Home improvement - where to start?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Do you have

• Minimum width of opening: 20 in.
  • Minimum height of opening: 24 in.
  • Minimum net clear opening: 5.7 sq. ft. (5.0 sq. ft. for ground floor).
  • Maximum sill height above floor: 44 in
Otherwise, oopsie. You aren't selling for a while are you?
I’d have to take measurements, again, but yea I should be able to clear those, however I will take a look.
no not selling for a while.
also, a lot of people have the retrofits installed by window install companies and a lot of them as you know do not get permits, (must be the shitty ones you refer to) and some do. I’ve been doing all of my renovations work and some with contractor friends oversight too. Saved about $6k on the window install. Short of the permit, that’s a hard thing to pass up to watch some ex convict installers do it for you. I took the chance what can I say?

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
My understanding is if his house was built prior to 1997 he's exempt.

Also, are you certain that's a bedroom window?
If he changed 9 windows, I'd guess he got bedrooms. House built prior to 97? Or window installed prior to 97. I'm pretty sure you can't install a window today that doesn't meet egress, especially if the old window did

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Source for that understanding?
Try google.

I don't have a specific source other than memory, but you would have plenty of older homes needing serious work / alteration of structure to conform to code simply to replace an old window.

EDIT: I did some searching, every window install company out there wants to get you up to egre$$ code. Then there was this:

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If he changed 9 windows, I'd guess he got bedrooms. House built prior to 97? Or window installed prior to 97. I'm pretty sure you can't install a window today that doesn't meet egress, especially if the old window did
When I spoke to the county they said windows can be funny. Depending on the ones coming out and the ones going in, maybe you don’t need a permit and all is fine.

But, devil is in the details and it’s not as straightforward as one would think.

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Asked my dad about this as he replaced all the windows in a 1958 home a few years ago. He said if the house was built prior to the current egress requirements it has to meet the old egress requirements for the period it was built.

BUT

If you alter the structure of the house in some way (i.e. altering a bedroom wall) the new window in said wall must meet current egress code.

Shady window guys will try to aggressively pretend otherwise and tell you everything in your house has to be updated to egress code. More money for them. But not the truth.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Asked my dad about this as he replaced all the windows in a 1958 home a few years ago. He said if the house was built prior to the current egress requirements it has to meet the old egress requirements for the period it was built.

BUT

If you alter the structure of the house in some way (i.e. altering a bedroom wall) the new window in said wall must meet current egress code.

Shady window guys will try to aggressively pretend otherwise and tell you everything in your house has to be updated to egress code. More money for them. But not the truth.
Well then, you asked your dad. Ok, Dads know everything.

In the real world, in California, we have a building code. The CBC.

In the CBC there is one exemption for R-2 window replacements.

If the replacement keeps the same operation, meaning a slider stays a slider, a casement stays a casement, then the sill height can be raised to the closest window size made by the manufacturer. You still need to keep the minimum square footage.

Reactions: PJ and tenover

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Here's a theoretical question.

Bought my townhouse in 2014 and came with a Goodman AC unit. Lower end unit. No problems until last year. Has a leak somewhere. The circuit board was replaced in May and filled up with freon. Worked fine for 4 months and now its not blowing cold air. Guy filled it up again today to get me through October. He said it is $480 to find the leak and could be $2000-$3000 for a fix. A new system is $5,000. Is it worth it to try and fix this?

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Kinda like you know everything about a company (that you really don't know) 200 miles away from you that installed vinyl windows (nevermind they were actually aluminum windows) for a friend of mine?

I see.(y)

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Here's a theoretical question.

Bought my townhouse in 2014 and came with a Goodman AC unit. Lower end unit. No problems until last year. Has a leak somewhere. The circuit board was replaced in May and filled up with freon. Worked fine for 4 months and now its not blowing cold air. Guy filled it up again today to get me through October. He said it is $480 to find the leak and could be $2000-$3000 for a fix. A new system is $5,000. Is it worth it to try and fix this?
Absolutely fix it.

The new unit almost definitely won't fix the leak, unless the leak is in the unit. If the leak is in the unit, then he would find it in 5 minutes.

The lines are tubing, which means no joints in the wall. The leak is almost certainly at a brazed joint. That means at the condenser, or at the coil. Once he finds the leak, pump it dry, braze the fitting, and pump it up again.

The guy is a creep.

Reactions: PJ and tenover

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Kinda like you know everything about a company (that you really don't know) 200 miles away from you that installed vinyl windows (nevermind they were actually aluminum windows) for a friend of mine?

I see.(y)
Why are you still talking to me?

You are the client that I am just too busy for.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
In my experience, a typical kitchen remodel shouldn't require an architect. There should be compentent contractors who specialize in kitchens/bathrooms, and can get all the permitting square away.

However...and this is important...you need to find someone you are comfortable with and who comes with great (preferably from friends of yours) recommendations, whether you go with design/build, architect plus contractor etc.

It also pays to know your own home's infrastructure like the back of your hand -- what is the amperage, where are the gas lines (how do you turn them off), what about hot/cold water etc. As well as things like setbacks...anyway, good luck!

Here are a couple of kitchen tips: It's absolutely worth it to make sure you have a quality range hood that vents to the outside; running cabinets up to the ceiling is a great way to create storage space for rarely used items like cake decorations and fancy plates. Also, avoid weird faucets -- none of that spring loaded sprayer crap, will leak for sure. Huge sink is key for easy pot/pan cleanup. And you can never have too much counter space!

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia

In the real world, in California, we have a building code. The CBC.

In the CBC there is one exemption for R-2 window replacements.

If the replacement keeps the same operation, meaning a slider stays a slider, a casement stays a casement, then the sill height can be raised to the closest window size made by the manufacturer. You still need to keep the minimum square footage.
You should stick to what you know - laying tile and cruising day labor pickup areas.

I just got off the phone with the SD city building department. My question was:

"My condo was built in 1978. If I am replacing the windows am I required to meet current building code egress requirements?"

They confirmed what I said before

As long as you are are not altering the wall or sizing of the structural framing that surrounds the window you are not required to conform to current egress requirements... provided the window being replaced and the window replacing it conforms to the original egress requirements at the time the home was built. (Which of course makes logical sense.)

Last edited:

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
You should stick to what you know - laying tile and cruising day labor pickup areas.

I just got off the phone with the SD city building department. My question was:

"My condo was built in 1978. If I am replacing the windows am I required to meet current building code egress requirements?"

They confirmed what I said before

As long as you are are not altering the wall or sizing of the structural framing that surrounds the window you are not required to conform to current egress requirements... provided the window being replaced and the window replacing it conforms to the original egress requirements at the time the home was built. (Which of course makes logical sense.)
Why are you still talking to me?

It won't meet egress, because the new window is....

SMALLER.

You think the cheap assed developer who built your house put bigger windows than minimum necessary?

Why don't u stick to what u know?

Draining bedpans