Double Drowning

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I think you'd want to go under the waves and have low resistance to currents until getting out of that spot so floatation could be a problem until getting past the waves.

Reactions: santacruzin

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Lasted about 25 seconds before I had to turn it off. Stuff like that triggers the fook out of me.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Fook. Tough to watch.

how deep is it there? Looks relatively shallow ~15ft.

please tell me she jumped when it didn’t look VAS and then things took a turn for the worst.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Fook. Tough to watch.

how deep is it there? Looks relatively shallow ~15ft.

please tell me she jumped when it didn’t look VAS and then things took a turn for the worst.
What does VAS mean?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Jumping in is the easy part. Won't even click on it knowing the outcome, watched it at Makapu'u. Guy picking opihi got swept in, whole family on the beach, guy didn't make it.

Maybe if the guy had a plan or any experience saving people, but looked like he jumped without either. Terrible.

Reactions: keenfish

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Mugu rock at the southern end of Ventura Co is some kind of magnet for drownings. Unfortunate
that a surfer passing by with a board on the roof hasn't been in the vicinity. I tried to rescue swim
my gf around a swimming pool and I was underwater. If you can find anything that is buoyant chuck
it out there or take it with you.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Mugu rock at the southern end of Ventura Co is some kind of magnet for drownings.
Mostly fishermen I think. One goes in and another follows to try saving them and they both drown.

I tried to rescue swim my gf around a swimming pool and I was underwater.
Someone who's drowning or can't swim will unintentionally try to drown the rescuer by trying to climb on top of them. You need to be aware of that, swim under or around them so you approach from behind, and get your arm over their shoulder and into a lock, then side-swim keeping their head above water. They may struggle against you so it probably won't be easy.

Size also matters. I played dead in a pool once and my wife couldn't get me to the surface. She's a pretty good swimmer but weighs around 100 lbs and I weigh 175 lbs.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Mostly fishermen I think. One goes in and another follows to try saving them and they both drown.

Someone who's drowning or can't swim will unintentionally try to drown the rescuer by trying to climb on top of them. You need to be aware of that, swim under or around them so you approach from behind, and get your arm over their shoulder and into a lock, then side-swim keeping their head above water. They may struggle against you so it probably won't be easy.
I don't recommend this unless you have a world-class eggbeater. Talk to them calmly, smile, and try to pull them by the hand so that you can kick them away if they try to climb you like you're playing waterpolo. Oi! Check out these Aussies making a rescue

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I don't recommend this unless you have a world-class eggbeater. Talk to them calmly, smile, and try to pull them by the hand so that you can kick them away if they try to climb you like you're playing waterpolo. Oi! Check out these Aussies making a rescue
I've only done it in training and don't recall it being that hard.

"Risking their lives" :LOL: Were they risking their lives when they paddled out that day?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Making rescues is different than paddling out.
I didn't watch the whole video but yeah, you're right, there's no one to flirt with when just paddling out. One of the dudes said himself that "it wasn't a big thing."

And let's see, topless teenage girl cling-on in shallow water on a calm day with a bouy, fins, and backup. Sounds terrifying!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
What was he supposed to say - I'm awesome worship me? Don't most heroes say the same thing?

Testimony of a veteran lifeguard on the experience and my experience making ocean rescues vs. you with no experience. I like where this is headed.
If you recall, I started out cautioning about the danger of distressed people in the water. In the video you posted, it looked like the dude who rescued the man didn't have a flotation device of any kind and apparently did fine. Seems to counter the initial point you were making about the essential need for a flotation device. In some situations, maybe it's better to not have one, like we were talking about earlier with the Spain incident. Hard to know because no one is going to put themselves in that kind of situation in order to figure out the best method.

Drowning people are dangerous, got it. (y)

Reactions: PRCD