Hard edge rail full length

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
had a Mermaid (6'0) with hard edges tip to tail. The curves of the board and its foil was so beautiful. I wanted so much to love the board. Had some of the best turns and trim lines of my middle aged surfing life on it but then I would completely ruin a more basic turn. It was love/hate. It was fast. It did what he advertises. But it is not forgiving on your turns. Steep drops are not where the edges can hurt you. They help with steep drops. The board gets traction quickly on the drop. It is in the turns that you may not like them.

I presently have a MC EEV Shorty that has hard edges but not razor sharp through the nose. It has not had the problems in carves/turns that the Mermaid with edges tip to tail did.

I have to say again, that the curves and foil on both boards are beautiful.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The Aipa Wrecking Ball has a pretty crazy looking hard edge bevel going down the rail. Was checking it out when picking up a board one day. Not sure how it goes, but looked interesting.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i used to get hard edges all the way
had em in my 1st quad in 94
it was magic
but i think it woulda been regardless of edge

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Have ridden several, mostly Parmenters and Grffins. They work particularly well on EPS. The board feels less chattery and more connected, if that makes sense.

I never noticed a draw back but I never rode one in legit solid surf.

Reactions: chilly1

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
pretty much just have to try for yourself. each hard edge board I've ridden had weird sweet spots and the rail would slide out easily. Maybe if I got used to them but griffs and the one parmy I rode felt weird to me.

Reactions: JDJ

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
There was a Lewis Samuel's article years ago about a dude that lives in NorCal up near the Oregon border. The boards he rode were hard edged from nose to tail to handle the wild and woolly surf up there. StuDog shrug.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have a couple magic boards with full length hard edges. I always attributed their quick acceleration right after take off to the edges. One is a 2+1 and one is a twinzer. Now I wonder if it might be the forward placement of the rail fins? I have a thruster with hard edges that does not have the instant speed.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
My current gun has fairly hard edge and low apex nose to tail. Great board for serious waves. Really locks it in. Never had one like that as a DD, tho.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Anyone ever ridden a board with a hard edge all the way from tail to nose?
I have see a few Maurice Cole boards and they had a hard edge full length, but I never rode one.
How do they feel?
Ever have issues with the front edge of the rail catching during steep drops?
Quite the opposite...locks into the face for a really connected feel on steep drops.
Hard edge on this 7' DVS carbon rocket fish runs nose to tail. Wonkiness in the pic is just an optical illusion.
IMG_2266.JPG
12 min mark Gary mentions hard edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: erik1938