Hawaii- Done

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Mr. J was my 6th grade math teacher. My fifth grade math teacher was Aaron Chaney, who I end up playing for and then coaching with for about 10 years. He ended up officiating in the Athens and Sydney games, each country only getting one referee that could attend. He was and still is a mentor to me.

Iolani had the little 25 yard pool until they built the new one my senior year. I did get to coach in the new one. Punahou's pool was why they were so dominant. I hated games up at Kamehameha cause was freezing :ROFLMAO: and the balls would always be flat, so they skipped easier. Home pool stuff. Always thought with all the waterman guys who surfed, etc... Kam would kill us, but we just got lucky and had better coaching.
Aaron was a little younger
The Choys were pretty dominant at Iolani as was Frosty and crew over at Punahou
Funny that Aaron was teaching when his family ended up one of the biggest local property management companies (ChaneyBrooks) here in Hawaii.
We (KS) were good in the water but had no discipline to be serious at the sport. It was fun but not a career like some made it. I think Aaron and Brian Olivera were around the same age. After school Brian went off to play at Pepperdine most of my crew ended up as City and County Lifeguards like Frosty and Tony Ho who guarded with Tom Stone.

I like watching the UH gals every now and then. Then can get up

like certain athletes all of them could squeeze their partner to tears

Reactions: HarryLopez2

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
At those prices it's better to buy the $2K first beater car you can find on craigslist, if you're going to be over there for more than a few days. Drive it for a week, sell it quick for a thou, save $$$$ and you don't have to worry about your rental car getting broken into at various beach parking spots.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

$722 a day for a rental car. Those are the kinds of visitors Hawaii is getting.
There's only like 100 rental cars on Maui, they shipped them all back to California last year. Supply and demand. Most tourists aren't renting, they're at the bus stops or taking ubers.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
At those prices it's better to buy the $2K first beater car you can find on craigslist, if you're going to be over there for more than a few days. Drive it for a week, sell it quick for a thou, save $$$$ and you don't have to worry about your rental car getting broken into at various beach parking spots.
that was my plan exactly!...instead im just going to ship my carnover for 1500 and let my friend rent it out on Turo...figure itll pay for itselfnin a couple weeks then when i go home ...free rental!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The downside to no rental cars is people running across the streets in Kailua town. Parking is wide open at beaches. All of them take the bus and Uber. But, when they walk around the shops you end up with people who just dart across the street rather than walk to a crosswalk.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
that was my plan exactly!...instead im just going to ship my carnover for 1500 and let my friend rent it out on Turo...figure itll pay for itselfnin a couple weeks then when i go home ...free rental!
This is an excellent idea steamroller! When I lived on maui, I bought a $400 dodge dart. got me to work and back, POS it was, but if that car is still around, it would sell for $1500.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
i did that in OZ and my car never got vandalized at "sensitive" beaches
cause i had local tags.
;)

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Totally!
How about a mainland to Islands private car sale venture?
We buy and ship used cars to islands and resell for big profits?
I’m sure someone is already doing just that....

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Totally!
I know of two transplants from Maui in Las Vegas who have been doing this for years. Vehicles from the dry desert environment with no rust issues, bought in Vegas and offered to Maui Residents for prices that are lower than the used car market on Maui. The prices, plus not having to deal with the rust issues of used cars and trucks from Maui, had them making some decent profits. Not sure if they continued during the Pandemic, I do not know, but the profits were such, I am sure that they plan on start up again in the future.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Totally!
You need a used car sales permit otherwise the state will catch on fairly quick.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Totally!
You need a used car sales permit otherwise the state will catch on fairly quick.
Some buddies were running slightly used Tundras and Tacomas from Texas to Hawaii. Decent margins due to demand in Hawaii versus price from Texas. State caught on in about 10 months. All up in their ass with some heavy fines if they get caught again.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
tacos are stupid money everywhere

know a guy just bought a clean '16 2wd quad cab shortbed with 60k for $36k out the door. dealer even sold him a $2k warranty ext on top out to 120,000 mi

im like dude...

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I went on a work trip and the nice lady at budget rental car upgraded me to a brand new 4x4 TRD Offroad Tacoma. Truck was so comfortable and awesome. Went and priced one out and decided my old clapped out beater is still good enough for me. lol.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
New Tacomas are over rated.

They’re under powered and they barely have a back seat and barely have a truck bed.

The fact people pay as much as they do is so wild to me.

Reactions: MathDebater