Hawaii- Done

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You know what's common and predictable?

Hawaii Locals being tough-guy Hawaii locals.
Hating on people who went to private school.
Resenting and rejecting any and all suggestions on how to improve Hawaii.
Maintaining people who are not born in Hawaii cannot be "from Hawaii" - that's just stupid.
Promoting local culture as some kind of superior social system when in fact, it is nothing significant or special in any way.
I guess the irony is lost on you. Spouting of in a stereotypical coddled private school rant gets confronted with the stereotypical local moke reply.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Always stop at Alicia's Mkt on the way in from the airport... then again on the way back. Fort Ruger in between.
Brah. F*ck getting mad about naming surf spots. NO NAMING good local food spots. Ono’s Seafood, Leonard’s Bakery, Rainbow Drive Inn, Eggs and Things….Done. Locals not goin stand in line for an hour for a box of malasadas.EF655436-3C22-4C0B-8638-B1C66D49C33C.jpeg

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Brah. F*ck getting mad about naming surf spots. NO NAMING good local food spots. Ono’s Seafood, Leonard’s Bakery, Rainbow Drive Inn, Eggs and Things….Done. Locals not goin stand in line for an hour for a box of malasadas.
Yup.

Alicias is safe cause doubt anyone going to go into the industrial zone.

But I got all kine spots all through honolulu and kalihi that I like and don't want tourists to ruin.

Reactions: racer1

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yup.

Alicias is safe cause doubt anyone going to go into the industrial zone.

But I got all kine spots all through honolulu and kalihi that I like and don't want tourists to ruin.
Last summer Uncle Lance Hookano would tell everybody in the lineup you gotta try $5 Bento. Said he would get 4 or 5 eat one or two and give the rest to the kupuna in his neighborhood. One day I was standing in line in front of him with my mask on. I didn’t let him know it was me cause I didn’t want him to pay for my food. We worked on his house and he always wants to treat me if he sees me getting food.

Anyway next morning in the lineup. He teased me about hiding from him so he wouldn’t pay for my food. Then he complained about the line. Told him you been telling everyone who surfs here , and god knows all the other spots you surf about that place. Of course it’s going get busy. Haha

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I guess the irony is lost on you. Spouting of in a stereotypical coddled private school rant gets confronted with the stereotypical local moke reply.
This and the fact that the majority of us on the erBB consider his category of "professional surf photographer" those that follow the tour and/or blow up remote surf locations for a living, to be whores of the lowest order.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
here's a good one
what's your favorite poi?
so many to choose from these days
now that should start a commotion

Any kine, any time, but I think, about 3 days in the bowl, on the counter top...is just right!

back in the day I usually only saw Haleiwa or Taro brand, most time for me, I bought the Taro brand in the bag.

I used to stop at Waiahole Poi Factory if I as driving that way on their poi day and get a big bag from them. It was different than what I was used to but it was the real deal, and about as close to the source as one could get, one of the best!

..I am goingoutside now...just remembered, got left-over poke..and a bit of poi from the week-end...Monday's Lunch Special!...

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Last summer Uncle Lance Hookano would tell everybody in the lineup you gotta try $5 Bento.

5 dollar bento at kewalos
Last summer Uncle Lance Hookano would tell everybody in the lineup you gotta try $5 Bento.

5 dollar bentos!...at kewalos by the glass bottom boat tours!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ruger is kinda sketchy to me. It’s too hot in there and I don’t trust the fish if the AC isn’t running.

Pipeline bakery is better than Leonard’s anyway and 5 min up the street. Only thing is they don’t have cinnamon. Hawaii, fcking done.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Offhand, has anyone rode their bicycle the full length of the twisty road on the NE coast of Maui? From A to B?

View attachment 113589

How was it? More fun than a car or miserable because of the cars? Is if better for views in on direction than the other?
I'd say skip that idea. The way we used to drive that road, the way many locals still drive that road, the endless parade of clueless tourists stacked deep in rental cars, the one lane bridges and blind corners.....it's literally a game of inches sometimes at pretty decent speed. It could go bad really fast on a bicycle and garans a bunch of people end up annoyed with you on some of the long uphill sections when they can't get around you on the lane and a half wide road. It just seems way too stressful to be enjoyable unless you do it at 5am but then that's when the locals really haul ass on that road.

My dad and his friends used to ride their Harleys all the way around regularly but that was a different era.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If you wanna bike ride maui can prob ride along the path in Kihei starting in Wailea and then connect over too the road and ride up by 1000 peaks

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
didn't Alicia's burn down last year?
Did they rebuilld?

We used to eat at Helena's in Kalihi back in the day (before bishop estate kicked them out) and the original Highway Inn in waipahu by the drug dealers hangout. Best food always seem in the sketchy of places with little seating kind of like Alicia's where's there's little if no parking. One of my workers gives me balls of Limu Kohu and inamona she used to get from Alicia's.
That's all you need, some fine manauea, limu kohu, inamona and you can turn the worse fish into the best poke. We did it with the boney Awa(milkfish) we caught paipai netting in front of our beach house couldn't afford anything else. Kind of like sucking the meat of a lomi opelu skin.

Ft Ruger used to have a popup in the Pioneer Plaza food court as did Tanioka's but it was seasonal. $5 for one of those paper pill cups containing 4-8 pieces of fish.

We used to get our poke from Tanioka's when they were unknown and had a little store next to Gems in Waipahu but now they went and got all Sig Zane (like highway inn) and have a security guard to control the crowds at their Waipahu store across from where the old Wigwam and Ben Franklin used to be.

Too much pilikia to shop there now unless you can catch them between the rushes but who wants to drive through waipahu after they put in the rail line. Same with crowds at Liliha Bakery on Nimitz and Rainbows.

couple of hole in wall diamonds near me include:
For meat
Rays
Guava Smoked
Kau Kau Grill
Kanak Attack

Japanese
Ethels
Kikuya
Mitch's

my brother was gifted some maunawili poi friday so his wife made him this meal to go with it.
never heard of maunawili poi.
been eating allot more hanalei poi these days seems sweeter than the rest.
222503882_4545375008827471_4563285082806072102_n.jpg

Last edited: