Firewire Sunday

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
Saw a review of a new Machado board on UTube, Firewire Sunday. What's your take?

[ A ] Cool, might be fun.
[ B ] Sucks, not interested.
[ C ] It's a pop out... It sucks... Not interested
[ D ] No real opinion. Thus it sucks.

Take it easy.

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Rob's shortboards all have similar characteristics. This even has similarities to the creeper from back in the day. I think the review people really need to make sure they show clips of surfing - otherwise, who cares, right? So is it a 2+1 or a twin or a single? I wouldn't buy another firewire, but that is a nice shape.

Reactions: BentoBox70

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I love the Helium but got caught by a set and one dumper snapped it like a twig. My fault but still expected it to be more durable.

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
I choose D. Hard to imagine this tiny sample board scaled up to the typical Firewire 6'7" that fit me and my fellow VALs :loser:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The sunday is not my cup of tea. But looks like it could be fun if sized small and ridden as a twin.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m wondering when Rob will loose his street cred.

I don’t know I’ve seen any glazers in my neck of the woods, and the go fish and seasides have seemingly been retired or sold off, too.

Next he will come out with ebike+trailer. I’ll admit his buggy setup is quite cool, and many will copy it. They did with his rust bucket van, anyways.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I’m wondering when Rob will loose his street cred.
I didn't know he had any since The Grifter.

The guy sold his face to a fvckin' bank in Encinitas for chrissakes...

I don’t know I’ve seen any glazers in my neck of the woods, and the go fish and seasides have seemingly been retired or sold off, too.
I've seen a lot of his regular boards and Firewire boards at....SEASIDE. Of course.

• Haha
Reactions: BentoBox70

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, the bank is a total sellout. I'm sure he got a small piece of ownership that will pay off if/when it gets bought by a bigger regional bank. Not to be cynical, but... dude's a frickin genius at marketing himself since the Drifter. Now he takes existing models Seaside & Glazer and stretches em out to sell them to the midlength crowd. Diabolical.
Like Tomo taking the nose off a Sci-Fi and tweaking it ever so slightly -> Cymatic, then putting the nose back on -> Sci-Fi 2.0
You can sell the same board to a customer 3x! Diabolical.
These guys playing 3-D chess while everyone else is checkers

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Frickin genius. Take existing models Seaside and Glazer and stretch em out to sell them to the midlength crowd. Diabolical.
Like Tomo taking the nose off a Sci-Fi and tweaking it ever so slightly -> Cymatic, then putting the nose back on -> Sci-Fi 2.0
You can sell the same board to a customer 3x!
Tomo was commissioned to create the Sci-fi for Kelly's new line of boards "Slater Designs". But... Tomo was still developing and testing the QISC on that bat tail design and hadn't gotten it to full development stage. So he released the Sci-fi with the QISC only in the tail area.

The Cymatic was an evolution of the SP2 and had a completely different look and feel of the Sci-fi.

The Sci-fi 2.0 (in my opinion) was sort of like a do-over on the original Sci-fi and allowed Tomo to add things he probably wasnt able to add to the original design. It just so happens that the Sci-fi 2.0 felt A LOT like the Cymatic.

Either way... every shaper refines their designs and makes new models based on previous models. Sub-driver is a good example... the happy... the dominator.... etc.

Reactions: JTiago

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Tomo was commissioned to create the Sci-fi for Kelly's new line of boards "Slater Designs". But... Tomo was still developing and testing the QISC on that bat tail design and hadn't gotten it to full development stage. So he released the Sci-fi with the QISC only in the tail area.

The Cymatic was an evolution of the SP2 and had a completely different look and feel of the Sci-fi.

The Sci-fi 2.0 (in my opinion) was sort of like a do-over on the original Sci-fi and allowed Tomo to add things he probably wasnt able to add to the original design. It just so happens that the Sci-fi 2.0 felt A LOT like the Cymatic.

Either way... every shaper refines their designs and makes new models based on previous models. Sub-driver is a good example... the happy... the dominator.... etc.
Way to ruin comedy there Frosty! :D