Hand Kite Foiling

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
A pretty new application that's blowing up on Maui right now are these hand kites, or wing foiling, they haven't really coined a label yet. Naish, Duotone, F-one, and I'm sure many others going to jump on this. They run about $800 and I've seen more and more out. It's a good alternative when surf is small (or big) to paddling in.

I was out this evening and this guy fell only once in about 2 hours. Non stop doing loops.

I'm not a wind sport person, but I'm seriously considering getting one due to the amount of paddling I have to do in the winter to get to the outer reefs.

The guy in the vid is on a small SUP, but did see him last night water start with a small prone foil board.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
we have one here at my work. For me it doesn't blow my hair back. I can grab a kite or wind Sup and have way more fun. In my opinion its a fad and will fade quickly with other options you are already doing.

But who knows

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
whats waaaaaaaay more impressive to me is when you pumped back out....pumped a 360....and then kept going out to sea a little bit....KIKA$$....is that all on the IWA 1.5 ultra light wing....shoot i need one of those....

yeah good luck getting one of those damn things....i made 3 trios to hawaii this summer ...2 to oahu and 1 to maui with cash on hand trying to buy one nobody would sell it to me....naish had one they let me try but wouldn't sell....blue planet had 2 to sell but ....not yet.....WTF.....emailed ALL the companies back in april 4 to 6 weeks became 6to 8 weeks to soon soon...buuuuuul$#!t....over it...going to gonkite instead

kaser you REALLLY need to get crakin with the wind sports stuff....its a whole nother world of FUN...and you hang out with ALL the full on legends of the sport....i been following Alex and daves career since I was 15 years old....and youre on MAUI....sheeeeooot

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Steamroller said:
whats waaaaaaaay more impressive to me is when you pumped back out....pumped a 360....and then kept going out to sea a little bit....KIKA$$....is that all on the IWA 1.5 ultra light wing....shoot i need one of those....

yeah good luck getting one of those damn things....i made 3 trios to hawaii this summer ...2 to oahu and 1 to maui with cash on hand trying to buy one nobody would sell it to me....naish had one they let me try but wouldn't sell....blue planet had 2 to sell but ....not yet.....WTF.....emailed ALL the companies back in april 4 to 6 weeks became 6to 8 weeks to soon soon...buuuuuul$#!t....over it...going to gonkite instead

kaser you REALLLY need to get crakin with the wind sports stuff....its a whole nother world of FUN...and you hang out with ALL the full on legends of the sport....i been following Alex and daves career since I was 15 years old....and youre on MAUI....sheeeeooot
yea the iwa light.

hope I can get a kite before winter, save me from having to get a SUP

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Kiting has taken over for me

Wing thingys, not so much. And so hard to get I have em 👍🏼

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I got a gong 5m wing. About 60% cost of the big brands....$750cdn all in. I have dreams of the endless loops described above, foil surfing without paddling, and without being attached to a kite (I am fully into kite surfing but at its best it's still not quite like surfing). Also for situations where kiting isn't possible or feasible. However those dreams will have to wait a bit ... first 2 attempts show this is harder than it looks!

rossky

OTF status
Apr 4, 2006
Really want to try this before I drop a big chunk of change. Any demos in San Diego, or anyone want to rent theirs for an hour?

airboy808

Gerry Lopez status
May 22, 2009
Saw this on the standup-zone forum posted by Kiwi and figure share the link here that they have been collecting for the various wings in the market.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Most of the videos posted so far are not all that inspiring, flat water lawn mowing, way slower and less maneuverable than kitefoil or windfoil. But some gooders are starting to arrive, as the talented folks start pushing the limits. Like Kai Lenny doing big airs. But it's surf footage I am after. This video sums up exactly what I am hoping for with this wing ... tow in sup/surf foiling without a jetski, no paddle wave riding without pump monkeying. :)

"I gotta say it’s a lot of fun gliding into waves, killing the power and just surfing while saving the paddle back out "

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I'd have to agree, the un assisted foiling I think I've plateaued. Long rides are great and all, but the miles of paddling back out gets old. You can only do so much on foil, turns and pumpouts and such and it's getting monotonous. I've hit it pretty hard for the past coupe years, now I'm ready for something new and this is a really good fit for us here on Maui. This is really going to open things up for us small board proners here on the north side in the winter.

P.S. My 4.2m F One has shipped and should be here any day now. Really looking forward to switching my normal schedule from hunting for surf early a.m. to staying home, getting work done, then winging afternoons.;)

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I'd have to agree, the un assisted foiling I think I've plateaued. Long rides are great and all, but the miles of paddling back out gets old. You can only do so much on foil, turns and pumpouts and such and it's getting monotonous. I've hit it pretty hard for the past coupe years, now I'm ready for something new and this is a really good fit for us here on Maui. This is really going to open things up for us small board proners here on the north side in the winter.

P.S. My 4.2m F One has shipped and should be here any day now. Really looking forward to switching my normal schedule from hunting for surf early a.m. to staying home, getting work done, then winging afternoons.;)
Did you buy it from BAKS and did Billy help you?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Did you buy it from BAKS and did Billy help you?
Nah our local shop put in the order, dunno if they came from BAKS or ?

Tracking said delivered yeseterday evening, hoping to pick up today and get it going.

I'll post feedback if anyone interested. There's all different kinds now in the community here and I'm sure I'll be able to swap and test different ones.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Nah our local shop put in the order, dunno if they came from BAKS or ?

Tracking said delivered yeseterday evening, hoping to pick up today and get it going.

I'll post feedback if anyone interested. There's all different kinds now in the community here and I'm sure I'll be able to swap and test different ones.
Gotcha. More than likely they got it from them since they are the Distributor.

They are def. have differences with construction, handles etc. We blew the bladder out of our Slingshot....Have fun

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
go....get....a...KITE!!!!
I find this an interesting comment, as I have been an absolute kite addict for the last 12 years & since I have caught the foil bug - have not touched a kite for 8 months & now seriously considering getting one of these wings.
IMO, In waves - kites are too easily outrun by the foil.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I find this an interesting comment, as I have been an absolute kite addict for the last 12 years & since I have caught the foil bug - have not touched a kite for 8 months & now seriously considering getting one of these wings.
IMO, In waves - kites are too easily outrun by the foil.
He means a hand kite I’m sure.

Bring one back for me to try steamroller.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
F One Swing picked up yesterday and drove straight to Kanaha for it's first go. Also got a new mast as I'd sold my other one.

First impressions, the F One is more user friendly. The Duo Tone you had to man handle and it was alot heavier. Also when you fell with the Duo Tone it would violently flap in the wind pounding the water surface (and anything around it). The F One doesn't do that.

The F One doesn't have a boom, just handles which isn't a big deal IMO when tacking. I don't know much about wind sports so I can't really compare "performance" just yet.

IMG_20190916_165142.jpg