Endtimes for the Surfboard Industry?

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Lighter board makes lighter swing weight for the advantage. That makes EPS builds great for bigger dudes slinging bigger boards into the lip and usually strength advantage for them too. Lighter swing is great for all in small waves. Big waves, chop, offshores is preference or tolerance of +/-s. Weighing boards not always about lightest, can also measure consistency in glassing/sanding and in dupe attempts.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm not going to give a lot away, but I have had really good results on a simple poly build using a combo of PVC stringers. My results have been replicated by a couple of others. Shapers who were playing with the concept of flex and failing or experiencing frequent breakage. I look at some of these uber complicated/expensive builds that purport to be chasing flex and I have to wonder why they have made things so difficult.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Lighter board makes lighter swing weight for the advantage. That makes EPS builds great for bigger dudes slinging bigger boards into the lip and usually strength advantage for them too. Lighter swing is great for all in small waves. Big waves, chop, offshores is preference or tolerance of +/-s. Weighing boards not always about lightest, can also measure consistency in glassing/sanding and in dupe attempts.
Lighter boards nice for the shoulders as you get older too. Rode a weightier fish for the first time in months this morning and post surf my left shoulder pain is apparent whereas the lighter boards I have been riding have no such problem.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Besides durability the thing that’s a con with really light boars is it doesn’t have momentum paddling into a wave. At least for me. My mom blessed/cursed me with short arms, not quite Purple Barney Dino arms but…..when I stop paddling boar stops. Same size boar glassed a tad heavier feels like it glides in and under easier.

Another con is falling or kicking out and the wind catching boar and turning into a boomerang at my head.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm not going to give a lot away, but I have had really good results on a simple poly build using a combo of PVC stringers.
I've made one board with a PVC stringer. White stringer with black glue up. Can confirm a lot of flex, especially on the glassing racks. This was a 5'9P blank in red density. I think it was a good blank for a grom board but would have flexed like a wet noodle under the feet of a powerful adult. You'd end up adding carbon to control the flex.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Besides durability the thing that’s a con with really light boars is it doesn’t have momentum paddling into a wave. At least for me. My mom blessed/cursed me with short arms, not quite Purple Barney Dino arms but…..when I stop paddling boar stops. Same size boar glassed a tad heavier feels like it glides in and under easier.

Another con is falling or kicking out and the wind catching boar and turning into a boomerang at my head.
I'm really noticing that with the balsa boards I'm riding at the moment- the extra momentum paddling into a wave is really noticeable.

Sure, you need the muscle strength to drive that and as Pete mentioned, that might put extra strain on shoulders.

But for me it really offers an advantage.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I've made one board with a PVC stringer. White stringer with black glue up. Can confirm a lot of flex, especially on the glassing racks. This was a 5'9P blank in red density. I think it was a good blank for a grom board but would have flexed like a wet noodle under the feet of a powerful adult. You'd end up adding carbon to control the flex.
That's why I said use a "combo" of stringers. Multiple stringers. No carbon fiber necessary. 59P-60P is a good blank for a grom board if your hand shaping it. Kind of a pain to machine but I've pulled plenty of sub five footers out of them for mini rippers.

USB used to make a fiberglass stringer but I never tried it. It was expensive. I liked the concept but hardly anyone gave them a go.

But as I remember, there are two thicknesses of PVC. 3-4mm Now start creatively placing said stringers in the blank. I really only tried three configurations. But I can envision a LOT of variations. My favorite small wave board is 3" thick and has three PVC stringers. I was paranoid about snapping it. In retrospect, I think I could have easily gone with two. One of my shapers had multiple team riders on two PVC stringers. Then you can start playing with the glassing schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm really noticing that with the balsa boards I'm riding at the moment- the extra momentum paddling into a wave is really noticeable.
That's one of the things I don't like about EPS builds. You stop paddling, the board stops moving rather quickly. Takes a few extra strokes.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I see they do the Chilli Mid Strength too. See if you could get a go on one - on just a pu/pe one.