Gnarly California rains

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
Ya'll stay safe out there. Turn around, don't drown.

My son-in-law downing a weakened redwood in the Santa Cruz Mountains after the tree next to it had already fallen and blocked the driveway....100'+
Dat boy has giant cajones....

sludgey rivermouth working with 10 people....I'd pass

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
oh Man They must have put you on nuclear antibiotics .. doesn't sound fun at all

I got really bad Staph one time and learned my lesson !

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ratfink said:

My son-in-law downing a weakened redwood in the Santa Cruz Mountains after the tree next to it had already fallen and blocked the driveway....100'+

Gold raincoat in heavy showers? Is that some sort of Trump joke?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Highway 1 is closed right now north of ragged point to big sur due to a mudslide and downed power lines. Apparently due to a burn scar from the recent fires. Double suck.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I was waiting to hear about the CenCal Hwy 1 closures and landslides any day now. These rain onslaughts bring back memories of the REAL winters we used to have in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Too bad they're more of a cut-off low variety, instead of the true Pineapple Express fronts with strong SW-WSW winds and epic swell directions with them.

These are more like loaded Pineapple trolleys. All rain/snow (at high elevations) and not much core strength. Great for our drought. Hopefully winters like these will continue and ALL reservoirs will top off. Cal guv and water officials won't know what to do with themselves if this keeps up.

It was only a matter of time for them to come around again.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
13" since Friday here...thought it was a big deal when the S. Fork of the Eel at Miranda hit 36,000cfs...it's at 78,600 now...there were...were...some 'green' houses along the Eel in Phillipsville, they're long gone.
The Eel River, Ferndale Bottoms:
(photo by Caleb Lesher)

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Icu812 said:
13" since Friday here...thought it was a big deal when the S. Fork of the Eel at Miranda hit 36,000cfs...it's at 78,600 now...there were...were...some 'green' houses along the Eel in Phillipsville, they're long gone.
The Eel River, Ferndale Bottoms:
(photo by Caleb Lesher)
Holy sh!t!

chrisolden

Miki Dora status
Sep 4, 2007
Room 429
I was in my home town of Sacto today.
American and Sacramento rivers looked like how they normally looked
during "regular" winters.
Yolo Causeway is looking like a shallow inland sea.
People drive like idiots.

stptchnstf

Michael Peterson status
Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
my windshield wipers stopped working on the 101 today, at 4:00pm. stopped dead, with the rain blasting away and everything the same shade of grey. nowhere to safely pull off, traffic rolling along like any other afternoon. :eek: quite happy to be alive and safe tonight.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
there've been showers all night here in LA. I swear Trump must be in town. :monkey:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Cal guv and water officials won't know what to do with themselves if this keeps up.
Sure they do. They will declare the drought "over" and shelve all plans and ideas for additional water infrastructure such as storage and desalinization, then spend on the money on bullet trains instead :toilet:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Highway 41 closed, Old Creek Road closed, and Highway 1 closed from Ragged Point to Big Sur.

This rain is limiting my bike commutes. :cussing: Finally rode today and had to get a ride after double flatting.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
grapedrink said:
Cal guv and water officials won't know what to do with themselves if this keeps up.
Sure they do. They will declare the drought "over" and shelve all plans and ideas for additional water infrastructure such as storage and desalinization, then spend on the money on bullet trains instead :toilet:
:roflmao: seriously

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
grapedrink said:
so true. There's never been a shortage of water in CA, just an inability to properly capture and retain what we have.

Jun 28, 2015
Santa Cruz
Ridiculous amounts of road closures in Santa Cruz County today. Sadly, ALOT of these roads will be closed for a really, really long time.

Bean Creek Road: Mile Marker: 0.94 / Tree with wires / Closed

Bear Creek Road: Mile Marker 0.2 / Slip out / Closed

Bear Creek Road: 17670 Bear Creek / Tree down with PG&E wires / Closed

Bear Creek Road: Mile Marker 4.19 and 6.25 / Tree down with wires and slide / Closed

Bear Creek Road: 14590 Bear Creek Road at Scout Ranch Road / Tree down with PGE wires / Closed

Brookwood Dr: At Fall Creek / Flooding and sand in roadway / Closed

Cabrillo College Dr: 200 ft East of Rosemary Ct . / Slip out / One lane impacted / Stop signs in place

Cement Plant Road : Cross Street 3rd / Flooding / Use alternative routes

Day Valley Road: Mile Marker 1.89 / Trees and slide / Closed

El Rancho Dr: At Carbonera / Down PG&E wires / Closed

Eureka Canyon Road: Mile Marker 3.40 / Tree on wires / Closed

Eureka Canyon Road: Mile Marker 5.0 / Tree and PG&E down in road / Closed

Glen Arbor Road: At bridge between Newell Creek Road and Quail Hollow Road / Tree falling into wires / Closed

Glen Haven Road: At Mile Marker 0.81 / Road slip out / One lane impacted / Stop signs in place

Green Valley Road: Near Hazel Dell Road / Flooded / Closed

Hazel Dell Road: 1/2 mile from Mt. Madonna Road / Flooded / Closed

Highland Way: 24900 Highlands Way / Tree down with PG&E and cable wires down / Closed

Highland Way: Mile Marker 3.49 / Rock Slide / One lane traffic

Jamison Creek Road: Mile Marker 1.09 / Mudslide with rocks, mud, trees / Closed

Jarvis Road: #280 / Washout / One lane traffic

Lompico Road: Lower Lake Blvd / Slide with trees and wires / Closed

Longridge Road: Intersection of Longridge/Stetson/Skyland Roads / Tree overhanging intersection / Closed

Mattison Lane: At Paloma Lane / Tree with wires / Closed

Mt Charlie Road: 100 Ft From Glenwood Dr. / Tree down in communication line / Closed

Murphy Crossing: Highway 129 / Flooding / Closed

Ocean St. Ext.: Mile Marker 1.03 / Trees down / Closed

Old Santa Cruz Hwy: / .25 Miles past wooden bridge / Tree Blocking Roadway / Closed

Paulsen Road: At Whiting Road / Flooding / Closed

Redwood Dr: @End County Maintenance . Slide with Trees and Wires / Closed

Redwood Lodge Rd: At Mile Marker 1.44 / Tree Down With Communication Cables / Closed

Redwood Road: MM 0.30 : Tree down with wires / Closed

N. Rodeo Gulch Road: Near Ponza Lane / Mudslides / One lane only

San Andreas Rd: #1455 San Andreas Rd / Trees Down Road Closed

Skyland Rd: below Skyland Church / Slide blocking whole road Closed

Smith Grade: Cross Street Moore Ranch / Tree blocking road / Closed

Soquel San Jose Rd: At Mile Marker 4.69 / Tree down with communication cables / Closed

Soquel San Jose Road: .10 mile north of Olsen Road at Mile Post Marker 5.4 / Road Slip Out / One Lane Impacted / Stop Signs in Place

Stetson Road: Mile Marker 0.36 / Tree with telephone cables blocking roadway / Closed

Two Bar Road: Mile Marker 2.97 / Trees down with communication lines / Closed

Upper E Zayante Road: 17515 Upper E Zayante / Large slide in roadway / Closed

Upper E. Zayante Road: Mile Marker 2.29 / Trees with wires / Closed

Upper E Zayante Road: Above Upper Ellen / Rock slide / Closed

Valencia Road: Address 531 / Tree with wires / Closed

Vine Hill Road: At Mile Marker 1.19 / Road closed for tree work / Closed

E. Zayante Road: At 13605 / Tree with wires / Closed

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ratfink said:

I see what looks like a cheat in this photo.

- Pretend lumberjack out