Home improvement - where to start?

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Personal taste, but unless you go super high end with the sliders, I always prefer swinging doors for looks and maintenance
The look and maintenance of swinging doors is nice but in a small confined area, you need to account for the loss of wall space where the swinging door opens whether in or out. My ex-wife insisted on the French Door look for our 1000sqft Shoebox beach house and I’m gonna switch it out to a slider to increase the feel of the space.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Will zoning let you live into the driveway? Side yard setback. Where did the Gagage go?

As for the kitchen.
1) looose the ceiling fan
2) install recessed ceiling lights. Better lighting, and that raised the ceiling a foot.
3) looose the right wall, and replace with a beam.
4) new cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.

That's a start, until you find out about setbacks.
thanks for the tips!

You’d think that finding the setback requirements would be easy enough, but google isnt doing it for me

yeah, no garage. Really weird for Long Island single family homes, but when I bought it, I celse rated that I’d never have to clean out my garage again, and, so far, that’s been true!

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The look and maintenance of swinging doors is nice but in a small confined area, you need to account for the loss of wall space where the swinging door opens whether in or out. My ex-wife insisted on the French Door look for our 1000sqft Shoebox beach house and I’m gonna switch it out to a slider to increase the feel of the space.
Yep, and also I like the idea of the open sliding door
although winter and most of summer, it’d be closed
my wife spends time in the kitchen
i spend time outside
hoping to make it more connected

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Crappy window install at my apartment building pretty much all of #1 and it’s not pretty to look at either.

my neighbor said it was quite a scene to watch them go in. Lots of caulk and very little confidence.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
My advice then, is if you are installing the wood sliders that everybody likes, then paint all the parts, on all sides before you install it. Then secondly, choose ther best paint only. With the new VOC rules, a lot of paints don't cure hard. The door will stick and be hard to operate.

Dunn Edwards Aristoshield doesn't have that sticking problem. All their other paints do.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
thanks for the tips!

You’d think that finding the setback requirements would be easy enough, but google isnt doing it for me

yeah, no garage. Really weird for Long Island single family homes, but when I bought it, I celse rated that I’d never have to clean out my garage again, and, so far, that’s been true!
I don't know about New York, but in California, every neighborhood has different setbacks. It would be a phone call to your local building department.

Reactions: Mr Doof

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
yeah, living in a construction zone while working from home might be challenging, but a couple of months of apologizing on 10 zoom calls a day will build character
We just completely redid our kitchen, along with floors through the house, and some windows and such. Upgraded the electrical panel.

We had the propane stove set up in the front yard with wash and rinse bins for dishes; was a challenge for a few weeks. Moving from bedroom to bedroom to get out of the way of the flooring. Just finished and it's a big relief.

We didn't change footprint though, so besides the permit for the electrical panel replacement, we didn't get permits.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This is what I’m working with.
Very small space
some room to push out but not a ton
would love to turn the back part of the driveway into a side / back patio
this kitchen is a little over 20 years old
so, erbb, go ahead and redesign my kitchen!

View attachment 98124View attachment 98125
If you can knock out that wall and replace with an island/peninsula, that will go a long way, obvi.

Shelling out the extra cash for a counter depth fridge can make a big difference in a tight kitchen. Also, get a french door fridge while you're at it, they're the most versatile in terms of items you can put inside them, plus you have all the fresh items at waist-to-eye level.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Windows can be a nightmare, live across from the beach and my windows only leaked on a very specific wind angle, took years to get them right.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
We just got done gutting our kitchen to the studs, tore down a wall and replaced everything. New windows, installed a french door, installed hardwood in kitchen, new cabinets, appliances, etc... Took 6 weeks for everything. Our house is old(1927) and small, so we had to open it up and make it work. You can't appreciate the improvements unless you had seen the old kitchen but we love it now. Since both our kids are off at college now, we decided to go with a small 18" Bosch dishwasher and a small, counter-depth GE fridge.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We just got done gutting our kitchen to the studs, tore down a wall and replaced everything. New windows, installed a french door, installed hardwood in kitchen, new cabinets, appliances, etc... Took 6 weeks for everything. Our house is old(1927) and small, so we had to open it up and make it work. You can't appreciate the improvements unless you had seen the old kitchen but we love it now.

Super nice! We did white quartz, too.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
do u know cities now use google earth to if u have built any un-permitted stuff?
i didnt...

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
We just got done gutting our kitchen to the studs, tore down a wall and replaced everything. New windows, installed a french door, installed hardwood in kitchen, new cabinets, appliances, etc... Took 6 weeks for everything. Our house is old(1927) and small, so we had to open it up and make it work. You can't appreciate the improvements unless you had seen the old kitchen but we love it now. Since both our kids are off at college now, we decided to go with a small 18" Bosch dishwasher and a small, counter-depth GE fridge. Upgraded electrical panel and installed an RO water filter system as well, to the sink and fridge.

I like everything about that

Reactions: tenover