Home improvement - where to start?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Never skip the permit. If the contractor knows you cut corners, he will too
My landlords did this. Contractors cut every corner possible.

Long story short no permits, and the city found out but did nothing.

seemingly this is similar to pressing charges on a hit and run. Without a citizen complaint there was no city inspector despite them knowing well what was going on.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr. Doof to the white courtesy phone please.. stat. :)
Why bring me into this? Why do you hate my peace of mind so much? :cry:

:p

PS
Random Guy----> If you can find my thread about reporting our contractor to the state licensing board, read through it and don't do what I did, which is think was mainly thinking if I was open and honest and paid on time, I'd be treated properly.

PPS
It got to the point where we reported ourselves to the SF City building inspectors to force them into taking out a 2nd permit to cover additional work not covered by the original work permit.

PPS
By the way, most window replacement only contractors are the worst, fly by night crooks .
Ever see the show "White Gold"? British comedy about vinyl window installers.

PPPS
Never skip the permit. If the contractor knows you cut corners, he will too
Don't know about your neighborhood, but people in mine will rat you out if you don't get permits. So much is searchable online now-a-days, including permits.

Last edited:

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
My landlords did this. Contractors cut every corner possible.

Long story short no permits, and the city found out but did nothing.

seemingly this is similar to pressing charges on a hit and run. Without a citizen complaint there was no city inspector despite them knowing well what was going on.
The City will screw you over in the end. There is a violation recorded. Guess what happens when you try to either sell, or get a permit later? Expose everything you did so the inspector can see it (yes that means strip to studs again) and fix everything.

All to save a thousand bucks for the permit on $100,000 of work? 1%?!?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yah. i figured it’s my nuclear option on exit if I get messed with.

I’m paying well below market and have no need to poke the bear. fuckme, fuckyou, and so forth.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
you are going to need some hand holding.

once you and your future architect/designer come up with a plan you like and can afford, follow their advice when it comes to a builder that can execute it.

they'll have guys they know and trust to pull off the vision. check out everybody's references.

don't think you are going to save a few bucks by supplying materials like windows. your paying the builder to deal with the headaches of scheduling and work flow. no sense adding another dimension to the puzzle, it often only makes things take longer.

lets face it, if you were a pro at this you wouldnt be asking a surf forum for advice.
My buddy did exactly this.

Hired a design/build firm to build an addition. Told the firm just build the addition and he was going to do the finish work like bathrooms-etc. Then hired some cash union guys to build his kitchen while the firm was remodeling.

Firm told him they had to move a pipe in the kitchen. He rents a jackhammer and just starts going at his foundation to move it himself. Busts the pipe and full stop to his project.

As you can guess the firm was pissed at all of this nonsense.

They put him at the lowest priority and the work took well over 1 year when it was supposed to be 1 month. If there was other workers there or he was doing a project they wouldnt come and do the work.

So yea. Dont do that.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is it true you can replace jsut the cabinet fronts and counters to save a pretty penny?

curious what erBB says about smaller focused replacements as opposed to the gut and start fresh.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Is it true you can replace jsut the cabinet fronts and counters to save a pretty penny?

curious what erBB says about smaller focused replacements as opposed to the gut and start fresh.
Our cabinets were original in the house, from 1979. Everything needed gutting to the studs. We did all the demo ourselves.

We didn't get permit outside the electrical panel, which was done before. Our contractor was highly referred from friends of ours; was kind of a one man show; he didn't care if we got a permit or not and we trust our neighbors not to tattle, either way. Worked out well.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Our cabinets were original in the house, from 1979. Everything needed gutting to the studs. We did all the demo ourselves.

We didn't get permit outside the electrical panel, which was done before. Our contractor was highly referred from friends of ours; was kind of a one man show; he didn't care if we got a permit or not and we trust our neighbors not to tattle, either way. Worked out well.
question on permits. is it the home owner or contract that gets it?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

yes. someone in my department remodel her place and said she bought Ikea boxes and work with someone that did different fronts. guess Ikea boxes aren't as expensive?

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020

Yes, decorative specialties decor.com. you can just buy new doors. If you get into replacing face frames, it gets more tricky

Reactions: sdsrfr

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I along with my employee installed 10 retrofit vinyl windows and 1 slider at my house. Seemed to go pretty smooth.

1BA2CF7C-5EE9-4784-91B7-D12E3E91FA3B.jpeg

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
question on permits. is it the home owner or contract that gets it?
Either. Jurisdictions vary. And it depends on the counter staff. I've seen counter staff turn away a homeowner, because hed didn't want to deal with an amateur. That was in Santa Barbara City. Fook you, Timo

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Mass window install companies installing vinyl windows remove the existing sashes, and glue/ caulk in insert frames.

2 problems with that.
1) They aren't waterproofed properly, and rely on a glob of silicone over the stucco to keep the window dry.
The window company I posted didn't install vinyl windows.

They installed anodized aluminum windows.

2) the insert window is smaller than the existing window, in order for it to fit inside the old frame. In bedrooms, there are egress minimum sizes, in case you need to get out in a fire. The new windows almost always don't meet egress anymore.

No good contractor would do that.
"The new windows almost always don't meet egress anymore."

So what is the solution for people installing new windows if all the new windows out there don't meet egress?

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I along with my employee installed 10 retrofit vinyl windows and 1 slider at my house. Seemed to go pretty smooth.

View attachment 98147
Do you have

• Minimum width of opening: 20 in.
  • Minimum height of opening: 24 in.
  • Minimum net clear opening: 5.7 sq. ft. (5.0 sq. ft. for ground floor).
  • Maximum sill height above floor: 44 in
Otherwise, oopsie. You aren't selling for a while are you?

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Do you have

• Minimum width of opening: 20 in.
  • Minimum height of opening: 24 in.
  • Minimum net clear opening: 5.7 sq. ft. (5.0 sq. ft. for ground floor).
  • Maximum sill height above floor: 44 in
Otherwise, oopsie. You aren't selling for a while are you?

My understanding is if his house was built prior to 1997 he's exempt.

Also, are you certain that's a bedroom window?