Endtimes for the Surfboard Industry?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Used board prices for everything but the trendy boards seem to be down 30%+, more than the standard winter drop.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I took it as an umbrella term to mean eps/epoxy builds by old mate since he's championing pu/poly in the flex argument.
Strangely enough up popped this flex article...though its actually really breakage resistance rather than about active flex when surfing.
sandwich construction means that skin consisting of a stack of fibre/resin laminate, lightweight thicker skin a few mm thick, then another fibre laminate. I think @One-Off 's builds are sandwich. The resin usually is epoxy and the blank EPS

Surfing scientist Benjamin Thompson, classified another build category called "composite", which is simply the combination of more than one fibre type in the laminate - the idea being that the properties of one fibre type is complemented by the different properties of another to overall get a superior result than just one of the fibre types alone. Glass usually finds its way into the fibre mix because it sands well. JS hifi certainly looks composite - has a carbon strip and appears to have a diagnonal net of some fibre - I don't know what that net is - maybe innegra or nylon. Libtech looks composite - my guess is the core is expanded polypropylene because they were attempting to make something durable and there are lots of complaints on the erBB about them feeling dead and heavy.

Plain glass and epoxy on an eps core is not composite and my least favourite build - too flexy and more likely to leak and delaminate than sandwich or a good composite.

Anyone know what goes into Dark Arts - is it just carbon in which case its not composite or does it have a glass layer and/or some other fibre too? I think JJF has used Dark Arts in competition.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
They pretty much are- shaped PU blank laminated with fibreglass and PE (sometimes epoxy) resin.

Same as the man on the street gets.

You can get a pro weight glassed board from any board manufacturer in the world.

There's no special sauce for pros.

Lots of pros around here on sell their boards to rec surfers.
Yes, the man on the street can order the same lam spec as a pro (if they can out what a specific pro has). What I meant was that the PU/PE boards get special build treatment. I once examined closely a Kanoa Igarashi's discarded/donated CI T-Low. It looked lightly used, however there was one or two very deep dents in it. It was noticeably lighter than one from the shop rack. An amazing amount of work seemed to have gone into making a very fine tail rail edge. No way would that surf the same as a typical retail PU/PE.

DHD used to weigh the blank after shaping of Mick Fanning's comp boards. If it was above a certain weight it would get rejected. If the finished board was over 2.2 KG it would get rejected.

After I snapped two identical local customs, the shop said that those were in their standard grom build - single 4oz e top and bottom with v shaped heel/toe tail patch (bigger boars featured a 3/4 length patch), they suggested that my 3rd replacment should be their strong grom build. This was 4oz e top and bottom plus full length 2oz s-glass. No tail patch needed. Weight was much the same but it doesn't surf the same (stiffer)

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Mate, you can order a custom with any of those specs and get as much special build treatment as you want.

I was just in Byron, heaps of ex-pro boards for sale on the racks.

I've ridden plenty of ex-pro boards- I can't really tell the difference between them and a retail board. Most of it comes down to the subjective preferences of pros- of which a high amount would be completely psycho-somatic and not based in any material, measurable reality.

Seen enough pro discards picked up by others and shredded on/preferred to have a high degree of confidence in that assessment.

We're talking fiddly, subjective details not significant differences.

I wanna lightweight pro-style board?

Easy, the glass shop up the hill from me does DHD's and has lammed/sanded plenty of Fanning's boards- I just specify that in the order.

His dims are pretty close to mine, I could ride his boards.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
sandwich construction means that skin consisting of a stack of fibre/resin laminate, lightweight thicker skin a few mm thick, then another fibre laminate. I think @One-Off 's builds are sandwich. The resin usually is epoxy and the blank EPS

Surfing scientist Benjamin Thompson, classified another build category called "composite", which is simply the combination of more than one fibre type in the laminate - the idea being that the properties of one fibre type is complemented by the different properties of another to overall get a superior result than just one of the fibre types alone. Glass usually finds its way into the fibre mix because it sands well. JS hifi certainly looks composite - has a carbon strip and appears to have a diagnonal net of some fibre - I don't know what that net is - maybe innegra or nylon. Libtech looks composite - my guess is the core is expanded polypropylene because they were attempting to make something durable and there are lots of complaints on the erBB about them feeling dead and heavy.

Plain glass and epoxy on an eps core is not composite and my least favourite build - too flexy and more likely to leak and delaminate than sandwich or a good composite.

Anyone know what goes into Dark Arts - is it just carbon in which case its not composite or does it have a glass layer and/or some other fibre too? I think JJF has used Dark Arts in competition.
It's ok Mr J...I do know about the differences. As I said I ride lots of different builds. My rack has from left to right: eps/paulownia,cork,flax,bio resin fish. A re-cycled Marko pu foam, flax, bio resin fish. Lib tech fish. Pu/poly channel bottom. Firewire Helium 2. Lib tech midlength. Thunderbolt red mid length. Pu/poly channel bottom mid length. 2 x Lib tech mid lenghts. Not pictured is a xps foam, paulownia, cork rails and 3/4 deck pad, no resin (except to anchor fin boxes and leash plug) board. Eps/balsa, epoxy resin Burt Burger midlength. Firewire Helium 1 board. New "techno pop" build lighter weight Lib tech shortboard.
Then there's my fins if you really want to geek out on flex in them too.
IMG_1536.jpg

Reactions: Mr J and freeride76

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
It's ok Mr J...I do know about the differences. As I said I ride lots of different builds. My rack has from left to right: eps/paulownia,cork,flax,bio resin fish. A re-cycled Marko pu foam, flax, bio resin fish. Lib tech fish. Pu/poly channel bottom. Firewire Helium 2. Lib tech midlength. Thunderbolt red mid length. Pu/poly channel bottom mid length. 2 x Lib tech mid lenghts. Not pictured is a xps foam, paulownia, cork rails and 3/4 deck pad, no resin (except to anchor fin boxes and leash plug) board. Eps/balsa, epoxy resin Burt Burger midlength. Firewire Helium 1 board. New "techno pop" build lighter weight Lib tech shortboard.
View attachment 168792
which ones ur fave?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
which ones ur fave?
Waves have been crap here so there's a couple I haven't ridden yet. Then there's a few I have only ridden once or twice. If its junk Chumlee or 7' Outlier is coming out. The Wildcat and CI twin are going to be ridden a lot when its good. Love my CK Libtech 7'2" when its solid. Lost quite a bit of weight which has prompted a bit of a shuffle and relegated some while I see where I end up.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
View attachment 168792
I tried my s-wing twins today in a Twinsman. Those things fucking sucked.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here is what he wrote:

kazumasurfboardshawaii

Why do I ride stringered polyurethane blanks glassed ultra light with polyester resin? Performance.... I can have anything I want and do have everything you can imagine but always turn to the unbeatable ride quality of a well built poly board. No carbon, no fancy skins or blanks, just the time tested and time proven performance of a stringered poly board. 5.5 lbs with wax on it and the flex is amazing but the rebound is magical... To top it all off, this type of build is the absolute most consistent, most economical to build and the most foolproof to make. No special tools or hi tech machinery needed to make boards that will satisfy even the most picky of pros. I can also leave it in my car 24/7 and don't even fix my dings if I get any.... Don't like polyester resin? No problem, substitute with one of the stiffer epoxy resins on the market and get a similar feel.

Let me add one more thing: PU/PE boards are much quicker and easier to repair.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Ok, you are right. Now what.
You deform the surfboard (by how much?), and it happily flexes back and propels you along the wave with magically even more speed.
They flex a lot more than we think

I have had people tell me they could see the flex in my boar on bottom turns.

I also had the same sensation as Teeroi, about getting thrown off the boar when the board snapped back.

Skateboars are another example.

Reactions: npsp and Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
PU is the best material we have for surfboards, period.

Nothing else compares with the consistency and versatility.

Discussion about other materials providing better "performance" are irrelevant to 99% of surfers.

Nobody here surfs well enough to inch out any better "performance" from any alt materials. The one exception might be a groveler.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
520 green G10’s?
Not surprised. Those and a S wing G10 single fin are the only S wings I have not liked and sold on. The green ones didn’t work well in my shorter fish either. Fin boxes set further forward as with a long fish and they feel better.
Purple G10s.

I think they/I need a trailer.

Felt fast but would randomly disengage/reengage.

Just about blew out my knee. Trimming down the line “these fins are fucking fast” then sudden release “oh sh!t”, back leg now completely straight with knee fully locked out - hey let’s suddenly and with authority regrip. Pop.

Going to try them on my Ghost with nubs in the rear quads… :shrug:

TBH, I think they just don’t have enough surface area for the way I surf.

Also, I rode a twin keel fish the day before that just never lets go no matter how hard I push it…

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
PU is the best material we have for surfboards, period.

Nothing else compares with the consistency and versatility.

Discussion about other materials providing better "performance" are irrelevant to 99% of surfers.

Nobody here surfs well enough to inch out any better "performance" from any alt materials. The one exception might be a groveler.
Weight of a board is significantly noticeable in performance differences, more-so than materials.

“P/U” is the best material for surfboards like McDonalds is the best place for burgers. They both can serve the most people.

Reactions: Northern_Shores