East vs. West

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
To my point: this is just a day with waves. Good, fun, but certainly not epic by WC standards. EC guys that live in zones that get this "regularly" (once a month), often amidst 40 degree water and colder air, are stocked and hardcore, but I'll take the WC's 70 degree air, 60 degree water and days like this on the regular.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Keen lovely images and El Ogro thanks for the suggestion.

But it looks like Zooport. And NONE of the pictures were of Erica Hosseini?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

What.
The.
Fuck.

I remember the local interest surf magazine here, Void, had one of those "word on the street" or whatever features with the face shot, name, age, occupation, and "what is the worst Christmas song."

Santa Baby was the most-nominated song for worst Christmas song. I figured, good call, Santa Baby does kind of suck.

Then it was brought to my attention: Santa Baby ain't all bad by a looooong shot.

Reactions: keenfish

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
To my point: this is just a day with waves. Good, fun, but certainly not epic by WC standards. EC guys that live in zones that get this "regularly" (once a month), often amidst 40 degree water and colder air, are stocked and hardcore, but I'll take the WC's 70 degree air, 60 degree water and days like this on the regular.
Those are not just regular days in newport or southern california for that matter. That is pumping but not all time conditions. Yes this happens far more often and with far warmer conditions than the east coast.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Surfed in New York today, sunny, not too cold, nice groundswell. Just me and one guy sitting about 100 yards apart from one another. Small groundswell 1'-3' @10 seconds is fairly normal. Great opportunities for longboarding.

I'd probably lean towards the west coast having better waves overall - but i would not trade due to the conditions regularly experience and described above.

Reactions: One-Off

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Keen lovely images and El Ogro thanks for the suggestion.

But it looks like Zooport. And NONE of the pictures were of Erica Hosseini?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

What.
The.
fook.

I remember the local interest surf magazine here, Void, had one of those "word on the street" or whatever features with the face shot, name, age, occupation, and "what is the worst Christmas song."

Santa Baby was the most-nominated song for worst Christmas song. I figured, good call, Santa Baby does kind of suck.

Then it was brought to my attention: Santa Baby ain't all bad by a looooong shot.

She just had a baby.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Those are not just regular days in newport or southern california for that matter. That is pumping but not all time conditions. Yes this happens far more often and with far warmer conditions than the east coast.
I didn’t ask him for all time conditions. That would crowd it up chop chop. I’m not gonna be that guy.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I'll never understand why people so badly want to prove where they live has waves. If it's uncrowded and perfect I'd try to keep it that way.
good luck finding me. People have been surfing for 50+ years in a zone that's about 40 miles wide. It's no secret. People are lazy, have work, don't care. I doubt that will change.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I know the region of which you speak and I can attest that even after living and surfing here most of my 42 years, there are countless spots in that 40 mile stretch that I’ve never even seen, let alone surfed... You really just need to know and have access to whatever lonely stretch of beach has a good peak that week/month/season. that may involve walking an hour in February lol. Hell, entire stretches of Long Island are barely accessible, protected stretches of national seashore

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I know the region of which you speak and I can attest that even after living and surfing here most of my 42 years, there are countless spots in that 40 mile stretch that I’ve never even seen, let alone surfed... You really just need to know and have access to whatever lonely stretch of beach has a good peak that week/month/season. that may involve walking an hour in February lol. Hell, entire stretches of Long Island are barely accessible, protected stretches of national seashore
Exactly.

I'm excited for the day where we end up at the same peak together as the only ones there and randomly strike up a conversation, as one does.

Reactions: Subway

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Exactly.

I'm excited for the day where we end up at the same peak together as the only ones there and randomly strike up a conversation, as one does.
More likely You subway manbearpig and I will all collide on a sh!t day at Stincoln, boards get tangled up, run over by a chick on a wavestorm. . I will know its Subway because he will find the silver lining...