Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ICU entry rate for covid is well under 1% of those infected.
Correct - under 1%.

But he entered the ICU.

It's a whole different ballgame there.

Your odds if you end up in the ICU are very poor.

The survival rate in ICU is around 30%.

The death rate is around 70%

In other words, making it out of there is a big fvcking deal.

And beyond that, a lot of patients in the ICU that survive can't go home, they're discharged to a facility awake and oriented but ventilator dependent w/ tracheostomy and feeding tube.

The fact that he was discharged from the hospital to home after an ICU stay is even a big deal.

Which is what his brother meant.

So yes he beat the odds, in more ways than one.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
He may never be the same. Wonder if he will surf again. I have heard stories of people that had covid that have crazy permanent issues after getting it. This is a shame but was preventable.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The trip is how some people don't get and some people get it a little and then it totally fucks up some people and then it kills people.

I get the sense the wife is trying to create a rosy picture.

Thanks Faouchi

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Genetics, underlying health (age and weight and etc) , and vitamin D levels, in my totally uneducated opinion, are the main determinants, perhaps even more important than the mRNA vaccines, in how severe a persons experience with Covid will be. If you have bad genetic luck, I think that’s where these outlier examples of severe cases in otherwise healthy people come from

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Looks like he was trying to climb up something to take a picture or whatever, the rocks were slippery cause they're close to the water and he slid down the rocks/stairs and fucked up both his feet. Gnarly pics. Gross. Hope he can surf again. Damn. Be careful out there folks.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Our lives have changed greatly; freedoms temporarily suspended. We thought I’d be able to go back to work when he got home, no longer needing to drive to a hospital every day. But we can’t leave him alone just yet.

We depend on things we never needed before; constant flow of oxygen, wheelchair, a walker and medicines. These foreign things replaced paddleboards and his electric bike.

Drew’s new goal is to navigate around the house by himself without needing someone to follow.

The strangest part of that update...
What a fuckin weirdo

Reactions: Boneroni