Endtimes for the Surfboard Industry?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Purple G10s.

I think they/I need a trailer.

Felt fast but would randomly disengage/reengage.

Just about blew out my knee. Trimming down the line “these fins are fucking fast” then sudden release “oh sh!t”, back leg now completely straight with knee fully locked out - hey let’s suddenly and with authority regrip. Pop.

Going to try them on my Ghost with nubs in the rear quads… :shrug:

TBH, I think they just don’t have enough surface area for the way I surf.
I'm fortunate to surf in boardshorts most of the year so I can easily take a trailer or a couple of nubsters in my boardshorts pocket with me when fine tuning.
I'd be trying a trailer in the thruster box/plug which should give you the hold. In a ghost you may only need a nubster in the thruster box.
If you're thinking its lack of surface area then naturally you do the same as if it was any other fin where you're losing engagement and run more area in the rear fin/fins to re-establish that hold so you may find a workable combo yet.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm fortunate to surf in boardshorts most of the year so I can easily take a trailer or a couple of nubsters in my boardshorts pocket with me when fine tuning.
I'd be trying a trailer in the thruster box/plug which should give you the hold. In a ghost you may only need a nubster in the thruster box.
If you're thinking its lack of surface area then naturally you do the same as if it was any other fin where you're losing engagement and run more area in the rear fin/fins to re-establish that hold so you may find a workable combo yet.
Twinsman only has two boxes.

I’ll put em in the ghost with a ci trailer and report back.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Twinsman only has two boxes.

I’ll put em in the ghost with a ci trailer and report back.
Yeah was aware the twinsman is a twin (something in the name ha ha). For typical keel twin fish the 480 template is the go which I have never tried.
Be cool if they work in the ghost but even TC uses the pro 440s as a thruster in his Black beauty.
Running the twins you have in a MR/RNF kinda planshaped twinny is where they will work best.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Weight of a board is significantly noticeable in performance differences, more-so than materials.
I'd agree.

You know what's interesting, I've never found myself wishing a modern board was lighter.

I've definitely found myself wishing a board was heavier.

But lighter- nope, never.

“P/U” is the best material for surfboards like McDonalds is the best place for burgers. They both can serve the most people.
P/U is more like the ribeye of surfboards. It's the best all around. Other cuts might be good, and maybe better in certain situations, but generally speaking you're never going to go wrong with a ribeye.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yeah, the McDonalds analogy sucks.

It's the reverse actually- PU/PE is best for customisation right up to the the elite level.
It's what most Pros ride.

Feels great, reliable handling, easily customised, repeatable.

EPS/Epoxy is the standard construction for OS pop-outs ( or some variation thereof)- it's much closer to the McDonalds of surfboards.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'd agree.

You know what's interesting, I've never found myself wishing a modern board was lighter.

I've definitely found myself wishing a board was heavier.

But lighter- nope, never.

P/U is more like the ribeye of surfboards. It's the best all around. Other cuts might be good, and maybe better in certain situations, but generally speaking you're never going to go wrong with a ribeye.
I used to be a “heavy” board evangelist but then I started riding dark arts boards.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
And then the offshores started howling.
And I used to believe this poppycock as well.

Yes, a lighter board will be affected by wind. Ok. Put a 210 pound man on top of it, now what?

Nose width and front-end bottom contours have more of an effect. Narrow nose with vee FTW.

What’s that you say? Chop? Oh, yeah. That is a materials matter, not board weight. P/U is the undisputed king of chop.

This reminds me of cyclists who spend an extra couple thousands dollars to shave a pound or two off their bike but refuse to stop eating cookies.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Yes, a lighter board will be affected by wind. Ok. Put a 210 pound man on top of it, now what?
Not poppycock, and depends on how big the wave is.

This reminds me of cyclists who spend an extra couple thousands dollars to shave a pound or two off their bike but refuse to stop eating cookies.
Was this supposed to be ironic or was it unintentional?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not poppycock, and depends on how big the wave is.
The benefits of a lighter board diminish as wave size increases. That doesn’t mean what you think It means.

Was this supposed to be ironic or was it unintentional?
The point is that the effects of the weight of your equipment (bike or surfboard) can be overwhelmed by the weight of the user.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Mate, you can order a custom with any of those specs and get as much special build treatment as you want.

I was just in Byron, heaps of ex-pro boards for sale on the racks.

I've ridden plenty of ex-pro boards- I can't really tell the difference between them and a retail board. Most of it comes down to the subjective preferences of pros- of which a high amount would be completely psycho-somatic and not based in any material, measurable reality.

Seen enough pro discards picked up by others and shredded on/preferred to have a high degree of confidence in that assessment.

We're talking fiddly, subjective details not significant differences.

I wanna lightweight pro-style board?

Easy, the glass shop up the hill from me does DHD's and has lammed/sanded plenty of Fanning's boards- I just specify that in the order.

His dims are pretty close to mine, I could ride his boards.
yes, you are right. I am completely overstating the significance of small variations in PE lams and sanding on performance. That extra 2oz deck s glass, I spoke of had no difference on my ability to actually surf. It was only in small waves when bouncing the board in fish killers that I thought I could perceive a difference in flex.

I always wondered how useful that quest for a specific weight by some pros really mattered to them in real measurable functional terms. I've heard some elite athletes need to do things such as put their socks on in a specific order before playing a game.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

...The point is that the effects of the weight of your equipment (bike or surfboard) can be overwhelmed by the weight of the user.
Re howling offshores. Interesting thought - a lighter rider would benefit more from extra surfboard weight than a heavier rider. Is that what you are suggesting? I never thought of it like that before, but it does make sense!