Hawaii- Done

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Over 80% of the power generation on Oahu is from large diesel generator complexs, which average 7 days of fuel reserves. If the fuel tanker ships don't arrive in time to hook up to the supply pipes, it's lights out across the island. Major source of anticipated interruption - west coast earthquake.
The absurdity of importing shiploads of diesel fuel from across the Pacific Ocean to be burnt to generate electricity rather than utilising Hawaii's abundant free resources of wind and solar energy.

I guess the folks in Hawaii that complain about wind turbines being "ugly", prefer the current fossil fuel electricity solution.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Hot and inland doesn't apply to anywhere that's not the high desert. I have China Lake/Ridgecrest time under my belt. That place is hot and inland.
What I was getting at is that California is basically a suburban flophouse for everyone on the planet who can make it here. Suburbs were thrown up hastily for all these people who brought more people which necessitated more suburbs. I only welcome Hawai'ians here b/c they've had it worse than me in this regard. In fact, my neighbors are Hawai'ian. Everyone else can kick rocks.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Hot and inland doesn't apply to anywhere that's not the high desert. I have China Lake/Ridgecrest time under my belt. That place is hot and inland.
I dated a girl from Ridgecrest when I was in college. She hated it and moved to the coast on her 18th birthday.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I dated a girl from Ridgecrest when I was in college. She hated it and moved to the coast on her 18th birthday.
It's an interesting place.

Super smart engineers that all work for the same employer. Everyone knows everyone. Super super hot in the summer. Top secret work going on.

The plus side is it is literally 40 minutes from the start of the Sierras. You can be to mammoth in 2.5 hours. If you like dirt bikes than it's like living on the North Shore.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Blows my mind.
Like Iceland, which generates ginormous amounts of electricity from geothermal energy (aka drilling a hole in the ground and then putting a pipe in it to harness steam and spin a turbine) the Big Island could generate enough electricity for the entire state of Hawaii.

Iceland Geothermal

Instead, shiploads of diesel fossil fuel are sent from California to be burnt in generators that date from the 1970's to generate electricity?

• Angry
Reactions: Kaido and npsp

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Like Iceland, which generates ginormous amounts of electricity from geothermal energy (aka drilling a hole in the ground and then putting a pipe in it to harness steam and spin a turbine) the Big Island could generate enough electricity for the entire state of Hawaii.

Iceland Geothermal

Instead, shiploads of diesel fossil fuel are sent from California to be burnt in generators that date from the 1970's to generate electricity?
They have geothermal on the Big Island already. Their facilitiy dodged a bullet during the last Kilauea eruption I recall.

Also, moving electricity from island to island is not gonna happen.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
The absurdity of importing shiploads of diesel fuel from across the Pacific Ocean to be burnt to generate electricity rather than utilising Hawaii's abundant free resources of wind and solar energy.

I guess the folks in Hawaii that complain about wind turbines being "ugly", prefer the current fossil fuel electricity solution.
For 4 months in 09' I worked a feasability project for installing solar panels on the roof of all the large Kaiser health care facilities, starting with the Moanalua medical center. Due to the high electric rates and non stop sunshine/UV, , the payback was absurdly fast. Just stupid the islands haven't invested heavily into massive solar and wind.
And during that biz stay surfed my ass off. Got there early April to score late season Sunset, then when the souths started hitting, had endless after work and weekend sessions at various lineups on the south shore, which I had never surfed before, having stayed on the NS during late fall or early winter during my typical HI trip.
Fook those waves are fun.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For 4 months in 09' I worked a feasability project for installing solar panels on the roof of all the large Kaiser health care facilities, starting with the Moanalua medical center. Due to the high electric rates and non stop sunshine/UV, , the payback was absurdly fast. Just stupid the islands haven't invested heavily into massive solar and wind.
And during that biz stay surfed my ass off. Got there early April to score late season Sunset, then when the souths started hitting, had endless after work and weekend sessions at various lineups on the south shore, which I had never surfed before, having stayed on the NS during late fall or early winter during my typical HI trip.
Fook those waves are fun.
Did anything come of the study?

The question is always the same: who pays for the new infrastructure?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The energy needs to be stored. The constant sunshine is great but it doesn't help when nighttime rolls around. HECO is on the hook for the demands. There's currently no way to store solar generated energy on a mass scale for use at a later time.

Another part is the monopoly that HECO has. They lose money when you're not drawing from the grid during the day. However, they still need to maintain infrastructure to power the demand for the island at night. So it's a difficult problem to solve. But, HECO CEO makes millions so I doubt they're interested in figuring out the solution right now.

Also, helped a friend install an illegal solar system. It's incredibly easy and literally plug and play for the most part. Materials are like $5K for a household system. Lol. Heco doesn't want you to know that part.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Some kinda bug going around. I've been down since yesterday with a sore throat, heavy fatigue and some muscle soreness. Couple friends reported the same thing.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Did anything come of the study?

The question is always the same: who pays for the new infrastructure?
Completed and payback faster than the initial projected return on investment. At the time bulk diesel fuel feeding the island gensets was around $2.50 a gallon, which determines kw cost. Diesel has steadily risen since then to over 4.00 a gal delivered to port. No brainer.
And a big win for the med center is not just the drastically reduced electrical costs - if the island ever does go dark, solar will generate enough power to maintain critical services, vs sweating bullets that the centers emergency generators will run through it's 5 days of on-site fuel storage before power is restored.

Way to pay for an Island ramp-up of solar and wind would be through a vote approved bond, just as local roads, firehouses, public owned utilities, ocal libraries, etc are built in all the other states. To sell the bond, need to sell the return on investment to the people who would vote and bear the tax cost, with would also likely also include a bond tariff on tourist renting cars, hotels, etc.

The Moanalua roof.
1672356494389.png

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Completed and payback faster than the initial projected return on investment. At the time bulk diesel fuel feeding the island gensets was around $2.50 a gallon, which determines kw cost. Diesel has steadily risen since then to over 4.00 a gal delivered to port. No brainer.
And a big win for the med center is not just the drastically reduced electrical costs - if the island ever does go dark, solar will generate enough power to maintain critical services, vs sweating bullets that the centers emergency generators will run through it's 5 days of on-site fuel storage before power is restored.

Way to pay for an Island ramp-up of solar and wind would be through a vote approved bond, just as local roads, firehouses, public owned utilities, ocal libraries, etc are built in all the other states. To sell the bond, need to sell the return on investment to the people who would vote and bear the tax cost, with would also likely also include a bond tariff on tourist renting cars, hotels, etc.

The Moanalua roof.
View attachment 144733
Excellent!

Now, about getting public approval for that pesky bond...

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Some kinda bug going around. I've been down since yesterday with a sore throat, heavy fatigue and some muscle soreness. Couple friends reported the same thing.
I just spent 3 days sick in bed, I'm calling it the flu. I had fever, cough, fatigue and a killer headache. I started feeling better yesterday but it will probably be a couple more days before I feel well enough to get in the water.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Most of the CT, including John John declining to take part in the Triple Crown this year. Among the women just BLSJ, Gabriella Bryan, and Carissa Moore. Mens it's just Ethan Ewing, Yago Dora, and Seth Moniz.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Most of the CT, including John John declining to take part in the Triple Crown this year. Among the women just BLSJ, Gabriella Bryan, and Carissa Moore. Mens it's just Ethan Ewing, Yago Dora, and Seth Moniz.
Good, a freakin joke now that it's all digital.

Reactions: mundus