Hand Kite Foiling

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
So steamroller's all about the GL 180 now. Kaser's all about the F-one swing. You've got the Ozone. We've got enough people on the new equipment to get varied reviews now.

What is more important to the wings? strong 18knot + winds? Or consistent steady winds with no holes in it?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hopefully I’ll get a few days in from tomorrow. I have zero wind time thought, so I’m expecting a certain period of butthurt and humiliation.

I can tell you one thing though, it packs down very compact and is ridiculously light. The Duotone and especially the Slingshot looked like 10 man tents in comparison. Good for travel or doing the walk of shame.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes, starting to get enough of these out there to hear some first-hand reports and (hopefully) unbiased reviews. I suspect we'll start to see the field separate into echelons of quality.

I heard a first-hand report that ozone and f-one feel more powered than others at same size. Here's a review today on seabreeze "I find the ozone feels like it has more power for its size compared to F1 and SS. It might be that it holds the wind more with its flatter profile. The F1 is my favorite so far, easy to use, only two handles to choose from and the strut is bowed down with the floating canopy so it sits higher when one handed while riding waves. I tend to hit myself in the head sometimes with the ozone. The SS feels over built, under powered, the window isn't needed but makes it take up more room when rolled up. The wing tips also catch water more than the other two so it's a pain flipping it over. "

I have a gong, so hoping to hear some comparisons from people who have tried this and others. So far, it seems to me ozone is getting the best-in-show reviews. Unfortunately the price reflects it.

It's really interesting to hear the discussion on this forum from non-wind chasers who are using these wings as a relatively easy and inexpensive way to start. I suspect you may find it's a gateway drug that leads into kiting ... as a long-time surfer who used to hate wind (like most surfers), once you learn to love it, a whole new world of stoke opens up. :)

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I was able to bring back to life my Go Pro and got a few runs in before it decided to crap out again. Here's a quick sample of the afternoon. Was me and about 4 other wingers out there chasing eachother around while catching glides over the outside reefs. There should be some vids coming on line soon from Alex I'll share when he posts up, he had his Go Pro out there too.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
This video highlights the wave riding potential really nicely I think. {If a repeat, apologies}
In Maui, maybe one of them is you Kaser? :)
Once on the wave, wing just floats behind them.
They aren't changing feet, in straps, maintain dominant surfing stance.

Nah I wasn't in that vid, but was out for one of their sessions when they were here. The guy with the yellow kite was Tituon from New Caledonia, he's a team rider for F One. They were here for the M2O race this year. Watching them that day sold me on the wing foiling.:love:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Nice runs. Even though the video is mostly of your sleeve :) How does going toe-side feel? When I was kiting I made myself a rope sliding spreader bar so that I could go toeside and not have to ride switch. Worked pretty well.

How come no wave rides in the video? (you pump through another of that guys videos and the filmer says "here comes Jason following him")

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Nice runs. Even though the video is mostly of your sleeve :) How does going toe-side feel? When I was kiting I made myself a rope sliding spreader bar so that I could go toeside and not have to ride switch. Worked pretty well.

How come no wave rides in the video? (you pump through another of that guys videos and the filmer says "here comes Jason following him")
YEa my normal mount for the GoPro broke so the one I had to use was pointing down the whole time. Didn't have any wave rides in that vid cause that was my first pass and was just getting warmed up, also my camera crapped out after a few runs but Alex should be posting up the wave rides, he was following everyone with the camera.

I'm pretty comfortable going toeside now. It does stress your legs more, so I've got going switch on my to do list. Since I'm goofy I'm headed out normal and coming back in is toeside. Which will be nice to hit some ramps going out once I get more comfortable.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Ay Steamroller,
Get your hacksaw and Araldite out and move those stab wings forward. It’s epic, you will bust a nut.

Whoa!...every time you come up with a new idea it turns out kikass!...im gonna go search your posts...thanks...i scrolled by you stab postsearlier gotta go study them now....

also the gotta be really careful with the GL tail...its not nearly as rock proof a

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Kaser,

Someone needs to hire you as a foil and wing consultant. You have so much knowledge about different gear. Someone on the kiteforum quoted one of your posts from here.

I was wondering if that Jimmy Lewis board I bought from you would work for this? I since got a smaller board for prone riding and the Jimmy Lewis is just sitting there collecting dust.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Torn between the Ozone or the F-one.

I love kiting but I see this as being a really awesome alternative to kiting and prone foiling. Exciting times!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
well shoot...flying with no whitecaps out...i was thinking i need the gong 7m to get airborne...how many knots is this?...certainly not nuking...
I think it's about 12-15. It's butter once you get it up. But on the low end sometimes you gotta do the rowing pump action to get lift off.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Kaser,

Someone needs to hire you as a foil and wing consultant. You have so much knowledge about different gear. Someone on the kiteforum quoted one of your posts from here.

I was wondering if that Jimmy Lewis board I bought from you would work for this? I since got a smaller board for prone riding and the Jimmy Lewis is just sitting there collecting dust.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Torn between the Ozone or the F-one.

I love kiting but I see this as being a really awesome alternative to kiting and prone foiling. Exciting times!

YES! The JL would be perfect. It's got alot of volume and if you're smaller than me you should be able to get it going. I'd hold onto that board as it'll come in handy for wing foiling. I'd also recommend getting a strap for at least the front foot. It helps pull the board outa the water and let the wing pull you up on foil. They make stick on mounts that I use on my board that work excellent.

If you have wind where you are, and I think you do..I highly recommend getting a wing, I'm sold on the F One so you know which one I'd recommend ;)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
get a production GL...i have a sneaky feeling the production models are all waaaaaaay better than the prototypes...i got a production GL180 from karla last week....Hoooollee friiikkkkeeen CRAP this thing is GOOOD!..
doublenthespeed and double the lift of mynProto GL210...i had to.move the footstraps foreward one hole and move the mast back a half inch in the tracks in order to keep the nose down and control it...good grief this thing is AWESOME!...and i aint no light weight neither
Taken from standupzone. "James Casey told me 180 and 210 are same width just different chords with 180 being faster."

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Click over to the 2nd photo in my last post, you can see the new GL140 and GL100 wings. :love:

amundsoncustoms's profile picture
amundsoncustoms
I rode the 140 today! It is absolutely the best surf wing I have ridden yet!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Taken from standupzone. "James Casey told me 180 and 210 are same width just different chords with 180 being faster."
I've only ridden the protos and can tell you the 180 was noticably faster/more efficient than the 210.

Kalama rides the 140 in most surfing conditions and he rips the thing. And he's about my weight around 200lbs AND he's on a SUP. So it might be safe to say the GL100 may be prone friendly. I'll try and sample and let you all know.