donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
i will learn something from this thread! :jamon:

interesting to read labels and see what the
ingredients are...

i was in a latin market up by my friend’s place
last week and was checking out a LARGE bottle of some stuff made in mex that looked good - like higher viscosity than like watery tabsco... but i got sidetracked and didn’t buy it. a brand i never heard of, but no sodium benzoate, salpeter, prestone, etc. listed on the label...

maybe report next week - i don’t know sh!t tho...

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
My secretary gave me a six pack of small hot sauce bottles for Christmas last year. One of them, called "Incan Heat" was epic. I cannot find it again, in larger quantities. After that, the Mexican hot sauces El Yucateco-both the green and red habanero are really good- and another from Mexico-Valentina is really good.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
These cover most of my needs...

702901F5-7232-4B69-866B-1C06AE7134B7.jpeg

Not pictured is an outrageously good but not overwhelmingly hot Fermented Serrano Hot Sauce that my local gourmet shop makes. I just finished my second bottle of the pandemic. Need to re-up.

Reactions: enframed

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

Tia Lupitas tastes like a non-toxic version of Taco Bell "fire sauce."

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Tapatio
Rooster
Homemade chili peppah watah :shaka:
Homemade salsa verde

Heat not my thing, just like the flavor.

Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
Seconding Marie Sharp's. The Carrot Habañero is fantastic.

Also, hot sauce is pretty fun to make- if a little time-consuming, but really easy.

Get a bunch of peppers of your preferred heat level. I dig Habañero, but Serrano is great for less heat.

Mash them up and put them in one of those gasket, spring top mason jars with a little bit of water. There should be enough ambient yeast on the peppers to ferment, but if you don't see bubbles after a day or so, leave the top open until you do. Keep it out of the sun, but room temp. If you put it in the fridge it will take a long time. Close it up once it's bubbling, and burp it every morning. Once the bubbles subside, add some pureed garlic, and mango or carrot, plus a pinch or two of salt and a reasonable amount of good white vinegar to taste. Let it mellow for a few days, and you have A+ hot sauce. If you don't like chunks and seeds, run it through a mesh sieve and bottle it. Keeps pretty much indefinitely in the fridge. Makes a good Christmas gift too.

Reactions: Aruka