Greg Griffin RIP

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Randomly ran across this pic on the interwebs and I don’t remember GG posting about it before. Anyone know the story on this bottom? Miss his posts and stories.
View attachment 145662
I didn't have much email correspondence with Greg, however that design was covered. That would be a Griffin implementation of the "Inverted V" design. Which I consider to be a "panel concave", although a key difference is that Greg described the modern shortboar concave as "cup shaped" whereas that has Greg's philosophy of "flaring outwards". As I learned from this forum Greg was not at all keen on the idea of cupping water!

He sent me pic of a Matt Kazuma Kinoshita inverted V gun and that took the panel all the way up to the edge at least as far as in front of the fins, whereas Greg's version above looks like the V panel only reaches the rail at the wing. According to the correspondence these Kazuma inverted V guns were trusted tow boards at Jaws in the early 90s.

Inverted V came out of the T&C factory and Greg said it was an evolution of the early Brewer concaves (which were not cup shaped).

I think we can safely believe that Greg ultimately settled for the flat bottom, but he has tried other designs :) I've never been to the North Shore, but its interesting.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Thanks for that @Mr J Triggered some recall of him discussing the inverted vee bottom before. I vaguely remember someone on here ordering or trying to get him to shape one.
I think the inverted V tow boards would work because the downturned edge of the rail would grip the wave without having to bank the board over so much. With the tail narrowing like that and the panel being flattish plane so would not have a destabilising cupping effect. Although I think Greg's objection to the cupping effect was that it was crude and produced drag - he gave the analogy of sticking a cupped palm hand out of the window of a car as opposed to holding the hand flat.

One of the recurring heated design discussion points that I used to get into with Greg was that I liked the shallow concave which even if it was crudely implemented in the software with a cup shape, being shallow it did not cup the water by providing a bit of lift (and a destabilsing effect which manageable by me coz I like my boards narrow). I had a lot respect for Greg despite our disagreements on this point and I acknowledged that he had a rich participation in the evolution of surfboards whereas I was only a hobbyist.

Looks like this one is 6' 10" x 15 something. Narrow!

KazumaInvertedV.jpeg

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

George K
told me once in the lineup at white plains that he invented the panel vee and that Rusty stole his C5 fin design..

I can hear GG laughing with his smirking laughter as I post this
He always laughed when I told him this story

I bet if I asked Ben the same question in the lineup he would've also told me that he invented it.

Attachments

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Didn't he shape one for Retodd? I think I saw it on the racks at Usedsurf.com at some point.

I think this is a thread discussing it - https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/boards-for-bigger-surfers-vs-smaller-surfers.231295/page-5#post-3312644
He did. I rode it. Worked really well. I just remember that it felt tiny and Retodd is a bigger dude.

The strange thing about Greg’s boards is that the dims were very misleading. His 20 1/2 felt like 19 1/2 and 2 3/4 was at most 3/8 from other shapers.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think the inverted V tow boards would work because the downturned edge of the rail would grip the wave without having to bank the board over so much. With the tail narrowing like that and the panel being flattish plane so would not have a destabilising cupping effect. Although I think Greg's objection to the cupping effect was that it was crude and produced drag - he gave the analogy of sticking a cupped palm hand out of the window of a car as opposed to holding the hand flat.

One of the recurring heated design discussion points that I used to get into with Greg was that I liked the shallow concave which even if it was crudely implemented in the software with a cup shape, being shallow it did not cup the water by providing a bit of lift (and a destabilsing effect which manageable by me coz I like my boards narrow). I had a lot respect for Greg despite our disagreements on this point and I acknowledged that he had a rich participation in the evolution of surfboards whereas I was only a hobbyist.

Looks like this one is 6' 10" x 15 something. Narrow!

View attachment 145666
I miss GG. He was set in his ways and had air tight explanations for those ways. I wonder if he still experimented in his later years or if that all happened back in the day?

15" might be the nose dim? Otherwise 6-10 x 15 is super extreme. As extreme or even more than the BK boards of the 70's.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I could be wrong but I got got the impression from the email conversation that it was a 90s tow board.
That makes sense. Explains the thick stringer too. DId you ever get the sense that he was experimenting with bottom contours?