History / Memories of the erBB

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house

i think the above image is a norman mingo rendition, which is what most art students and laymen seem to prefer... the earlier kelly freas pieces are my favorites though, i feel they expose a more complex a.e.n. inner psychology....

for black and white versions, wallace wood could not be topped. he could usually be counted on to imbue alfred with a touch of sinister retard menace, similar to some of the writing that shows up regularly in our politics forum...

your thoughts?

:beer:

Reactions: SlicedFeet

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Damn, I had forgotten about Technoviking. That was an epic moment in history which may never be matched again in our lifetime.

Reactions: jkb

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah Technoviking was literally right when i was first exploring and trying to "figure out" what this place was. Great intro to the erBB lol

Reactions: jkb

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I met Knice once.

Also met James-bummer-jim when he was in town a long time ago.

Q_Surf is the man. I was on a solo roadtrip up north about 10 years ago and met up with him and Lina. Camped out, scored some fun waves, they fed me. He's helped me out with some awesome snowboard equipment advice since.

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
We're not quite at the death knell just yet, but it is always nice to reflect back on the stories, the people, and the events that made/make this place so special. Let's take a walk down memory lane, and continue to make new memories.

Before it was the Surfer.com Forum there was the Surfermag.com Monster Bulletin Board (hence erBB). The earliest board entry I could find was in 1996.

View attachment 98827

Here's a capture of it from 1998:
needs to

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Remember when everyone freaked out cause it was the "eve of the erBB"?

How'd that work out? ..

:roflmao::shrug::roflmao:
That'd be me. Took it as an opportunity to relive the good and bad times of this forum. Glad I was wrong.

In the meantime, RIP these mags/sites and their respective social platforms: surfingthemag.com, transworldsurf.com, swell.com, bluetorch.com, hardcloud.com,...

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
Was there a er-mag dial-up BB in the 80's? I'm trying to remember.

Some of you youngsters maybe don't know this, but your computer modem needed to phone a bulletin board in order to get "on line".

Reactions: sponge