EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I've seen burn throughs and eggshells on FW boards before. I've seen examples on HP models of most (not all) all of the retail brands, for that matter. Nowhere near the extent the OP got, but the retail boards don't necessarily have the cleanest glass jobs out there. Even on some of the heavily glassed longboards.

I'm a backyarder, so my glass jobs aren't impeccable, either. But that just means I recognize it when a laminator or sander has made the same mistake I've made.

One thing I have never done on an EPS build was use a single layer on the bottom. I always used 2 lighter weights on the bottom and at least 3 layers including the deckpatch on the deck. That way, even if I cut into the top layer the bottom layer was still intact.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Updates

Made 5 pukas into the board. The Fiberglass was so soft I just punched my awl right through it.

Could feel the soft foam and h2o under it.

But- I turned it over and it’s dripping water.

Hoping I can drip this water out over the next 4 months and cut the delam spots off the top and get it fixed. We will see. I’m hopeful and don’t wanna see anything go to trash.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
That's really bad. If its that much water you may have to surrender. When it's all soaked it's getting into the adhesive bond between the rest of the core and the exterior lamination.

You can try to drain it but the core may already be compromised beyond recovery. If you do want to drain it, open up the entire delam area now. Then use your awl to add vents to the bottom side of the board and lay the board bottom side up under a sheet out in the sun. As in tent it and create somewhat of a greenhouse effect to keep the heat in. The warmed side facing the sun will draw air in and the cool side will allow it to drain without puddling and making the delam bigger. The sheet will breathe some while blocking the UV and additional heat that the dark color would otherwise draw. If you just stuck the board out without a cover the dark lam might heat up so hot that it'll boil the water and steam more delams.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’ll try that out.

Unfortunately I think it may beyond saving.

The awl punched right through like it was a straw. Supposedly it was 6 6 S glass and this went through like nothing.

The EPS foam feels like butter and not styrofoam.

The delam area on top is huge. Like running down about 1/4 the board on both sides

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I’ll try that out.

Unfortunately I think it may beyond saving.

The awl punched right through like it was a straw. Supposedly it was 6 6 S glass and this went through like nothing.

The EPS foam feels like butter and not styrofoam.

The delam area on top is huge. Like running down about 1/4 the board on both sides
My best guess is the resin was mixed with wrong ratio. I'm sure G'Daddy has experienced this. When you open up the boar, does it have a "smell" inside? I'm not talking sea water.

Please tell us you have more boars to ride.

All that delam is cancer, just keep cutting until you find glass adhered to foam.
The effort to fix is more than the effort to make a new boar. Best use right now is for learning, i,e. make a Frankeboar.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
My guess is that it wouldn't have gone this way with a PU blank, and even if it did leak the soak would have been localized due to the closed cell structure of the foam. An EPS core with a dark lam will actually expand and contract as it heats and cools, the preferential difference possibly even being enough to force the water past a weak spot in the glass. Think of putting a dry sponge into a sink full of water - that's how an open cell foam like EPS will react to a leak.

It used to be common to use vents on EPS boards for this reason, back before the blank manufacturers got tighter foam to work with. The vents equalize the interior pressure as the board heats up and then cools. The arrow in the logo is basically pointing to the vent they used on the deck.

vent.JPG

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I think that could do it, too. When he was describing the texture as scratchy I interpreted that as an example of oversanding. Also kinda weird to see a freelap and what appears to be a cutlap on the same bottom. It definitely looks like the sander got into the edge at the rail, which you gotta be mindful of when the board has a Hawaiian style rail profile.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My guess is that it wouldn't have gone this way with a PU blank, and even if it did leak the soak would have been localized due to the closed cell structure of the foam. An EPS core with a dark lam will actually expand and contract as it heats and cools, the preferential difference possibly even being enough to force the water past a weak spot in the glass. Think of putting a dry sponge into a sink full of water - that's how an open cell foam like EPS will react to a leak.

It used to be common to use vents on EPS boards for this reason, back before the blank manufacturers got tighter foam to work with. The vents equalize the interior pressure as the board heats up and then cools. The arrow in the logo is basically pointing to the vent they used on the deck.

View attachment 92108
This actually has a vent on the deck

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
i wouldnt pay that even if it made me surf like curren, was HOT COATED by vida guerra, and finned by greg griffin!
I would have never ever ever agreed to this price

I reached out to the shaper to order a board and he told me he only shapes and I have to deal with Glasser seperate. He said the guy comes and picks up boards and he can give mine to him and then for me to call him to work out glassing.

I said “hmmmm okay, I guess.” Feeling unsure.

Problem is I’m very nice and see the good in everyone. It’s got me into trouble over the years with things such as buying cars, work on my house, etc.

So I pay 750 for the shaped blank and think that glassing is around 300-400 since that’s what my friend said it usually cost when he makes boards.

The board is 8ft so I figured it’d come out to about 1000 bucks

Glass shop owner texts me when it’s done “790.00, pick up Monday, cash only”

No receipt. Nothing. Like @Muscles said. Glass shop saw me coming from a mile away. I’m a one off non wholesale customer and they could kill me.

Had I known this board would be this expensive I’d have never ordered it.

I will never ever ever ever order a board again where there Shaper doesn’t see the board to completion.

The board on it says:

“Surfboards by xxxx. North Shore, Oahu”

It doesn’t say:

“Shapes by xxxx. North Shore, Oahu”

My fault I guess.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Glasser said I could drop it off at the shop when I get back.

I don’t even want to deal with it anymore.

Waste of my money and my time.

Got this board made to have something to surf and now I gotta go buy something else

Plus I brought the board to the mainland and now if I want them to look at it I’d have to drag it all the way back across the pond

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
not very many people can get away with those rates
you should've been able to get a brand new custom from like 90% of the builders here for $750-$850 tops
Only if you had special glassing like some exotic fiber layup or color set would glassing be that much. I only know of Jack charging near a $1000 for a glass job. And Alvin Sumida is probably just as good as are several other underground glassers.
Being able to do the whole thing is special but it's usually not the case for production operations. For small operations maybe but nit for anyone doing volume.

That's why I hate the industry, they want to be treated as professionals without acting like itl. Ever buy any expensive retail item with out a formal contract or warrantee versus a pieve of paper with scribbles on it?

What's the board look like?
you can hide the label
Interested in the shape/design you picked for a traveler to that area.
Traveling with boards suck

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
@onelua

That’s exactly why I was so shocked that the glass shop told me 790.00

I was honestly blown away and couldn’t believe it.

At that point I had no option but to pay it.

I ALMOST said F it and was going to tell the glass shop just keep it at that price and just considered eating the cost of the shaped blank.

The Glasser was most definitely not jack reeves and isn’t on the north shore.

I should have tried J Kashiwais place.

Like I said, I’m too nice to people.

I’ll go snap some pics of the board

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Here’s the board

It’s 8’0 x 24

The handle is there cause it’s EPS and the handle has a built in vent. Plus it is 24 wide so makes it easier to carry.

I got it specially for surfing in a 6 mil suit in softer waves. Figured it would be tough to surf in that thick a suit so I wanted something thicker with more volume.

Only lasted about 3 months into my 6 month work trip

BFD05D94-3CAA-4B4B-847E-43A90F560071.jpeg0AABF7EE-613E-41AE-A1BF-09DCCD69CDAA.jpegEE93E88D-7B4C-4A2B-A26E-917A6701A668.jpeg

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Stop being a nice guy ( I know where you're coming from) but it's about time you named and shamed.
Gary Mcneill was outed on here for not sorting out freight damage and this is not even involving a third party.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Stop being a nice guy ( I know where you're coming from) but it's about time you named and shamed.
Gary Mcneill was outed on here for not sorting out freight damage and this is not even involving a third party.
I get what you’re saying.

That’s just not who I am as a person.

If they don’t wanna make right or want to wait til next winter that is on them but I’m not gonna drop names and put them on blast.

I def won’t be getting anymore boards this way.

Shame too cause I wanted to get another mega length board to add to my fleet of 12 ft boards.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
That's why I hate the industry, they want to be treated as professionals without acting like itl. Ever buy any expensive retail item with out a formal contract or warrantee versus a pieve of paper with scribbles on it?
The last board I bought the shaper was like "Can you venmo me the cost?". LMFAO. I did do venmo and it came out fine. But, what if it didn't? I'd be stuck eating the cost if the shaper didn't want to help. I've been going to off the rack boards and big names lately because I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Yeah I hear you on that. As I said I'm the same way. I can still hear the echoes of " grab your torches and pichforks" from the Mcneill thread and this appears a cut and dried case (pardon the pun in these circumstances).

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yeah I hear you on that. As I said I'm the same way. I can still hear the echoes of " grab your torches and pichforks" from the Mcneill thread and this appears a cut and dried case (pardon the pun in these circumstances).
Lol. That "cut and dry" thing had me chuckling good.