Hawaii- Done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My cousin married into Scott family. They have done really well for themselves over the years while “making” a great, durable product. They do some of the manufacturing here, but mostly in China. The space has gotten considerably more crowded now with lots of brand including much more premium brands like OluKai. Like someone above said, retailers can know private label from your same factory and increase margin and have inventory dependability. Bummer to see them get burned, but man you really gotta get on DTC and not make your business model so dependent on retailers. Cause they will Fck you any chance they get.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
My cousin married into Scott family. They have done really well for themselves over the years while “making” a great, durable product. They do some of the manufacturing here, but mostly in China. The space has gotten considerably more crowded now with lots of brand including much more premium brands like OluKai. Like someone above said, retailers can know private label from your same factory and increase margin and have inventory dependability. Bummer to see them get burned, but man you really gotta get on DTC and not make your business model so dependent on retailers. Cause they will Fck you any chance they get.
unnamed-1.jpg

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
Anybody have updates on the guy that got hit by a tiger at Kewalos this morning? Was actually able to find the attack on the cam, the 6:51AM cam about 2:30 in

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I saw the clip. The beast just rose out of the water behind him. Scary.
Gnar. I came on here to see if you guys were talking about it. Report on Maiu News says as other surfers were helping him come in the shark came back and was "acting aggressive". Since they don't go after humans it must have just been making the same mistake over and over. Poor animal.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Just watched it. Damn. That is terrifying. Heard he lost the leg maybe? :(
The guy is named Mike. He went to middle school with my BIL. Regular dawn patrol, surfs a kneeboard. Shark took everything below the knee and between his foot. Amputation is pretty much a sure thing.

This is the first shark attack on the south shore I can ever remember. There’s a Hawaiian legend that no shark attacks on humans on the south shore. Afraid I might mess up telling it so I won’t. Guess that deal is over.

Jeannie said more sightings at Bowls that’s why crowd has been light even though there’s a small swell that’s surfable.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
The guy is named Mike. He went to middle school with my BIL. Regular dawn patrol, surfs a kneeboard. Shark took everything below the knee and between his foot. Amputation is pretty much a sure thing.

This is the first shark attack on the south shore I can ever remember. There’s a Hawaiian legend that no shark attacks on humans on the south shore. Afraid I might mess up telling it so I won’t. Guess that deal is over.

Jeannie said more sightings at Bowls that’s why crowd has been light even though there’s a small swell that’s surfable.
This particular area has always felt sketchy to me. Used to hit the surf spot "Flies" in the morning before work or classes at UH. This was when the old Tuna Factory at Kewalo Basin was still in operation. The returning aku boats used to dump the trash from their catches prior to entering the harbor and that was a constant attraction for South Shore sharks. A few of the older captains would tell me that the sharks knew the approximate time the boats would be returning and could be seen heading for Kewalo's in the afternoon for "lunch".

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY

does "kolohe" still surf the dawn patrols with you guys?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Reactions: rowjimmytour

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed my NS regular where Mike is a long time surfer.

Talked to Dave. He had called Queens to see if Mike is accepting calls. Nurse said oh yeah and transferred the call. Dave said it’s amazing. Mikes in great spirit like nothing happened. He had a second surgery on Thursday and Dave may visit him over the weekend.

Mikes been getting tons of calls and visits from friends and family. Also tons of food.

Reactions: oeste858

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Brah, I have not seen Dave in so long but he's is one of the coolest. Always thought he surfed like Tom Carroll.
Hope he's well. Good vibes with that guy. I also haven't surfed your guys spot in probably a decade so that's why.

Reactions: teeroi