Gnarly California rains

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Icu812 said:
13" since Friday here...thought it was a big deal when the S. Fork of the Eel at Miranda hit 36,000cfs...it's at 78,600 now...there were...were...some 'green' houses along the Eel in Phillipsville, they're long gone.
The Eel River, Ferndale Bottoms:
(photo by Caleb Lesher)
winter is back! Do you fly that into BRC?

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Farther inland, Mammoth got 15 feet of snow this week (with a lot more coming) and reportedly boasts the "deepest snowpack in North America."

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/11/mammoth-mountain-has-deepest-base-of-snow-in-north-america/

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
Mr Doof said:
ratfink said:
Ya'll stay safe out there. Turn around, don't drown.

My son-in-law downing a weakened redwood in the Santa Cruz Mountains after the tree next to it had already fallen and blocked the driveway....100'+
Dat boy has giant cajones....

I see what looks like a cheat in this photo.

- Pretend lumberjack out
cheat? praytell....

video... https://www.facebook.com/BoydRyanm/videos/10212257405138978/

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
the janitor said:
Icu812 said:
13" since Friday here...thought it was a big deal when the S. Fork of the Eel at Miranda hit 36,000cfs...it's at 78,600 now...there were...were...some 'green' houses along the Eel in Phillipsville, they're long gone.
The Eel River, Ferndale Bottoms:
(photo by Caleb Lesher)
Nah, not my plane...flew in in my old 182...
sunrise:
]

winter is back! Do you fly that into BRC?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
StuAzole said:
grapedrink said:
Cal guv and water officials won't know what to do with themselves if this keeps up.
Sure they do. They will declare the drought "over" and shelve all plans and ideas for additional water infrastructure such as storage and desalinization, then spend on the money on bullet trains instead :toilet:
so true. There's never been a shortage of water in CA, just an inability to properly capture and retain what we have.
I agree we just need more storage capacity to deal with our recent millions of peoples growth. But, with the power and control the "drought" brings to state guv and its water barons, they will figure out some way to keep water prices high and conservation at ever stringent levels. Too much "revenue" to be made with a constant drought mentality. They will blame Global Warming, uhhh Climate Change as the reason we'll need constant "vigilance". Mark my words.

They will soak California for the Bullshit train with many other taxes and fees. Or, it will die half way to Fresno.

stptchnstf

Michael Peterson status
Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
we should have set fire to all of the alfalfa in the state while it was still nice and dry. then what water we have been getting would be more able to go around.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
http://ktla.com/2017/01/11/concrete-patio-threatening-to-fall-from-home-down-rain-soaked-hollywood-hills-slope/

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ratfink said:
Mr Doof said:
ratfink said:
Ya'll stay safe out there. Turn around, don't drown.

My son-in-law downing a weakened redwood in the Santa Cruz Mountains after the tree next to it had already fallen and blocked the driveway....100'+
Dat boy has giant cajones....

I see what looks like a cheat in this photo.

- Pretend lumberjack out
cheat? praytell....

video... https://www.facebook.com/BoydRyanm/videos/10212257405138978/

Cable being used to direct treefall.

"Real" lumberjacks can set a tree down between home and car with just a few cuts and no cables....you know, like these guys...

PS
It should be noted that I signed it off as Pretend Lumberjack because 1) I am not one and 2) just funning and not being serious

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Surfdog said:
StuAzole said:
grapedrink said:
Cal guv and water officials won't know what to do with themselves if this keeps up.
Sure they do. They will declare the drought "over" and shelve all plans and ideas for additional water infrastructure such as storage and desalinization, then spend on the money on bullet trains instead :toilet:
so true. There's never been a shortage of water in CA, just an inability to properly capture and retain what we have.
I agree disagree, we just need more storage capacity to limit urban sprawl and price water sent to desert climates appropriately to deal with our recent millions of peoples growth. But, with the power and control the "drought" brings to state guv and its water barons, they will figure out some way to keep water prices high artificially and crazily low and conservation at ever stringent more arbitrary levels. Too much "revenue" to be made with a constant drought population growth mentality. They will blame Global Warming, uhhh Climate Change tout a moderate climate and lots of jobs as the reason we'll need constant "vigilance" growth. Mark my words.

They will soak California for the Bullshit train with many other taxes and fees. Or, it will die half way to Fresno, in a collapsed acquifer.
fixed :monkey:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
It's raining inside my apartment. :cussing:

Maybe I should have gotten over my hatred/fear of my building's management and had them fix the windows, but who knew water was going to fall from the sky? :shrug: :bricks:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the janitor said:
Surfdog said:
StuAzole said:
grapedrink said:
I agree disagree, we just need more storage capacity to limit urban sprawl and price water sent to desert climates appropriately to deal with our recent millions of peoples growth. But, with the power and control the "drought" brings to state guv and its water barons, they will figure out some way to keep water prices high artificially and crazily low and conservation at ever stringent more arbitrary levels. Too much "revenue" to be made with a constant drought population growth mentality. They will blame Global Warming, uhhh Climate Change tout a moderate climate and lots of jobs as the reason we'll need constant "vigilance" growth. Mark my words.

They will soak California for the Bullshit train with many other taxes and fees. Or, it will die half way to Fresno, in a collapsed acquifer.
Nailed it.

West of the Mississippi is arid. Period.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
the janitor said:

fixed :monkey: [/quote]

That's pretty much 110% spot on FTW.

collapsed Fresno acquifer ... :roflmao:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Witchipoo said:
It's raining inside my apartment. :cussing:

Maybe I should have gotten over my hatred/fear of my building's management and had them fix the windows, but who knew water was going to fall from the sky? :shrug: :bricks:
youre not alone. ignored some stuff earlier - said no way its gonna rain again. :socrazy:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
the janitor said:
Surfdog said:
StuAzole said:
grapedrink said:

:bowdown:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Repair most of the roof in 2012. Didn't rain much that season.

Repaired the chimney cap in 14. Didn't rain much that season.

Repaired front decorative tile that sits on top of about 3 feet of roofline in 15. Didn't rain much that season.

All that money and no rain? Grrrrr!

But now that it had rained, am digging my preventative maintenance.

Now to pay for new front steps in 2017......

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
In the past, the West side of our house would flood into the garage during continuous heavy rain events. So last summer I installed gutters the length of the roof line, with a the drain emptying down our driveway. What a glorious site to see that water drain away from the house instead of into the garage. :applause2: Now why the frack didn't I do it on the East side? :foreheadslap: