Hawaii- Done

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Token Iolani haole right here. Of course a thread about Hawaii has to involve high school talk and the following stereotypes that are joked about.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Haaaaahahahhahaha...ROTC!...I friken HATED THAT!...dress up in uniform every thursday...shine shoes shine brass...go to.drill...staff sgt...nitpicking every friken thing...i might just kik this guys a$$ at lunchtime...gotta wear that damn uniforn all day long...theres no way possible to keep your spit shined shoes from getting all screwed up by the end of the day

shooting 22s was fun though...and playing ranger ar Schofield barracks in the mountains too
You went Kam too?

I always thought you was from Kauai

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Kamehameha, was white shirt and kahki pants from kindergarten to 8th grade at McNeil Street, the Bishop Museum campus and the Preparatory School up on the hill. 9th grade ROTC started but in 7th and 8th grade, the "polish" your brass buckle on your web belt and spit shine your shoes was more impressed upon the male students.
Going barefooted to school like public school kids was cool until the 7th grade where shoes were required. The Bishop Museum campus was cool because the "manapua man" would walk through with his two cans hanging from a pole carried over his shoulders yelling "manapua ... pepe au" during recess & play time from class's. Manapua's cost a dime.
My Mom would give me two quarters or a 50 cent piece every morning. 15 cents to catch the bus in the morning and 15 cents to catching the bus home on the HRT bus that was run by overhead electrical lines. Diesel buses took folks to the outlaying areas. 20 cents for two manapua's. Eat one during recess and one on the way home on the bus.
The "how come you talk like one haole" always came up from some of the local kids at Kam school and "how come your last name is Smith, and I'd have to go through the "I was adopted" thingy ....
repeatedly.

Last edited:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Kamehameha, was white shirt and kahki pants from kindergarten to 8th grade at McNeil Street, the Bishop Museum campus and the Preparatory School up on the hill. 9th grade ROTC started but in 7th and 8th grade, the "polish" your brass buckle on your web belt and spit shine your shoes was more impressed upon the male students.
Going barefooted to school like public school kids was cool until the 7th grade where shoes were required. The Bishop Museum campus was cool because the "manapua man" would walk through with his two cans hanging from a pole carried over his shoulders yelling "manapua ... pepe au" during recess & play time from class's. Manapua's cost a dime.
My Mom would give me two quarters or a 50 cent piece every morning. 15 cents to catch the bus in the morning and 15 cents to catching the bus home on the HRT bus that was run by overhead electrical lines. Diesel buses took folks to the outlaying areas. 20 cents for two manapua's. Eat one during recess and one on the way home on the bus.
The "how come you talk like one haole" always came up from some of the local kids at Kam school and "how come your last name is Smith, and I'd have to go through the "I was adopted" thingy ....
repeatedly.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I actually love shining shoes. I shine my dress shoes. Something very zen about it and when it looks good, it looks really good.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I actually love shining shoes. I shine my dress shoes. Something very zen about it and when it looks good, it looks really good.
The idea behind this is that it forces you to have attention to detail and fills your time with stuff to keep you out of trouble since we no longer have farm chores to do. I've noticed you guys on here who did JROTC are all successful.

We've been locked-in homeschooling our boys this year and I can definitely see why they need a regular agenda of makework tasks. If they don't have chores, they become your problem.

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni and racer1

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
When we lived there I was too young to go to school but my brothers went to St. Patricks and my sister went to Sacred Heart. They all have fun stories about growing up haole in Hawaii in the late '50s.

• Love
Reactions: racer1 and PPK96754

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
When we lived there I was too young to go to school but my brothers went to St. Patricks and my sister went to Sacred Heart. They all have fun stories about growing up haole in Hawaii in the late '50s.
At St Louis in the 1990s and early 2000s if you was full haole you were going to have a rough time if you didnt have thick skin. You needed to know how to stand your ground and not take sht otherwise you were going to get it.

Essentially it was prison rules. lol.

Might have changed.

I only part haole so never really had any issues.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
when I went off to college I didn't have any "regular" clothes just one pair of blue jeans and a tons of surf shorts. When you wear khakis everyday my parents didn't see the need to buy them for us.
Anyway we spent most of our non-school time at the beach house.
my mom had to seamstress my dad's old clothes from the 50's which I took with me to college which would have been styling in the 80's but this was the semi hippy days of the 70's.
As a boarder and military brat you also learned how to make a coin tight bed and clean bathroom toilets etc without having to go thru boot camp. If you didn't do your chores you couldn't go off campus.

Did two years naval ROTC in college trying to get a scholarship until they kicked me out for being a "scientist" and not an engineer or business major. Kind of a waste of additional suffering for nothing.
At least it was easier for me doing the uniform thing and rifle drills coming from 4 years of prep at Kam. I have a dear friend that went nuke power with the whole Admiral Rickover interview thing, Another got a full ride through dental school and did most of his time in korea before finishing up back home.

As far as Iolani I remember Mr J and wished we had a waterpolo coach like him but their little pool and punahou's pool sucked compared to ours. Too bad we were never serious about it all like them. It was just a good way to beef in the water while building up your paddle power and breath holding ability. My first waterpolo coach was Bill Smith who didn't know anything about it.

That's the thing about Hawaii there's always ways to find connections here one way or another.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"My first waterpolo coach was Bill Smith who didn't know anything about it."

Bill, taught swimming classes on the Ewa side of the Natatorium on the small sandy beach and kick board classes (small foam boards / paipo style) in the pool at the Natatorium. When we were all proficient enough to swim, we were allowed to use the 2nd story water slide and jump off the lowest platform of the four story tower.

• Love
Reactions: HarryLopez2 and PJ

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Haaaaahahahhahaha...ROTC!...I friken HATED THAT!...dress up in uniform every thursday...shine shoes shine brass...go to.drill...staff sgt...nitpicking every friken thing...i might just kik this guys a$$ at lunchtime...gotta wear that damn uniforn all day long...theres no way possible to keep your spit shined shoes from getting all screwed up by the end of the day

shooting 22s was fun though...and playing ranger ar Schofield barracks in the mountains too
Mandatory ROTC in high school!!! UGH!! I had it; it was during vietnam, and the military was not real popular with teenagers then. My attitude reflected that, and those sergeants had their shoes up my ass for three straight years.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Even though I am (was) an historian and my field of study includes Hawaii, the book I'm going to recommend is a novel, mostly because I think it captures so well the experience of modern Hawaii while still delving in to culture and a little bit of the history. The book is "Sharks in the Time of Saviors" by Kawai Strong Washburn. It is his debut novel. I found it brilliant.
It's an engaging book and unique. The heavy handed writing could be quite good in parts, but not consistently, and when it was off it was like when the background music in a film becomes too overbearing and you notice it, and are pulled out of the story.

I enjoyed the pidgin and found myself thinking in pidgin. Wonda how long that gon lass.

A couple of things bugged me about it. It's so bigoted against white people, and supposedly what they represent, and yet the book reeks of romanticism and includes cliche Hollywood story-lines. Two things that are "the haolest of haole." Hawaiians and mulattoes have legitimate grievances, of course, but he seems to unwittingly promote what he condemns.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
A couple of things bugged me about it. It's so bigoted against white people, and supposedly what they represent, and yet the book reeks of romanticism and includes cliche Hollywood story-lines. Two things that are "the haolest of haole." Hawaiians and mulattoes have legitimate grievances, of course, but he seems to unwittingly promote what he condemns.
I thought that was one of the themes of the book? I'm about half way thought that he captured the feelings of a lot of local kids perfectly.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I don't know that the writer is bigoted against haoles, but his characters' perception of haoles and they way they talk about haoles seemed totally on point to me.

Maybe I have just heard so many of those "fuckin' haoles all da same!" conversations then getting the "eh YCBS, not you brah" :roflmao:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
his characters' perception of haoles and they way they talk about haoles seemed totally on point to me.
Agreed. That's not exactly what I'm talking about though. In the story, other cultures (besides Hawaiian), are often portrayed positively, for example, except for European, and yet the cultural heritage of romanticism is European.

Reactions: PPK96754