Firewire Sunday

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA

Like Tomo taking the nose off a Sci-Fi and tweaking it ever so slightly -> Cymatic, then putting the nose back on -> Sci-Fi 2.0
You can sell the same board to a customer 3x! Diabolical.
These guys playing 3-D chess while everyone else is checkers
Hahaha. So true.

Likely the Cymatic will be rebranded the EVO 2.0

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Naaaa... If I go midlenght, I pretend the whole hip package: mysto shaper, handmade, resin tints, penciled logo, mandalas or Fibonacci graphic inspiration, the works. Maybe a liposuction and hair extension/transplant for me included in the package. :roflmao:
Dude. Don’t have a midlength crisis. Don’t give up yet. You’re still young!

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and andywaxer

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I think I saw one of these while I was checking the north end of OB Monday. Dude looked like Neal Salsa and had a short one set up as a twin fin. Waves were too big for this kind of board. The whole tableau was silly.

Oh, and evidence of an actual shaping bay here:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Naaaa... If I go midlenght, I pretend the whole hip package: mysto shaper, handmade, resin tints, penciled logo, mandalas or Fibonacci graphic inspiration, the works. Maybe a liposuction and hair extension/transplant for me included in the package. :roflmao:
Dont forget the handlebar mustache

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and andywaxer

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Bro it sounds like you need to let go of fear & doubt & remain still observe refresh & let it unfold - be brave & confident - mature & patient able to transform into a new future upgraded version.
My head might pop

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Aruka

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Clearly you didn’t see his go fish/seaside asym mashup.

http://instagr.am/p/COQ6KQjDz-v/
How prophetic was this post....sdsrfr predicting the advent of the Mashup? Was Rob lurking here back then and when he finished his new board thought...."hmmm, what can we call this new collab board with Dan? Oh, I know...the ERBB'ers came up with a good name."

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I came across a minty fresh 6'4" that had just been traded in and was still sitting on the scissor rack waiting for someone to scrape the wax off it before it went on the used rack at my local surf shop. The dude who traded it in was literally walking out with a new 7' Sunday as I walked in. Had a snoop around the boards in the shop and was chatting with the shop guy and asked him what was with the Sunday on the rack? Morning price for it was thrown at me and I figured I could love it long time for that price or flip it if I didn't like it and still come out with a happy ending.
Rode it first off with Asher Pacey twins. Could feel the slide and felt it needed a trailer to keep it under control. I have one of those fcs fin box adaptors so popped in a rear trailer and tried the board again. While better I was still so so about the board. It had some good speed but my timing was a little off on it. When trying to hit a close out section for example it would be a fraction late to the lip which meant the difference between coming "unstuck" and making the hit.
I even gave it a run with a powerblade (copy) as a single. That only accentuated the drift in the first part of a turn before the blade part of the fin established its hold.
Put an 8" fcs clique single and sidebites in it. Visually looked like the cluster is further back than I want it to be as a 2+1. Pic added for comparison. I've only seen it ridden with dolphin single kinds of templates so wanted to try it with the more upright clique fin instead. Hadn't tried it as the 2+1 yet. But I'd much rather have it work as a twin.
Was thinking that so far the board felt hit and miss and figured it was time to move it on rather than waste any more time on it.
Anyway I have these funky flex twins (avatar pic) which I have run in some boards and the fins have transformed them. Not every time but some.
Thought I'd rather give them a run than the 2+1 especially as the waves were really peaky 2-4' beach breaks on offer this fine and sunny Sunday morning.
Right from the first wave I knew the flex twins had come to the rescue of the board.
Gave it the drive out of the gates but with hold without any tracky feel. The beauty of these fins is the fin depth allows high lines on an open face that other shorter fins can't match. Due to the rake through the tip there's still drive and hold through turns. The board doesn't have the additional drag of the trailer fin so keeps planing better across full sections as well.
If anyone is looking at one of these and have ridden a CI biscuit it feels to me like it has biscuit dna in it but with a bit of seaside and I assume glazer as well.
IMG_20220313_082410_HDR.jpgIMG_20220313_082403_HDR.jpgIMG_20220312_092359_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220312_095024_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220310_083707_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I like the Britt Merrick twins (upright/keel hybrid) on the 6’ Sunday that I have. Rode it in a variety of waves and never felt like it needed a trailer, though I’ve only ridden in once in overhead conditions. It was a sucky winter in Southern Californi.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I like the Britt Merrick twins (upright/keel hybrid) on the 6’ Sunday that I have. Rode it in a variety of waves and never felt like it needed a trailer, though I’ve only ridden in once in overhead conditions. It was a sucky winter in Southern Californi.
Reckon that would be the ticket so you have that extra bit of hold from the longer bases but more depth than a standard keel. Just don't have any hybrid keels on hand and so gave the flex twins a crack.