East vs. West

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
crowds everywhere all year at all sizes.
SoCal and Santa Cruz, yes. Elsewhere, the dream is still alive. I had a six people over 300 yards of grunty, HH+ good beachbreak. A glassy afternoon completely alone in chest high tapered runners. A sunny Sunday with 5-6 people on each peak, and the one I was surfing, I was the only person they didn't know by name, and I got every third left as if I went to Pre-K with them. They even waited in order during lulls vs re-scrumming for priority.

Reactions: rice and Rlacey111

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
In the east? Maybe 1 or 2, but it would be a once in a decade hurricane swell with perfect everything to make it work like a sort of rincon
I dunno man. I’d like to hear what that 1 or 2 spots is that compares to rincon. I do agree there are spots in the east that hold their weight on the right days to the west coast, and many other places, and are even better than probably 95% of them. But I cant think of anywhere that compares to the queen over here. Ive surfed most of the NE, but maybe I just missed those spots

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I dunno man. I’d like to hear what that 1 or 2 spots is that compares to rincon. I do agree there are spots in the east that hold their weight on the right days to the west coast, and many other places, and are even better than probably 95% of them. But I cant think of anywhere that compares to the queen over here. Ive surfed most of the NE, but maybe I just missed those spots
May PJ and some mysto spots on the Islands on an end of the world hurricane swell, but probably not. Edit, Do we include Nova Scotia in the EC?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
PJ, no freaking way. I spent a lot of time surfing that wave.

I don’t think there’s a point in the northeast that matches the length and, opportunity, for length of barrel in the east.

if NS is included I could see that possibly changing things.

Reactions: menobrah and mundus

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Holy Christ what kind of insanity is this. I have surfed up and down the East Coast for the last 22yrs now, grew up surfing in socal - norcal for college til I moved to this wave desert. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing on the east coast touches rincon. Nothing. Hell nothing touches lowers, or swamis, or steamer lane, or moss landing, or all of the la jolla spots, the list is too long to even mention. To say that the EC is on par with Blacks is batshit crazy...perfect A frame canyon sets, there is nothing in the outer banks that comes close, and the outer banks is as good as it gets around here imo. Your gonna argue that the wall or point judith or some other sh!t spot can hold a candle to the queen of the coast? If so you must have never seen rincon when its on. Your post must be satire, I genuinely hope it is....
I’ve lived in the east I’m from the west, lived in australia Too.

clearly rincon is the best wave in the continental USA when it’s on. It’s the only wave I’ve surfed in America that compares to Australian points like snapper, Lennox, burleigh, angourie etc…

an average east coast beach break with swell is hands down better than most west coast beach break and average spots. Going back to comparison with blacks though again you are comparing world class when it’s on.

im not going to name spots but NH has right and left points, and just south has pumping beach break that rival the majority of west coast beach break

i will concede that Our best west coast spots are better than the best east coast spots but compared to Australia both of your coasts suck dick

Consistency is crap in the east coast and flexibility is king. Without flexibility it’s near impossible to score.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Since this has turned into a friendly debate, I’ll disagree with you on that NH beach break.

although south of there is a stretch of beach break that rivals anywhere as far as a beach break goes.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’ve lived in the east I’m from the west, lived in australia Too.

clearly rincon is the best wave in the continental USA when it’s on. It’s the only wave I’ve surfed in America that compares to Australian points like snapper, Lennox, burleigh, angourie etc…

an average east coast beach break with swell is hands down better than most west coast beach break and average spots. Going back to comparison with blacks though again you are comparing world class when it’s on.

im not going to name spots but NH has right and left points, and just south has pumping beach break that rival the majority of west coast beach break

i will concede that Our best west coast spots are better than the best east coast spots but compared to Australia both of your coasts suck dick

Consistency is crap in the east coast and flexibility is king. Without flexibility it’s near impossible to score.
Keenfish can post some Newport pictures that are representative of the way I knew it in the early 70’s. Like a bunch of pictures.

@keenfish pay attention.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Since this has turned into a friendly debate, I’ll disagree with you on that NH beach break.

although south of there is a stretch of beach break that rivals anywhere as far as a beach break goes.
i think we are thinking of the same spot. South as In close but not in NH. The beach break in NH is mediocre.but the spot I’m thinking of has heaving barrels when it’s on and is consistently hollow when it breaks.AAAEF5C4-1102-4CB5-A8B3-3B9B3457DAB8.jpeg

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Ya'll are comparing a once every 3 years swell at a particular spot or two to an average day in california. "That swell back in 84 was as good as a mediocre day at rincon, then the army corps of engineers came in...."

• Haha
Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
west coast gets way more swell from way more directions/periods and way more often, and a long coastline if you like driving, and crowds everywhere all year at all sizes.

as someone who has surfed both extensively for years, yes to California overall no brainer…if you don’t mind driving and don’t have a 9-5 job, and traffic doesn’t bother you, you can easily have a fun to epic day of surf 300+ days a year.

but man, when conditions align for the east end, or this end of LI, or jersey gets juuuuuust the right period and chunky and super hollow, it gets epic. The photos and vids don’t lie, even if they are cherry picked and usually the best surfers in that area or state. It’s rare but we do in fact get days and sessions that can still blow my mind, and I’ve surfed many of this hemispheres best waves on their better days. Actually tavarua is the eastern hemisphere, but you get what I’m saying.. I’ve surfed truly perfect and heavy and scary and powerful top shelf brand name surf spots on some of their better days, and I still can be impressed and blown away with an overhead short period a framing hollow day down the block. It just happens more often some years than others

And when the cold thins the crowd, you really can luck into some frigid but truly and deeply satisfying sessions. I feel like I had more of those winters the first 4 years or so since I moved to LB, the last few years have been pretty blah all in.

And I will freely admit the one day 2 weeks ago we finally got a fun looking chest high wave, it was 18 degrees with crisp north winds (so the windchill was below 0 F) and I just couldn’t motivate for it. Had I manned up and suited up, I may have had one of those late afternoon sunset sessions where you’re just surfing with a few guys on a peak or jetty, maybe you know a couple, maybe not, but its mostly empty and fun and freezing cold and for an hour you don’t care and have a blast.

but It was too damn cold. 10 years ago I would have probably surfed twice. I’ll still gladly and hope to soon surf, but it’s gotta at least be sunny, light winds, not arctic, just normal winter temps in like, the 30s or low 40s. Those I’m still fine with.
29 degrees when I paddled out this morning. No wind. Sun warming me as it got higher. Official water temperature was 39 but I think it was a bit warmer than that. Two sessions by 1:00. Waves weren't epic, chest to shoulder high and glassy . Wish there had been a little more power. 50 to 60 yard rides on a shortboard. Crowd at the jetty I was at peaked at 3 other than myself. Just good fun. I'll take it. :cool:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
i think we are thinking of the same spot. South as In close but not in NH. The beach break in NH is mediocre.but the spot I’m thinking of has heaving barrels when it’s on and is consistently hollow when it breaks.View attachment 123004
Right on I thought you meant still in NH. If we’re talking about the same spot I had a pretty intense obsession with the zone and dropped anything at the hint of decent swell up there. Got some of the best barrels of my life there.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Ya'll are comparing a once every 3 years swell at a particular spot or two to an average day in california. "That swell back in 84 was as good as a mediocre day at rincon, then the army corps of engineers came in...."
be honest with yourself...how often is rincon actually good? Its horribly inconsistent as is any wave north of there and south of pt. conception.

Yes the SE sucks and is much worse than california but new england has numerous swells a year at spots that have california quality waves. and an average beachbreak in the northeast has more power and is more hollow than an average socal beachbreak. newport/HB and los angeles are no better quality and arguably just as closed out if not more than new jersey or outer banks. The east coast 100% lacks consistency compared to california for sure.

East coasters from some reason love to fetishize the west coast when in really it's mostly a stretch of crowded, mushy, mediocre waves at all but the standout spots when they are good. I live in NCSD and we have great waves like Swamis and I can count on my 2 hands the number of days its actually gets good every year and if worth surfing on anything besides a longboard. Blacks although it pulls in a lot of swell is a crowded closeout most of the time.

my reference point is to socal mostly but santa cruz north shits on everywhere else in the country for quality and consistency.

Right on I thought you meant still in NH. If we’re talking about the same spot I had a pretty intense obsession with the zone and dropped anything at the hint of decent swell up there. Got some of the best barrels of my life there.
if we are thinking of the same place and i will leave the name off for respect of locals it produces some of the very best beach break I have ever surfed without much crowd. When its on its really really on and rivals anything beach break wise i've seen in california or australia

Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
be honest with yourself...how often is rincon actually good? Its horribly inconsistent as is any wave north of there and south of pt. conception.

Yes the SE sucks and is much worse than california but new england has numerous swells a year at spots that have california quality waves. and an average beachbreak in the northeast has more power and is more hollow than an average socal beachbreak. newport/HB and los angeles are no better quality and arguably just as closed out if not more than new jersey or outer banks. The east coast 100% lacks consistency compared to california for sure.

East coasters from some reason love to fetishize the west coast when in really it's mostly a stretch of crowded, mushy, mediocre waves at all but the standout spots when they are good. I live in NCSD and we have great waves like Swamis and I can count on my 2 hands the number of days its actually gets good every year and if worth surfing on anything besides a longboard. Blacks although it pulls in a lot of swell is a crowded closeout most of the time.

my reference point is to socal mostly but santa cruz north shits on everywhere else in the country for quality and consistency.

if we are thinking of the same place and i will leave the name off for respect of locals it produces some of the very best beach break I have ever surfed without much crowd. When its on its really really on and rivals anything beach break wise i've seen in california or australia
agreed, Rincon may have 10 stand out days on a really good year and it doesn't break all the time. A lot of crap waves in CA too, just more varied setups that can handle a wider variety of swells. East OZ gets very good, many hollow shorter period setups and probably has many more good days a year than CA or EC US

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
If consistency is taken into play I think rincon still wins. I just don’t think there is any point break that is comparable in the NE. And the NE is dreadfully inconsistent for any kind of quality as well so it’s not like that zone irks out ahead based on that category.

even Malibu is going to be a longer wave than just about anywhere in the NE, albeit no barrel factor like the con.

100% agree about CA largely being overblown, which probably gets overlooked by most due to excitement of a surf trip and nspots.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
agreed, Rincon may have 10 stand out days on a really good year and it doesn't break all the time. A lot of crap waves in CA too, just more varied setups that can handle a wider variety of swells. East OZ gets very good, many hollow shorter period setups and probably has many more good days a year than CA or EC US
snapper shits on just about anything in california not to mention the other points and Dbah is crazy consistent all sorts of rippable. and the northern NSW points like lennox and angourie are insane as are the beachbreaks if you can get over the shark pucker factor. plus the water is super warm most of the year

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
If consistency is taken into play I think rincon still wins. I just don’t think there is any point break that is comparable in the NE. And the NE is dreadfully inconsistent for any kind of quality as well so it’s not like that zone irks out ahead based on that category.

even Malibu is going to be a longer wave than just about anywhere in the NE, albeit no barrel factor like the con.

100% agree about CA largely being overblown, which probably gets overlooked by most due to excitement of a surf trip and nspots.
best california spots and especially point breaks are 100% better in california than east coast. The truth is though most people arent surfing those spots and they only get a good a handful of times per year.

Nothing compares to rincon, malibu, steamer lane, LJ reefs etc...but you are right california is way overblown when compared to other surf meccas such as central/south america, australia, indo, hawaii, puerto rico etc...

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020

New Hampshire is one of the few states on the east coast I haven't surf in, so I'll have to take your word for it. Always seemed to me to be flat and cold for weeks at a time then occasionally a very good day where everyone drives up to crowd a couple freezing cold spots. I don't surf nearly as competently with gloves boot hood so maybe I'm just too slow to realize the goodness.

California was very fun even on "small" days.