyman to knock it out in 3 days.

Reactions: kelpcutter

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You may very well be a content person, but living as you describe above sounds lonely and miserable. DIY is cool if you’re into that sort of thing, and I don’t trust every contractor either, but I generally give them a chance if the first meeting doesn’t set off any alarm bells. And being a cheapskate, well, that sounds miserable but probably accurate, given your persona on the forum.

do you use your phone calculator to figure out 15% of the pre tax Chili’s tab when you’re feeling magnanimous?

:):poke::cheers:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You may very well be a content person, but living as you describe above sounds lonely and miserable. DIY is cool if you’re into that sort of thing, and I don’t trust every contractor either, but I generally give them a chance if the first meeting doesn’t set off any alarm bells. And being a cheapskate, well, that sounds miserable but probably accurate, given your persona on the forum.

do you use your phone calculator to figure out 15% of the pre tax Chili’s tab when you’re feeling magnanimous?

:):poke::cheers:
1670517272621.jpeg

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Need to buy some 1/2” plywood sheets. needs to stay flat, minimal warping. Will be covered in carpet so doesnt need smooth finish.

im guessing cheapest stuff from Home Depot is not the answer.

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Need to buy some 1/2” plywood sheets. needs to stay flat, minimal warping. Will be covered in carpet so doesnt need smooth finish.

im guessing cheapest stuff from Home Depot is not the answer.
Why not get cheapest? I'm guessing it's your new subfloor and will be screwed to the joists anyway

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Why not get cheapest? I'm guessing it's your new subfloor and will be screwed to the joists anyway
Not getting screwed or glued to anything thus why it needs to stay relatively flat when cut.

some of it going into my truck. the scrap cut will become a garage work table on saw horses.

May be using 3/4”, not sure if that makes it better at staying flat. .

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Not getting screwed or glued to anything thus why it needs to stay relatively flat when cut.

some of it going into my truck. the scrap cut will become a garage work table on saw horses.

Why carpet???

Double layer of 1/4”, turning the top layer 90deg so the long seams aren’t parallel?

Reactions: sdsrfr

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe hardwood plywood will warp less than cheaper softwood plywood. HW is probably double or triple the price, but it sounds like you only need a sheet or two. Temp and moisture changes will cause warpage, so lessen that if you can. There is something called marine grade plywood which sounds cool as fugg and may be an option if this will be exposed to the weather. Home Depot or Lowes should have some hardwood options. Just go pick out a flat sheet. Sometimes its referred to as cabinet grade plywood (I think). You'll see the difference immediately between cabinet grade and softwood that is used in home construction. The hardwood/cabinet grade stuff is usually further away from the registers as its sold in much lower volumes from the cheaper stuff.

Only 50% confident my info is correct.

PM Kento. I think he sells lumber. Or someone on this forum does.