Greg Griffin RIP

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
That makes sense. Explains the thick stringer too. DId you ever get the sense that he was experimenting with bottom contours?
Greg once posted a picture of a concaved board he shaped, I think his rolled inverted V was something he thought up himself. I think one of the reasons he used to dismiss opinions the rest of the erBB expressed on bottom contours is because he felt that he had lived and breathed the design evolution of bottom contours (and other parts of the surfboard). His work for Town and Country in Hawaii and being close to other influential designers such as Brewer. He therefore thought that the rest of us were operating with incomplete knowledge.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Loved talking with GG about board design(when you could keep him on topic) he was (seems to me) interested in simple, clean, efficient designs, all elements working together. Too much of anything and you get a board that can be reactive when conditions don't suit.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
i bought one of davey's old boards from surfnsail next to kuu aina in the early 90's. A 6''8" mini swallow shaped by rawson.
Fast board that tended to pivot off the single fin more than i liked. I also bought a used reverse vee by arakawa at the same time. they both ran about the same. Davey was a pioneer of those 5 fin bonzers on the northshore. one of the few who surfed them back then. Bobby Owens surfed them too they both had a similar knock knee style and ripped sunset.