Hand Kite Foiling

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Just got this for $30. 6.3” x 27.5” x 3.5” 87 litres. 6.5kg.

I’m hoping it might me going with the wing....any thoughts from wingers, I have zero wind experience but I have a good feeling about this one.

If it doesn’t work out, I’ve got 2 sets of straps (which I’ll put on my next prone) and 3 massive cf fins that I can make stabs out of. I’ll do something creepy with the board.

3190E0D2-55E0-4FA3-969F-FF8E897B2C3B.jpegB7DD7816-A82D-403A-8026-9E0BD75582CD.jpeg

Reactions: Topmick

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yesterday's fun level just went up a notch. Perfect wind and some chest to head hi surf made it super fun. I doubt I'll paddle for a wave ever again.

IMG_20190922_163943.jpg

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
clamsmasha: here you go, repurposing kite foil race boards with wing
Kaser: rad...your report is exactly what i am hoping for with the wing thing. What wind strength are you in? (for the 4.2 wing I think?) For riding other foot forward: in kite foiling, I mostly just ride with dominant stance, toeside/heelside -- but for longer tacks, you need to learn to foil the other way too. A time investment that kinda sucks, it's better to do it early, while still somewhat in kook mode ... gets harder and harder later on to go back and eat that humble pie once again. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
clamsmasha: here you go, repurposing kite foil race boards with wing
Kaser: rad...your report is exactly what i am hoping for with the wing thing. What wind strength are you in? (for the 4.2 wing I think?) For riding other foot forward: in kite foiling, I mostly just ride with dominant stance, toeside/heelside -- but for longer tacks, you need to learn to foil the other way too. A time investment that kinda sucks, it's better to do it early, while still somewhat in kook mode ... gets harder and harder later on to go back and eat that humble pie once again. :)

Yes on the 4.2 and wind about 12kts on the low end. Been out in some low 20's and it gets interesting. But can manage just gotta sheet out more to dump power.

I'd been going almost every day, today I rested as those 2 hour sessions really take a toll on your body. Never did a wind sport so using new muscles and I'm feeling it.

On another note, saw this and the hands behind the back toeside has me thinking.
http://instagr.am/p/B2wgEvUINzr/

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How much attention do you have to give to the hand kite when you are holding just the front handle and riding a wave?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
How much attention do you have to give to the hand kite when you are holding just the front handle and riding a wave?
None really. Well not the F One, the others aren't as light and the Duo Tone kinda twists alittle in the wind. Mine stays pretty flat. It has to do with the wing shape I'm told.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
you're out in head highish waves with the Maliko200...now THATS some skill...
Yea, i may need to figure out if I can get the Iwa going. The M200 is pretty slow when you get speed going, I see the GL's may be the way to go. Most are using them and I just got a new mast I need to fit my (proto)GL180 to. Or buy a production GL that will fit without modifying my mast.:sneaky:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Yea, i may need to figure out if I can get the Iwa going. The M200 is pretty slow when you get speed going, I see the GL's may be the way to go. Most are using them and I just got a new mast I need to fit my (proto)GL180 to. Or buy a production GL that will fit without modifying my mast.:sneaky:
I’m sure the GL will work nicely, mine seems to get up really easily at low speed. 210 that is

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
This video highlights the wave riding potential really nicely I think. {If a repeat, apologies}
In Maui, maybe one of them is you Kaser? :)
Once on the wave, wing just floats behind them.
They aren't changing feet, in straps, maintain dominant surfing stance.

Reactions: Kaser1

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
get a production GL...i have a sneaky feeling the production models are all waaaaaaay better than the prototypes...i got a production GL180 from karla last week....Hoooollee friiikkkkeeen CRAP this thing is GOOOD!..
doublenthespeed and double the lift of mynProto GL210...i had to.move the footstraps foreward one hole and move the mast back a half inch in the tracks in order to keep the nose down and control it...good grief this thing is AWESOME!...and i aint no light weight neither

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
This video highlights the wave riding potential really nicely I think. {If a repeat, apologies}
In Maui, maybe one of them is you Kaser? :)
Once on the wave, wing just floats behind them.
They aren't changing feet, in straps, maintain dominant surfing stance.

Ay Steamroller,
Get your hacksaw and Araldite out and move those stab wings forward. It’s epic, you will bust a nut.