Holy crap the tourists are pouring into town!

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
my beach access has a bike parking area that is under constant assault from golf cart owners, for whom this space was never intended. gets worse every year, people used to buy a bike when they moved to my island, now they all have to have a golf cart. it comes to a head on holiday weekends, when the bike rack is surrounded by golf carts and nobody can get their bike out easily.

yesterday afternoon, the area was packed and the bike rack was completely sealed off by two massive golf carts. so it warmed my black heart to see the word "thanks!" written across the plexiglass windshield of each one, in massive white letters. from the look and feel of the lettering, it was as if someone had a fresh bar of Mrs. Palmer's Warm Water Wax handy and used the angled edge for the bold white sticky lettering. :rolleyes:

whoever did that, i'd buy them a beer :cheers:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'm in Bakersfield and it's been 105. Fireworks are for sale everywhere, and I saw 3 barely teen kids selling them on their lawn. I booked a hotel on the hotels.com app and it's practically a crack and whore zone but it's got a/c blasting. If I lived here I'd most definitely be in your beach town right now, wherever that is. Tip - review anything east of hwy 99 in Bako before booking

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I'm in Bakersfield and it's been 105. Fireworks are for sale everywhere, and I saw 3 barely teen kids selling them on their lawn. I booked a hotel on the hotels.com app and it's practically a crack and whore zone but it's got a/c blasting. If I lived here I'd most definitely be in your beach town right now, wherever that is. Tip - review anything east of hwy 99 in Bako before booking
You’ve got the enough material here for a good shitkicker song.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Pro tip: Stay at the Motel 6 in Buttonwillow.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And you’re there . . . . Why? :roflmao:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
And you’re there . . . . Why? :roflmao:
Rest. Blackrock Station to Kern River with a full pack, mostly over scorched earth in solid 90s temps. Yesterday I started getting tinnitus, headache, runs, visuals about 2/3 down (turning around would have been stupid). Spent some time in the river, fished a little but decided going back up in that heat wasn't an option. This AM was wake at 4:30 to pack, hydrate/fuel up and scramble to some tree cover before the sun and heat :drowning:. Made it to the car in about 5hrs and felt much better today but I'm torched.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Rest. Blackrock Station to Kern River with a full pack, mostly over scorched earth in solid 90s temps. Yesterday I started getting tinnitus, headache, runs, visuals about 2/3 down (turning around would have been stupid). Spent some time in the river, fished a little but decided going back up in that heat wasn't an option. This AM was wake at 4:30 to pack, hydrate/fuel up and scramble to some tree cover before the sun and heat :drowning:. Made it to the car in about 5hrs and felt much better today but I'm torched.

How is the Upper Kern looking?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
How is the Upper Kern looking?
Really low flows for July, perfect for where I wanted to go and do (Kern Flat and above) but the Castle Fire really scorched a lot of the pristine area. Such a bummer. If you’re talking thr 20 mile section above the lake it was a holiday weekend zoo driving in and out.

Reactions: keenfish