EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The last board I bought the shaper was like "Can you venmo me the cost?". LMFAO. I did do venmo and it came out fine. But, what if it didn't? I'd be stuck eating the cost if the shaper didn't want to help. I've been going to off the rack boards and big names lately because I just don't want to deal with it anymore.
I actually just ordered a custom to replace this from Stretch.

Totally professional business from start to finish.

1- Emailed and here is your quote for the price plus shipping.
2- Design talk with Dylan and stretch
3- Final price. Deposit taken via paypal that comes with a receipt.

Never again am I just going to pay cash for a board like this.

Jan 18, 2014
What did you order?

I actually just ordered a custom to replace this from Stretch.

Totally professional business from start to finish.

1- Emailed and here is your quote for the price plus shipping.
2- Design talk with Dylan and stretch
3- Final price. Deposit taken via paypal that comes with a receipt.

Never again am I just going to pay cash for a board like this.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I wonder why he gave you that story about making you take it to a glasser. He posts up plenty of photos from one particular glass shop of finished boards and lots of those typical Instagram photos of customers with their new board.

You must not have made the bro or big name list. Even then it sounds like he directed you to the glasser or dropped the board off there. Seems he should have been able to do something about the glassing issue. Bummer all around.

I’d take him up on the offer to shape a new one and just go standard pu/pe build. Glass job should only be a few hundred bucks. Then you are not so screwed.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I wonder why he gave you that story about making you take it to a glasser. He posts up plenty of photos from one particular glass shop of finished boards and lots of those typical Instagram photos of customers with their new board.

You must not have made the bro or big name list. Even then it sounds like he directed you to the glasser or dropped the board off there. Seems he should have been able to do something about the glassing issue. Bummer all around.

I’d take him up on the offer to shape a new one and just go standard pu/pe build. Glass job should only be a few hundred bucks. Then you are not so screwed.
I’m going too.

I think it was cause he was in Hawaii and he said in Hawaii he doesn’t glass and the customer deals with glass directly

Just went to check on the board

Here’s a pic of one of the delam spots I cut open. There is multiple all over the top. This is a small one by the rails

Doesn’t even look like the blank was foam stained and he just did the color directly on top the glass?

Can’t tell if he spackled the blank but he definitely didn’t foam stain it like he said he was going too.

And if he didn’t thst would explain the poor adhesion to the blank.

You can see on the pic right about the incision all the delam area.

I cut this open like it was nothing.

Unfortunately water is all over the foam and it’s super super soft

6A2207B2-C18B-4989-AD5C-569EF466D74A.jpeg

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Here’s the board

It’s 8’0 x 24

The handle is there cause it’s EPS and the handle has a built in vent. Plus it is 24 wide so makes it easier to carry.

I got it specially for surfing in a 6 mil suit in softer waves. Figured it would be tough to surf in that thick a suit so I wanted something thicker with more volume.

Only lasted about 3 months into my 6 month work trip

View attachment 92124View attachment 92125View attachment 92126
If that's 8'x24"
you must be a giant
based on the color, I'm guessing resin/pigment contamination during the swirl mix.

Stretch knows his stuff expecially with EPS/Epoxies

nice shape reminds me of these Joe Blair style big boy speed eggs my friend uncleD/KiEnergy makes
Here's a couple.
The Andrus shaped one I bought to give to PPK as kauai omiyage
I bought the yellow EPS one in 2017 (UncleD's personal hotdogger when he was like 240)
both around 8'x23"-24"x3.25"-3.5"
Both were bought as paddle machines for the over 60 crowd

1510408_10202383856271758_1917142289_n (1).jpg

1520670_10202383856911774_637516551_n.jpg

dv2.JPG

dv7.JPG

dv1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Correct. Figure I am 225 with no wetsuit. Add a wet 6 mil suit and I’m pretty heavy.

Plus hard to move around so paddling a small
Board out the question

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’m not paying to drag this board back across the United States to get it to hawaii.

If anyone wants it free- i am in Rhode Island. PM me and I’ll arrange for you to grab it. Otherwise it’s going in the nearest dumpster

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Stop being a nice guy ( I know where you're coming from) but it's about time you named and shamed.
Gary Mcneill was outed on here for not sorting out freight damage and this is not even involving a third party.
I would have stopped being a nice guy a long time ago if this was me. Not only would I blast them on social media, I'd also take them to small claims court. Wouldn't even care if I lose. I'd get satisfaction knowing they had to deal with it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I would have stopped being a nice guy a long time ago if this was me. Not only would I blast them on social media, I'd also take them to small claims court. Wouldn't even care if I lose. I'd get satisfaction knowing they had to deal with it.
Actually not a bad idea.

The social media thing I prob won’t do

But small claims court is super easy to do and is an absolute drag.

But I’m just gonna move on and throw the board and let it go. Not worth my effort

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: npsp and Lowqi2

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
You need to out the glass shop. They straight out ripped you off. They gouged the crap out you on price and did crap job that failed. Now you're going to stand by and let them do it to another hapless soul?
Outfits that operate in this manner need to be called out publicly and made to bear the brunt of the backlash that will come their way.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I’m going too.

I think it was cause he was in Hawaii and he said in Hawaii he doesn’t glass and the customer deals with glass directly

Just went to check on the board

Here’s a pic of one of the delam spots I cut open. There is multiple all over the top. This is a small one by the rails

Doesn’t even look like the blank was foam stained and he just did the color directly on top the glass?

Can’t tell if he spackled the blank but he definitely didn’t foam stain it like he said he was going too.

And if he didn’t thst would explain the poor adhesion to the blank.

You can see on the pic right about the incision all the delam area.

I cut this open like it was nothing.

Unfortunately water is all over the foam and it’s super super soft

View attachment 92136
TO ME it looks like a pigmented lam where the color is in the lam. In a foam tint the "texture" of the color looks like foam and the clear lamination over it basically disappears. There's no weave to the color. A foam tint on an EPS blank would look like EPS beads, even if there was a light spackle to seal.

On your board that pic of the frayed freelap on the bottom would be clear, not colored, the sanded edge would just look rough instead of a muted shade of the color.

I don't do opaques in epoxy because you're adding so much pigment that, IMO, it gets into the mix ratio and degrades the strength of the glass job. I also prefer to incorporate the imperfections in the blank into the look so it doesn't come out looking like it was painted by an auto body shop (the Surftech look).

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
TO ME it looks like a pigmented lam where the color is in the lam. In a foam tint the "texture" of the color looks like foam and the clear lamination over it basically disappears. There's no weave to the color. A foam tint on an EPS blank would look like EPS beads, even if there was a light spackle to seal.

On your board that pic of the frayed freelap on the bottom would be clear, not colored, the sanded edge would just look rough instead of a muted shade of the color.

I don't do opaques in epoxy because you're adding so much pigment that, IMO, it gets into the mix ratio and degrades the strength of the glass job. I also prefer to incorporate the imperfections in the blank into the look so it doesn't come out looking like it was painted by an auto body shop (the Surftech look).

I managed to cut up a couple piece off the board.

You’re right.

It was tint in the resin.

But no foam stain or spackle caused zero adhesion and then there was 1000 little bubbles.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
That wasn't the problem. We figured out a long time ago that spackle wasn't necessary to get an adequate bond. Moreover, a most glassers these days use a water based spackle. And you can guess what happens to the adhesion when a water based spackle gets even a little moist. Some glassers believe that you can end up with a better adhesion by going commando, particularly if you're hitting the cloth with a lot of resin the way they do with a resin opaque.

Personally, if I spackle then I'm cutting the dry spackle mix with epoxy, not water, and waiting the extra hour for it to set up. But that's because I'm strictly a hobbyist who's on the friends/family program, so I've got more time than common sense.

In the end, the core in your board soaked a lot of water, and it might not have been due to a sander cutting into the weave. If your handle or the finbox install was leaking that would do it. A crack in one of the corners or at the nose would do it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
That wasn't the problem. We figured out a long time ago that spackle wasn't necessary to get an adequate bond. Moreover, a most glassers these days use a water based spackle. And you can guess what happens to the adhesion when a water based spackle gets even a little moist. Some glassers believe that you can end up with a better adhesion by going commando, particularly if you're hitting the cloth with a lot of resin the way they do with a resin opaque.

Personally, if I spackle then I'm cutting the dry spackle mix with epoxy, not water, and waiting the extra hour for it to set up. But that's because I'm strictly a hobbyist who's on the friends/family program, so I've got more time than common sense.

In the end, the core in your board soaked a lot of water, and it might not have been due to a sander cutting into the weave. If your handle or the finbox install was leaking that would do it. A crack in one of the corners or at the nose would do it.
There’s a bunch of little holes and bubbles on the bottom of the board. Unsure why that happened