Go Michigan!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
When you say something stupid, semantics is all you have.

People were spending money on Black Friday like there's no tomorrow.
Lol, What did I backpaddle on? We forced certain types of businesses to close their doors or at best severely limit the amount of business they do. Hospitality/entertainment fitness and personal care have been especially hard hit.

If there was no hardship, people wouldn’t sit in their cars forever to collect free food. Black Friday sales anecdotes don’t cancel out the fact that certain sectors of the economy are getting screwed.

BTW, what compelled you to top this thread with a quote of mine that is months old? Not that I care, because I still stand by what I said, but it seems that you are missing arguing with me since the election called things down? You must be miserable.

Reactions: Jonahbrah

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Because it's a one line in one place.
you can find those photos from many different cities. Posted by liberal news sources and even Hal9000 as a dig against Trump. Guess it’s only valid when it’s used against Trump?

Reactions: Jonahbrah

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Lol, What did I backpaddle on? We forced certain types of businesses to close their doors or at best severely limit the amount of business they do. Hospitality/entertainment fitness and personal care have been especially hard hit.

If there was no hardship, people wouldn’t sit in their cars forever to collect free food. Black Friday sales anecdotes don’t cancel out the fact that certain sectors of the economy are getting screwed.
The numbers are not anecdotes, economy is doing just fine, despite the anecdotal food lines.

Also, Americans would line up for free anything.

BTW, what compelled you to top this thread with a quote of mine that is months old? Not that I care, because I still stand by what I said, but it seems that you are missing arguing with me since the election called things down? You must be miserable.
I didn't top it dummy, somebody else did. I just read the thread posts from where I read it last.
That's what algo does.

I'm not here every hour of every day.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
ROFLOLO

Drama queen.

Nothing is shut down, not even restaurants, let alone capitalism.
Kento made a comment like "capitalism aint working" and my comment was a reply to that. Context, dumfuk. Of course all of capitalism is not shut down, that's a strawman.

You keep ignoring the fact that certain sectors of the economy have been forced to stop doing business or doing so in a way that is far less profitable. Of course take out restaurants are doing fine, but not very many people are spending $50-100+ to buy a steak dinner in a styrofoam carton. In the the mid-to-high end range, people eat out for the experience, and those types of restaurants are hurting.

What about gyms, crossfit/yoga/etc, massage parlors, hair salons? No hardship there?
The numbers are not anecdotes, economy is doing just fine, despite the anecdotal food lines.
I never said that the economy wasn't. What I said is that certain sectors and professions are getting hammered. Nuance, idiot. Most white collar workers are doing well.

Also, Americans would line up for free anything.
Nobody is going to get in that line unless they have the time to do so, because they are unemployed, and if they value their time less than the value of the food.

I'm not here every hour of every day.
You've made how many posts to this handle since FF was banned, which averages out to how many posts per day? :ROFLMAO:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Kento made a comment like "capitalism aint working" and my comment was a reply to that. Context, dumfuk. Of course all of capitalism is not shut down, that's a strawman.

You keep ignoring the fact that certain sectors of the economy have been forced to stop doing business or doing so in a way that is far less profitable. Of course take out restaurants are doing fine, but not very many people are spending $50-100+ to buy a steak dinner in a styrofoam carton. In the the mid-to-high end range, people eat out for the experience, and those types of restaurants are hurting.
Not entirely true. While we’ve been cooking at home a lot more than ever before we’ve still made it a point to order take out. Sure most of the takeout we do tends to be more modest takeout friendly fare but we have a date night every week or two where we will order in from good local “mid-to-high end restaurants” in the area we like to support. Hippo in highland park is one of our favorites. We’ve been going regularly since opening night and they’ve adapted beautifully to a takeout model. When I go pick up our orders there I see all the bags lined up for takeout. Their kitchen is busy as ever.

We’ve also done Omakase at Osawa on multiple occasions. Same thing, when I pick up there are usually a dozen bags sitting on the table for pick-up. Same thing with Bestia and Babel which we did for my gf’s birthday and anniversary.

Earlier this week we preordered a brisket dinner for hannukah on Friday night from one of our favorite Jewish restaurants that’s been closed since mid-March because they’re in a strip mall and had no outdoor dining area. I’m stocked they’re back and couldnt be happier to support them right now. They sold out 4 days of their Hanukkah meals in hours. I’m hoping that this marks their return to takeout.

Not saying that these places and their staffs don’t have their hardships. Maybe it’s different wherever you live. But here in LA there are plenty of mid-to-high end places that are more than getting by given the shitty circumstances.

Reactions: CutnSnip

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not entirely true. While we’ve been cooking at home a lot more than ever before we’ve still made it a point to order take out. Sure most of the takeout we do tends to be more modest takeout friendly fare but we have a date night every week or two where we will order in from good local “mid-to-high end restaurants” in the area we like to support. Hippo in highland park is one of our favorites. We’ve been going regularly since opening night and they’ve adapted beautifully to a takeout model. When I go pick up our orders there I see all the bags lined up for takeout. Their kitchen is busy as ever.

We’ve also done Omakase at Osawa on multiple occasions. Same thing, when I pick up there are usually a dozen bags sitting on the table for pick-up. Same thing with Bestia and Babel which we did for my gf’s birthday and anniversary.

Earlier this week we preordered a brisket dinner for hannukah on Friday night from one of our favorite Jewish restaurants that’s been closed since mid-March because they’re in a strip mall and had no outdoor dining area. I’m stocked they’re back and couldnt be happier to support them right now. They sold out 4 days of their Hanukkah meals in hours. I’m hoping that this marks their return to takeout.

Not saying that these places and their staffs don’t have their hardships. Maybe it’s different wherever you live. But here in LA there are plenty of mid-to-high end places that are more than getting by given the shitty circumstances.
Of course they are still doing business. Although I highly doubt that they are putting out the kind of volume that they would normally do, or at the very least they are likely not able to maintain the staffing levels. The higher end the restaurant, the more staffing you need to maintain the “experience”, which is mostly useless when doing takeout. Meanwhile, midrange and QSR can pivot much easier without dropping staff.

Plus restaurants make a lot of money off of alcohol, especially wine and cocktails, which has mostly dried up. Which also hurts the people who produce and distribute the alcohol.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Of course they are still doing business. Although I highly doubt that they are putting out the kind of volume that they would normally do, or at the very least they are likely not able to maintain the staffing levels. The higher end the restaurant, the more staffing you need to maintain the “experience”, which is mostly useless when doing takeout. Meanwhile, midrange and QSR can pivot much easier without dropping staff.

Plus restaurants make a lot of money off of alcohol, especially wine and cocktails, which has mostly dried up. Which also hurts the people who produce and distribute the alcohol.

Sure, most businesses are taking a hit of some sort. I took a huge loss this year myself. It's an unfortunate reality of the times.

But most mid/high-end places that I frequent have remained open. Some pivoting better than others. The few in my area that have shuttered never really made an attempt to pivot. What happened to "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" and the "free market"?

Edit: I am also well aware of the moving target that business owners have been trying to meet to stay open, sometimes at significant cost. It sucks big time. And I'm a firm believer that a relief bill needs to be passed that targets the service sector of our economy. People are still spending on goods. But the service industry as a whole is suffering and thats where our relief needs to be directed. And not just to business owners but also to their staff, many of whom are working off the books. That is a huge challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: plasticbertrand

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Sure, most businesses are taking a hit of some sort. I took a huge loss this year myself. It's an unfortunate reality of the times.

But most mid/high-end places that I frequent have remained open. Some pivoting better than others. The few in my area that have shuttered never really made an attempt to pivot. What happened to "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" and the "free market"?
Most restaurants have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Doesn't help the laid off staff, linen companies, alcohol distributors, etc who are losing business that cannot be made up later with "pent up demand".

A free market, by definition, is when you are able to do business at full capacity without 2 hands tied your back and an everchanging landscape of asinine regulations and moving goalposts, and customers who are allowed to patronize your business on mutually agreed upon terms.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Most restaurants have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Doesn't help the laid off staff, linen companies, alcohol distributors, etc who are losing business that cannot be made up later with "pent up demand".

A free market, by definition, is when you are able to do business at full capacity without 2 hands tied your back and an everchanging landscape of asinine regulations and moving goalposts, and customers who are allowed to patronize your business on mutually agreed upon terms.
agree

how did we end up with County Health Officers being the ones to say when businesses must close. Up here in SFBay we have something like 27% ICU capacity. So even if I bought into Emperor Newsom's latest edict (I don't) we wouldn't need to adhere to the new, new, new standard for a while.

But no, the county health officers have deemed that we need to get into the new restrictions early.

There's no state plan for increasing unemployment or providing stimulus checks as far as I know?

Definitely nothing approved at the Federal level either.

So if you are deemed non essential, GET FCUKED, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
agree

how did we end up with County Health Officers being the ones to say when businesses must close. Up here in SFBay we have something like 27% ICU capacity. So even if I bought into Emperor Newsom's latest edict (I don't) we wouldn't need to adhere to the new, new, new standard for a while.

But no, the county health officers have deemed that we need to get into the new restrictions early.

There's no state plan for increasing unemployment or providing stimulus checks as far as I know?

Definitely nothing approved at the Federal level either.

So if you are deemed non essential, GET FCUKED, MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Basically. Plus businesses are forced to play along and lose money from rules that have literally zero bearing in science in the context of what we now know. We know that the virus does not survive on surfaces or outdoors, yet no more outdoor dining.

Hotels are also required to have 48 hours between guests in each room, no matter how well they sanitize and clean anything. So, how exactly do you get Covid from a hotel room?

Reactions: the janitor

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
In and Out is killing it right now. I couldn't believe how long the drive up lines were the other day. It was like Space Mountain at Disneyland but with cars.