History / Memories of the erBB

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Was there a er-mag dial-up BB in the 80's? I'm trying to remember.

Some of you youngsters maybe don't know this, but your computer modem needed to phone a bulletin board in order to get "on line".
As far as I know there was only the alt.surfing newsgroup that started in 1990. Of course, that was the NNTP protocol, and not HTTP. One of the first functional web browsers (leveraging HTTP) was Mosaic, released in 1993. Believe the first instantiation of https://www.surfermag.com was in 1996, which included the "Monster Bulletin Board," and which the erBB was partially named after (distinction of SURFer and SURFing mags).

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Was there a er-mag dial-up BB in the 80's? I'm trying to remember.

Some of you youngsters maybe don't know this, but your computer modem needed to phone a bulletin board in order to get "on line".
I wouldn't know. Would be pretty expensive to have multiple modem banks and lines, and no real business model at the time. Most would probably be local calls since different area codes would incur long distance fees.

Reactions: LipService

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I remember drunkenly racking up the phone bill when surfline was a by the minute phone service, and yes didn't everybody start out with dial up internet, but in the very late 90's early 2ks?
The was a use-net early message board when I first saw it I thought but it didn't appeal time till they got some colors and tables, fugging pop-ups we're crazy for a while too, end of session crazy daily till they caught up.

Reactions: diro and gbg

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
As far as I know there was only the alt.surfing newsgroup that started in 1990. Of course, that was the NNTP protocol, and not HTTP. One of the first functional web browsers (leveraging HTTP) was Mosaic, released in 1993. Believe the first instantiation of https://www.surfermag.com was in 1996, which included the "Monster Bulletin Board," and which the erBB was partially named after (distinction of SURFer and SURFing mags).
There was also an aol surfing group. I can’t remember what it was called but it had a chat room feature that was pretty cutting edge in 1995.

I think we actually flipped the switch on Surfermag.com in 95. I was the only person in the office with a dedicated dial up modem.
ian Wynne and Sean Strauss did the early coding for Surfermag dot com under contract. They called their two man shop Vandelay Industries. We worked together on it for a few months and they taught me to code html and they built the first incarnation of the erbb you can see on the wayback machine.

i collaborated a lot with Sean Collins too. He started up Surfline.com around the same time IIRC and was just wicked smart. The first time he showed me his HB cam prototype I was just floored.

I ran the website til i couldn’t handle working for Petersen publishing anymore - they were douchebags of a high order - and handed the reigns to bassy. Kept posting on the erBB tho!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
There was also an aol surfing group. I can’t remember what it was called but it had a chat room feature that was pretty cutting edge in 1995.

I think we actually flipped the switch on Surfermag.com in 95. I was the only person in the office with a dedicated dial up modem.
ian Wynne and Sean Strauss did the early coding for Surfermag dot com under contract. They called their two man shop Vandelay Industries. We worked together on it for a few months and they taught me to code html and they built the first incarnation of the erbb you can see on the wayback machine.

i collaborated a lot with Sean Collins too. He started up Surfline.com around the same time IIRC and was just wicked smart. The first time he showed me his HB cam prototype I was just floored.

I ran the website til i couldn’t handle working for Petersen publishing anymore - they were douchebags of a high order - and handed the reigns to bassy. Kept posting on the erBB tho!
Well, there it is for all to see.

I reckon you and Sean Collins ruined surfing the way we used to know it all by yourselves. I hope you are both happy with yourselves. ;)
RIP to Mr. Collins. No disrespect intended. Just giving a little ribbing.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah and enough with all the great surfing/oceanic books too pal, way to bring even more hordes to our lineups :roflmao: :jamon: :poke:

Reactions: keenfish

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Well, there it is for all to see.

I reckon you and Sean Collins ruined surfing the way we used to know it all by yourselves. I hope you are both happy with yourselves. ;)
RIP to Mr. Collins. No disrespect intended. Just giving a little ribbing.
To me the writing was on the wall when I went to the US Open of surfing and videoed Kellys legendary burn of Shane Beschen where Kelly went on to win the contest and posted vid that night — along with an article — on Surfermag dot com. I mean after that, what was gonna be the point of having the mag reveal the news three months later?

Went with Sean and Gillovich and covered the Reef contest at todos too with a cell dialup modem. That was just radical back then. Sean was the one really pushing the tech. For better or worse - he literally could not help himself. I was just along for the ride.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I remember drunkenly racking up the phone bill when surfline was a by the minute phone service, and yes didn't everybody start out with dial up internet, but in the very late 90's early 2ks?
The was a use-net early message board when I first saw it I thought but it didn't appeal time till they got some colors and tables, fugging pop-ups we're crazy for a while too, end of session crazy daily till they caught up.
I met these 2 guys from Florida as soon as I moved to SD in 1992. They told me there was a secret toll free number for surfline and I used it for 2 years before it "went away". I was so scared for the first bill but zero. So STOCKED.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I think there was one called 1-900-HOTSURF. Went home for the holidays and eventually my mom was like WTF is 1800 HotSurf?! That was pretty much before most grown ups knew about 900 #s just the very concept of what I had done pissed her off pretty good. Fugging kids these days!

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Some erBB jargon. Sorry that I can't identify the originators.

stocked
kuk
moran
ubb (ultimate bro brah)
show us your t!ts
pics or it didn't happen
nightly nug
breath-holding contest
...is the name of my new band
moobs

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hey Dixie .....
In the beginning, wasn't there a chat format like ICQ on the erBB?
I don't know why it keeps bugging me to think that there was .... and the trash-talking that went on .... :roflmao: