Hawaii- Done

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Just wrapping up 12 days in Waikiki, I do it several times a year for work. It’s a tourist sh!t show without question, but still, there is an underlying vibe and beauty that consumes you. I surfed Queens a bunch over the past two weeks (mostly) nothing but good vibes and friendly faces. People having fun. Locals, kooks who can’t surf and transients like me on an 11.0 rental all having fun, it’s really unlike anywhere else. Took my last walk down to the Mai Tai bar tonight for one final drink and enjoyed the sunset followed by a dinner at Hy’s. Happy to be going home, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Waikiki. Especially on someone else’s dime!
Its a great place full of happy excited people .

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
View attachment 113566

i surfed head high mailie point from 530 to 830 with 3 guys out...when we left because we were burnt out at 830am the lineup was still head high and empty

then i went to head high threes and surfed another 2 hours from 11 to 1 with 2 guys out..

then I surfed head high kaisers today for 3 hours 430 till dark with 4 guys the whole time...

hawaii not done
The halalu are running. It’s awesome when they’re in Waimea Bay. Nature channel live from the cliff. The papio and ulua corral them into huge bait balls and pick em off. So cool seeing the the big fish skim board the shore break chasing the halalu. Sharks cruising around too. Must be able to see the action from the overlooking hotels by Kaiser’s.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Damn bro. Next time you’re here, I got a Native Hawaiian hug for you. A warm, brown shoulder for you to heal from whatever moke trauma you experienced.

Slide in my DM’s and let’s get cozy.
Wait, aren’t you a Chinese haole mix? :monkey:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
here's a good one
what's your favorite poi?
so many to choose from these days
now that should start a commotion

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I did - I have not name-dropped anyone previously but yes; Barry was my classmate. That's President Obama for you all.

Everyone called him Barry, no one knew his real name was Barack, ha ha.

Was the only black guy I can recall, but he was basically raised white as his mother was from Kansas and he lived with his white grandmother close to campus. Everyone kind of forgot he was half black anyway.

Very cool guy, we used to invite Barry to go to Outrigger after school and ride tankers with us at Old Man's, but he always had basketball practice -
my baby sister is a 79' too her best friend is your classmate too that's why I know about the Barry was no big deal scenario. She spent 11 years at KSBE and then her parents moved her to Punahou to get her diploma from punahou instead of KSBE and saved a ton on tuition but got the credential. Smart chinese/hawaiian parents. My uncle Paul was a groundskeeper there for decades.
I wonder how many of those $30K a year investments paid off and how many did no better than public school kids. Now that's a story. Especially when you're forced to work the carnival even after paying those amounts for tuition.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
And yes - being a practitioner of things culturally Polynesian is fundamentally incompatible with being a Christian, as pre-contact Hawaiians knew nothing of the Christian religion and the first stage of oppression is to embrace the religious beliefs of the oppressor.
At least you understand that religion is fundamentally about controlling a population and dynamically contrives its narrative and ethics in whatever way facilitates that function.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
View attachment 113566

i surfed head high mailie point from 530 to 830 with 3 guys out...when we left because we were burnt out at 830am the lineup was still head high and empty

then i went to head high threes and surfed another 2 hours from 11 to 1 with 2 guys out..

then I surfed head high kaisers today for 3 hours 430 till dark with 4 guys the whole time...

hawaii not done
time the traffic, stop for shave ice

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Offhand, has anyone rode their bicycle the full length of the twisty road on the NE coast of Maui? From A to B?

1627323768346.png

How was it? More fun than a car or miserable because of the cars? Is if better for views in on direction than the other?

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
friends/neighbors at my vacation place are from hawaii (and Hawaiian imagine that?) and are some of the most awesome, giving, and cool people I've ever met. Almost over the top when you first meet them but it's completely genuine.

Reactions: Boneroni

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Offhand, has anyone rode their bicycle the full length of the twisty road on the NE coast of Maui? From A to B?

How was it? More fun that a car or miserable because of the cars? Is if better for views in on direction than the other?
I'm nominating B to A for the views on the assumption you'll be on the ocean-side of the road instead of up against the land side. If what they say about the roads on that side of Maui are true, Lancing that sounds completely terrifying.

Reactions: Mr Doof

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
You know what's common and predictable?

Hawaii Locals being tough-guy Hawaii locals.
Hating on people who went to private school.
Resenting and rejecting any and all suggestions on how to improve Hawaii.
Maintaining people who are not born in Hawaii cannot be "from Hawaii" - that's just stupid.
Promoting local culture as some kind of superior social system when in fact, it is nothing significant or special in any way.

I am from Hawaii and I did attend a private school - those are facts and while I don't claim them to any degree, there is nothing anyone can do to change them.

You don't like to hear it, but the stretch of coastline from Diamond Head to Ala Moana is ugly, a brutalized remnant of a once-magnificent shoreline, modified for the use of tourists with lava blocks, concrete, and imported sand. Nothing beautiful about it, it is a travesty.

I understand why y'all defend Hawaii and "your" waves from any and all with all you have - when all you have is a group of tiny islands in the middle of the vast, empty North Pacific Ocean, there is nowhere else to go. Hawaii may be an insignificant group of islands in the greater context of The World; but dammit, they are OUR islands and everyone must show us respect, bla bla bla.

With the attitudes on display in this thread, it is apparent - Hawaii will remain a backwater of mediocrity, a military base for Uncle Sam and a playground for tourists, nothing more. A place from which anyone with any talent or ambition must escape, to the mainland or elsewhere and the people left are insular, surly, defensive and display exactly the kind of close-minded attitudes one should NOT have, living in a place of profound geographic isolation.

Hawaii - DONE.

And yes - being a practitioner of things culturally Polynesian is fundamentally incompatible with being a Christian, as pre-contact Hawaiians knew nothing of the Christian religion and the first stage of oppression is to embrace the religious beliefs of the oppressor.
Thank you Sir - may I have another!

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I've done Haleakala twice, backpacking and camping and exited out from the Paliku cabin and down through Kaupo Gap. Not sure how the road is but the Hana Road was quite busy back then only to the "seven sacred pools" and a bit further to visit Charles Lindberghs grave in Kipahulu. Two choices. Keep going through Kipahulu or turn around for the nauseating, ride back to where you came from. ~ :crazy2::barf:

Reactions: Mr Doof