Go Michigan!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I thought the southern states were in the lead for the 2020 Darwin Awards but then here comes Michigan on the back stretch
How in the fuck is a 1-2%, probably maximum, chance of death not worth risking in the face of guaranteed homelessness?

I mean the choices appear to be risk death, or make decisions that make the rest of your life not worth living. They can wish they were bold enough to protest now, or wish they had the balls to kill themselves so they didn't have to pick up the pieces of their lives on the side of a fucking street with zero employment prospects.

JFC you libtards sound like Jesus Freak pro lifers with this sacred human life one death is too many retarded horseshit.

Nothing on this earth is cheaper than human life.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm seeing two camps starting to develop.

Those who can afford to ride this out until a supposed vaccine arrives
And those who can't.
I think there are people who can afford it, but don't want to bear it

the more data that we are able to analyze, the more it looks like we could/should
ease some of the current restrictions we're seeing here in california

Reactions: laidback

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Reactions: PRCD

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Here you go Hal:

82% of the tax benefits go to people earning over 1 million dollars.

Nobody, I mean abso-fucking-lutely nobody, is going to do jack sh!t for lower-middle/working class people with the GOP running the country. You've Nancy, some Governors, and the Mayors. That's it. Everyone else is out to get their plutocrat on.
I like the idea of someone putting out a list of names and addresses for those already-exceedingly rich getting richer who are likely far less essential than the average restaurant dishwasher.

Just so long as people remember to social distance as they are sacking, pillaging, drawing, and quartering.

Reactions: retodd

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like the idea of someone putting out a list of names and addresses for those already-exceedingly rich getting richer who are likely far less essential than the average restaurant dishwasher.

Just so long as people remember to social distance as they are sacking, pillaging, drawing, and quartering.
Seize all their sh!t, give them about $150 in cash and an old suitcase and a laundry hamper with the clothes they can fit, and a car with a blue book value of about $4k.

I want to see the look on Richard Burr's face when the cops tell him his registration is expired, or his insurance is expired, and they impound his fckn car and now he doesn't even have a locked car door keeping him safe, warm, and dry.

I want a newly homeless Kelly Loeffler's days to consist of disgusted looks from the populace, and her nights to consist of quiet, lonely terror between rapings.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Here you go Hal:

82% of the tax benefits go to people earning over 1 million dollars.

Nobody, I mean abso-fucking-lutely nobody, is going to do jack sh!t for lower-middle/working class people with the GOP running the country. You've Nancy, some Governors, and the Mayors. That's it. Everyone else is out to get their plutocrat on.
So......the best strategy the GOP has to pwn the libs right now: lead their base into mass starvation and homelessness when they could have avoided it by taking early, proactive measures like halting air travel and aggressive testing and contact tracing.

Brilliant strategy, GOP......brilliant.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Seize all their sh!t, give them about $150 in cash and an old suitcase and a laundry hamper with the clothes they can fit, and a car with a blue book value of about $4k.

I want to see the look on Richard Burr's face when the cops tell him his registration is expired, or his insurance is expired, and they impound his fckn car and now he doesn't even have a locked car door keeping him safe, warm, and dry.

I want a newly homeless Kelly Loeffler's days to consist of disgusted looks from the populace, and her nights to consist of quiet, lonely terror between rapings.
Combine that with eliminating the black hole of military waste (F-35, I'm looking at you) I bet we could pay off the national debt in whole with plenty left over for a fat stimulus for the people who need it.

Olivia Jade may have to settle for SDSU. The heartbreak.

Reactions: Aruka

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The question ultimately comes down to the limitations of government; how far can government go to support an unproductive populace? The money already spent has a long term cost to the general economy. We've already scavenged a lot of future economic viability.

The criticism of subsidizing employers so they can survive long enough to provide employment to their workers when this is over is obviously a serious question, but if the alternative is to allow those employers and that employment to permanently fail then that's how you end up multiplying the size of the permanently unemployed.

Conversely, not feeding the masses for the duration doesn't work at all, either. But if the big employers are allowed to permanently fail the food riots we fear could become a regular thing over the long term, not just the short term. Apple and Google and Twitter don't sell any of the necessities for human survival. Those workers who think they're immune from an economic shutdown may still have employment but that employment won't last forever if their customer base declines due to widespread and permanent unemployment. Government workers - including the military - might have employment now, but that's also ultimately dependent on a functional general economy which is generating tax revenues. Local governments have furloughed and laid off and reduced their payrolls before due to fiscal restraints, so it can happen even at the federal level.

Sorry, but there is a cost vs benefits compromise to be struck here, and the sentiment that "money is no object" isn't one of the alternatives.

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'll rephrase in another way. Government has the power to reduce maximum speed limits on every highway in America to 30mph, and doing so would undoubtably save human lives. In fact, freeway speeds here used to be capped at 55mph. But now they're not. So the obvious question as it relates to this current situation is - how did those lower limits get reversed? If every life is precious above all then why did govt change it's mind?

The answer is obviously that a different balance between the costs vs the benefits was struck; one that placed less weight on the benefits (saving lives on the highway) and more weight on productivity and convenience. The change to the 55mph maximum that had previously occurred happened the same way except that the choices were different.

So don't say we don't make such compromises between the value of every human life vs these other considerations. We do. Don't say it's criminal or immoral or evil to make such compromises. It isn't.

Reactions: laidback

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So......the best strategy the GOP has to pwn the libs right now: lead their base into mass starvation and homelessness when they could have avoided it by taking early, proactive measures like halting air travel and aggressive testing and contact tracing.

Brilliant strategy, GOP......brilliant.
IMHO the Center-Left listening to virus experts who have the blinders on because that's their field/job are the ones leading us to mass starvation and homelessness.

The GOP wants to win the election and protect the economic power of the donor class. I think risking death is the smart play; dead people don't vote; the survivors will be glad they kept their jobs and recreation.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The question ultimately comes down to the limitations of government; how far can government go to support an unproductive populace? The money already spent has a long term cost to the general economy. We've already scavenged a lot of future economic viability.

The criticism of subsidizing employers so they can survive long enough to provide employment to their workers when this is over is obviously a serious question, but if the alternative is to allow those employers and that employment to permanently fail then that's how you end up multiplying the size of the permanently unemployed.

Conversely, not feeding the masses for the duration doesn't work at all, either. But if the big employers are allowed to permanently fail the food riots we fear could become a regular thing over the long term, not just the short term. Apple and Google and Twitter don't sell any of the necessities for human survival. Those workers who think they're immune from an economic shutdown may still have employment but that employment won't last forever if their customer base declines due to widespread and permanent unemployment. Government workers - including the military - might have employment now, but that's also ultimately dependent on a functional general economy which is generating tax revenues. Local governments have furloughed and laid off and reduced their payrolls before due to fiscal restraints, so it can happen even at the federal level.

Sorry, but there is a cost vs benefits compromise to be struck here, and the sentiment that "money is no object" isn't one of the alternatives.

Nailed it.

Many people do not seem to understand this.

Even when epidemiologists are saying it.

Reactions: Ifallalot