Hard edge rail full length

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Davey Smith was making his personal boards with hard edge rails tip to tip for awhile. They also had three fins on each side (6 total) and a line of nubsters running down the stringer from about the middle of the board to the leading edge of the front fins. :shrug::socrazy:

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
A bunch of GG Modfish - loved that hard edge in clean conditions , didnt like it when it was bumpy, always felt like the nose was catching.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The mantra is that hard edges release water.
OK, I'm just thinking out loud here. The release function of a hard edge and a rolled hard edge as we progress from the wide point towards the tail, I get it. The hard edge provides release. The tucked hard edge provides release with control. It's a compromise. The rear of the board is about release and/or control. Where I have a hard time is what is happening FORWARD of the wide point. Is that release up say a foot from the nose? It's water entry isn't it? The water is coming in, into contact with the board. Seems like that is water entry, not water release? Isn't that a different thing?

When I was a much better test pilot I used to order my boards with full length edges. I liked the way they felt going through rail turns. There was a hot-knife-through-butter carving effect that I loved. Eventually I felt like hard rails in the nose, in chop, in bumpy mush, that hard edge forward could gain me some awkward moments. Recovery from moves far out on the periphery of my capability was more difficult. With the hard edges, things had to be more perfect. Both my technique and the water surface. Hard edges all the way up the board in glassy surf with some speed, primarily focusing on rail surfing, love it. The soft forward edge, up where the nose of the board was entering the water as I went through a turn, in the end it felt more forgiving. I used to think I would like two versions of the same board. One with soft forward rails for junk and one with hard edges all the way for good surf. Seemed excessive.

Seems to I remember Griff telling me the forward soft rail/forgiveness thing was bullshit.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Have you ridden any boards with hard edges? Inquiring minds and all.
Aleutian juice boards have that. I haven’t ridden enough to think if it’s good or bad, just think they’re ugly.

GG used to interject into every design discussion that some design was bullshlt, or that he invented in fourty years ago and was already over it, and everyone would be like “whatever dude, stop interrupting”

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
There are obviously many ways to use design features, and to combine them. Had one of the earliest MC Protows, and it had a 1/2" concave and very hard rails nose to tail. It was an absolute racehorse, a dream when on my game and in good conditions, but so unforgiving. Surfed too much chop, so sold it, but an incredible board.

My Keogh has gun has lots of design elements that contradict how it rides: tiny fins far up; hard edge all the way; channels; heavy tail rocker. Together they somehow make for a very smooth, very drivey board that is easy to ride. And FAST!

I feared I'd have to really up my game, but instead it has proven to be the perfect retirement gun, and I hope to ride it well into my 70s.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
have a bonzer alpha omega twin with hard edge nose to tail, definitely not the easiest board to ride in chop or connect the dots surf but felt insane on a clean face. also had a protow that was very similar vibes

interestingly both boards also have super extreme concave (protow) or channel (alpha omega) bottoms, so that was probably a contributing factor

loved both boards for the right surf but sold both of them due to their lack of range

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
OK, I'm just thinking out loud here. The release function of a hard edge and a rolled hard edge as we progress from the wide point towards the tail, I get it. The hard edge provides release. The tucked hard edge provides release with control. It's a compromise. The rear of the board is about release and/or control. Where I have a hard time is what is happening FORWARD of the wide point. Is that release up say a foot from the nose? It's water entry isn't it? The water is coming in, into contact with the board. Seems like that is water entry, not water release? Isn't that a different thing?

When I was a much better test pilot I used to order my boards with full length edges. I liked the way they felt going through rail turns. There was a hot-knife-through-butter carving effect that I loved. Eventually I felt like hard rails in the nose, in chop, in bumpy mush, that hard edge forward could gain me some awkward moments. Recovery from moves far out on the periphery of my capability was more difficult. With the hard edges, things had to be more perfect. Both my technique and the water surface. Hard edges all the way up the board in glassy surf with some speed, primarily focusing on rail surfing, love it. The soft forward edge, up where the nose of the board was entering the water as I went through a turn, in the end it felt more forgiving. I used to think I would like two versions of the same board. One with soft forward rails for junk and one with hard edges all the way for good surf. Seemed excessive.

Seems to I remember Griff telling me the forward soft rail/forgiveness thing was bullshit.
As usual all of what you wrote makes sense. After riding the recently acquired DVS 7' carbon rocket fish a couple of times it had me thinking I should order another one from Dick before he hangs up the planer. I'd order it with a wider nose to make it a touch better wave catcher so could extend its useability.
I'm not planing on riding the boards when its choppy anyways so happy to have the hard edge.
Riding boards like the CJ Nelson outlier with its hullesque belly up front and roll into the forward rails really showed me how forgiving a board can be in chop when turning. It also has a hard edge that extends quite a way up from the tail.
The hot knife through butter feel when at speed with the hard edge is addictive.

Reactions: Sharky

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I made myself several boards with a GG type rails and liked most of them. I went on a trip to Nica and got into some pretty good quality waves for a number of days allowing for more critical assessment. I came back and made some subtle but significant changes to my quiver omitting the hard edge (among other changes) I did this more to ease production than abandon the concept. The difference for me is subtle and not worth the amount of extra effort that goes into maintaining that edge all the way through production (ultimately having to cast the same as one would in the tail) I think that incorporating type of hard edge requires more careful thought on rail volume, tuck and apex. ymmv

Reactions: jkb