Firewire Sunday

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Reckon that would be the ticket so you have that extra bit of hold from the longer bases but more depth than a standard keel. Just don't have any hybrid keels on hand and so gave the flex twins a crack.
Who makes those flex fins?? I like those.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
For your weight better off with Webbers by Soar. Now NVS are selling the Webbers. Look on the collab drop down menu. The flex fins Screenshot_20211016-163720_Photos.jpgI have are sold out on the Sanctum website and they don't even show them in their fins page. They do supply them included with their long fish.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks @Retropete
I have the Soar Webber fins (twins with the flexing back keel) and I just purchased the Naked Viking Webber Quad set.

The front fins on the NVS are smaller than the Soar fins... and the rear quad fins are even smaller. The quad is a very loose ride.

Reactions: Retropete

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I came across a minty fresh 6'4" that had just been traded in and was still sitting on the scissor rack waiting for someone to scrape the wax off it before it went on the used rack at my local surf shop. The dude who traded it in was literally walking out with a new 7' Sunday as I walked in. Had a snoop around the boards in the shop and was chatting with the shop guy and asked him what was with the Sunday on the rack? Morning price for it was thrown at me and I figured I could love it long time for that price or flip it if I didn't like it and still come out with a happy ending.
Rode it first off with Asher Pacey twins. Could feel the slide and felt it needed a trailer to keep it under control. I have one of those fcs fin box adaptors so popped in a rear trailer and tried the board again. While better I was still so so about the board. It had some good speed but my timing was a little off on it. When trying to hit a close out section for example it would be a fraction late to the lip which meant the difference between coming "unstuck" and making the hit.
I even gave it a run with a powerblade (copy) as a single. That only accentuated the drift in the first part of a turn before the blade part of the fin established its hold.
Put an 8" fcs clique single and sidebites in it. Visually looked like the cluster is further back than I want it to be as a 2+1. Pic added for comparison. I've only seen it ridden with dolphin single kinds of templates so wanted to try it with the more upright clique fin instead. Hadn't tried it as the 2+1 yet. But I'd much rather have it work as a twin.
Was thinking that so far the board felt hit and miss and figured it was time to move it on rather than waste any more time on it.
Anyway I have these funky flex twins (avatar pic) which I have run in some boards and the fins have transformed them. Not every time but some.
Thought I'd rather give them a run than the 2+1 especially as the waves were really peaky 2-4' beach breaks on offer this fine and sunny Sunday morning.
Right from the first wave I knew the flex twins had come to the rescue of the board.
Gave it the drive out of the gates but with hold without any tracky feel. The beauty of these fins is the fin depth allows high lines on an open face that other shorter fins can't match. Due to the rake through the tip there's still drive and hold through turns. The board doesn't have the additional drag of the trailer fin so keeps planing better across full sections as well.
If anyone is looking at one of these and have ridden a CI biscuit it feels to me like it has biscuit dna in it but with a bit of seaside and I assume glazer as well.
View attachment 125966View attachment 125967View attachment 125968
View attachment 125965View attachment 125970
Thailand, morning price, happy ending. It works on so many levels.

Those flexers you’ve got, are they they Webbers? (Edit just saw the Webber part of the thread)
Because the huge 3 tabbers I’ve got are fire in everything. With the flex, they have the amazing ability to be whatever the board and rider need them to be. Just have to put the trailer in unusual positions (if one is called for).

If you ever get a chance to grab the S-wing 520’s in G10, they are a similar can of “surf you bastard”.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Thailand, morning price, happy ending. It works on so many levels.

Those flexers you’ve got, are they they Webbers? (Edit just saw the Webber part of the thread)
Because the huge 3 tabbers I’ve got are fire in everything. With the flex, they have the amazing ability to be whatever the board and rider need them to be. Just have to put the trailer in unusual positions (if one is called for).

If you ever get a chance to grab the S-wing 520’s in G10, they are a similar can of “surf you bastard”.
Nice info on the S wings. I've heard good things about them from JaM76. My shaper has a set I can borrow but they are the red ones and I reckon I need the purple G10's with Futures bases which are out of stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clamsmasher

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I'll borrow the red ones and give them a run in the smaller waves we have on offer now.
I'd be interested to hear how they go. I just got a new twin so i will try them in there, but the green s-wings are super flexible, you can really feel the drive down the line and through turns.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I was telling the young guy who works at my local surfshop about them after my surf. Ended up just carrying in the fish with the fins in it so he could check them out. He's keen to borrow them to give them a run in his fishbeard.
Shaper who makes lots of boards for the shop was there at the time and laughing said, "want to be wearing your clown hat when you use those fins." Not in a malicious way mind you and he went on to say that the concept made a lot of sense.
Shows the pushback against using such an unusual fin design when even shapers think they look too out there so they are always going to be a fringe design. Anyway may be able to secure a pair of the purple G10's too with a bit of luck.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
you guys are ruining the Firewire thread
:p
i'll get it back on track. so i just started learning sarboarding during the pandemic and want to shred. looking at the 6'2 or 6'4 new sweet potato. i'm worried that the 4.9 liters less vol in the 6'2 will affect my wave count so leaning more towards the 6'4. please help. asking for a fren...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i'll get it back on track. so i just started learning sarboarding during the pandemic and want to shred. looking at the 6'2 or 6'4 new sweet potato. i'm worried that the 4.9 liters less vol in the 6'2 will affect my wave count so leaning more towards the 6'4. please help. asking for a fren...
Depends on the thickness of your leash string. If you go 1/8" go 6'4" extra shred but any thing thicker go with 6'2" you well notice the extra weight.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Is your fren's name "Foam" by any chance? Asking for Rob Maccardo. ;)