Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A couple of decades ago my wife spent some time in ICU.
It cost nothing.
Nor were there money grabbing insurance companies haggling with money grabbing hospitals.

Consequently we do not have to go begging on the internet.
Because we live in a civilised country. :poke:
Internet begging trips me out.

It makes me feel old.

The lack of shame for asking strangers for money is weird.

But if anyone here would like to give me some free money please PM me. :dancing:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
which one?

is this the same one who locks citizens in major cities inside for months at a time besides the 1 hour daily "yard time"?

had intentions to move to Oz before corona, after seeing what they did to their own citizens I'm no longer interested

nanny state to the maxx

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
which one?

is this the same one who locks citizens in major cities inside for months at a time besides the 1 hour daily "yard time"?

had intentions to move to Oz before corona, after seeing what they did to their own citizens I'm no longer interested

nanny state to the maxx
Are you from Serbia and play tennis?
I'm UK so your insults are lost on me :)

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
which one?

nanny state to the maxx
what country is doing it right?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Are you from Serbia and play tennis?
I'm UK so your insults are lost on me :)
Euros pay more in income tax to have all the services deemed as "free". Your NHS and the royals are funded by the average working stiff. Many people with national health care carry private insurance in addition. We see that when govt takes charge of something usually the results are much poorer than professional entities. But hey, enjoy that "free" health care while it lasts ;)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A couple of decades ago my wife spent some time in ICU.
It cost nothing.
Nor were there money grabbing insurance companies haggling with money grabbing hospitals.
Consequently we do not have to go begging on the internet.
You're the same as the "USA has the best healthcare on the planet" crowd.

Because you're both wrong...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The USA must have the best healthcare in the world which is why it costs so much to have routine procedures like baby delivery, post-delivery audiology, a doctor's visit, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm still trippingon 60 fcking days in the ICU.
It's pretty common with survivors. Even longer.

It seems most end up trach'd n PEGged (tracheostomy + feeding tube).

A lot leave for LTAC with some degree of being ventilator dependent.

Wife probably painting a much brighter picture than reality.

It can't be emphasized enough - these patients that spend months in ICU for COVID have been to hell and back.

Extreme amounts of sedatives for weeks to months not to mention paralytics really fucks the mind and body. Not to mention the proning, ventilator, the pressure injuries, the dialysis, the invasive procedures, the nosocomial infections.

However bad you think it is...the reality is worse than you can imagine.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The USA must have the best healthcare in the world which is why it costs so much to have routine procedures like baby delivery, post-delivery audiology, a doctor's visit, etc.

I know you're being sarcastic, but his is very funny logic I have not yet heard.

I think I'm going to have to borrow it for later use.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Euros pay more in income tax to have all the services deemed as "free". Your NHS and the royals are funded by the average working stiff. Many people with national health care carry private insurance in addition. We see that when govt takes charge of something usually the results are much poorer than professional entities. But hey, enjoy that "free" health care while it lasts ;)
Luckily, you have no idea what youre talking about.

Ask any Brit if they would get rid of the NHS if favor of the American healthcare and they will laugh in your face.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Having a hell of winter so far?
Its not bad as most are fully jabbed and although Omicron is rife the death toll isn't much different as far as I can tell.

Yes I was being provocative but no I never even implied we had the best healthcare in the world just that it had some obvious advantages over the USA's setup.
As plasticbertrand says above.
Something that probably never crossed your radar: During the first lockdown ( we were asked to stay home by the government) here at the same time every thursday evening the uk population en-masse went out into the street and applauded the NHS staff for their life saving efforts. The NHS is actually a thing of pride and yes its run by professionals and from your other comments you clearly don't get what it is - its for the people (average working stiff) and is paid for by everyone.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
March 17, 2022by JAMES BROPHY, Organizer
Update by Maria Brophy:

After 112 days in a hospital, Drew was released to finally go home on March 8th, on his 51st birthday!

We did it! He beat the odds. He made it through the worst of it.

As we left the hospital, Drew joked, “I’m out on parole!”

Before discharge, Dylan and I got training on how to help Drew ambulate. He is frail and needs someone to spot him when he moves. We tie a belt around his waist and slip one hand in to catch him if he slips.

Driving home on the freeway, Drew loved the mountain view and kept saying “this is amazing.”

We got home and Drew’s mom and sister were waiting with “Happy Birthday” balloons. A big banner signed by friends was hung in the front yard by our friend Gary Headrick . Drew got tears in his eyes. He was so happy to be home after 4 months away.

We have arranged for physical therapy, occupational therapy, a nurse and body healers to come to the house to work with him 6 days a week. This is what it will take to have Drew walking on his own.

Our lives have changed greatly; freedoms temporarily suspended. We thought I’d be able to go back to work when he got home, no longer needing to drive to a hospital every day. But we can’t leave him alone just yet.

We depend on things we never needed before; constant flow of oxygen, wheelchair, a walker and medicines. These foreign things replaced paddleboards and his electric bike.

Drew’s new goal is to navigate around the house by himself without needing someone to follow.

We try to feel like nothing’s changed, getting back to the things we used to do, that we can still do now. I make a good meal that we enjoy at the table. We watch our favorite series at night; Yellowstone and 1883. And sometimes the Beverly Hillbillies reruns if we need a laugh!

This road is a lot longer and harder than we thought.

But we are so grateful to have him home, miraculously alive and recovering!

It is a gift that we will never take for granted.

Thanks for caring, everyone. Your donations are covering all these extra costs of medical care, physical therapy and Drew and I being out of work for over 4 months, Drew probably for 6 more.

We appreciate all the help you've given. It is making Drew's recovery smoother.

Thank you and know that we love you all!
Xoxo

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Refuses to get a safe, free vaccine and has other people pay for his idiocy, now we are supposed to see him as some kind of hero?

Reactions: $kully and sussle